Buying only NYIP Course Material Worthwhile?

jonathan_combs

<p>I found someone selling NYIP course material on Craigslist. They are asking $200 or best offer, and I am wondering if it would be worth the investment. I am planning on going through the course, I just don't know if I would be better off paying for the full course, or if getting the materials only at such a discounted rate would be a better approach.</p>

<p>The answer is.....maybe.....first of all you can probably get it cheaper on Ebay. Also, be aware that the material is old. It's good though. Tons of reading. If you are looking for anything about digital camera, forget it. If you want photography theory, then go for it.<br>

As far as taking the course, the only thing you would be getting in addition is feedback on your pictures. Personally, I would recommend taking more current courses. For the price of the entire course (purchased from NYIP), you could take 5 courses online. Highly recommend www.ppsop.com</p>

They got tips in there that you cannnot find any place else. Their teaching style is different sort of simplified, but that's what makes it stick(at least for me). I'm not sure which course you are talking about, the analog, or the digital course.

I took both courses and enjoyed them very much although I had to beef up some course materials with my own research. Actually I enjoyed these course more than a real life course at community college, or any of the workshops I attended.

I don't think purchasing these materials on Ebay or Craiglist will help you much. These courses are meant for you to go through them. There is a quiz and a shooting assignments at the end of each Lesson. Some assignments are simple, but some are more complicated.

I have several How-To books which are sitting collecting dust on the shelf because they are just about reading. No interaction is really involved unless you are super motivated. Some of these cheap online courses are just rehashes of the same stuff you can find online on your own, so beware.

<p>Jonathan<br>

IMHO, when you pay the full rate for the NYIP course, you are also paying for the correction of the homeworks... for the consultation service... for the right of getting your diploma... in short, you pay for the support of the Institution... Basically, is what Harry mentioned... I second his main idea<br>

I liked and enjoined the whole course... <br>

JC</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<p>Frankly, I was greatly disappointed after digging into NYIP. You'd save money and be better off checking your community colleges or universities for courses, then checking the credentials of the faculty. At least then, you'd have academic credit you could use if you needed it for a lot less money and free technology.<br>

I was looking for an MA or MS and NYIP isn't a degree program. Also, I followed up with people from a couple of photography clubs and found the feedback iffy. Some complained they got no feedback, some complained that the feedback was little more than what they got from free videos on Youtube. Some said they had magnificent feedback.<br>

But on another note I think we all should consider:<br>

I don't care for buying copyrighted material from Ebay or Craigslist. Regardless of the quality of NYIP, those guys put together the material, started the business and deserve the resources from sale of materials. I wouldn't like anyone selling my work black market considering that's how I make my living. And I believe in kharma. I wouldn't buy bootlegged lessons because to do so is wrong. Buy it from the producer or look elsewhere.<br>

Frankly, learn to use photo.net. I've learned more stuff here in the last six months about digital photography than from any book I've read. These folks here are out there doing it and learn by trial and error, the best teacher since Socrates.<br>

Also, the reason I like forums is most training programs are so generic, they don't address personal styles. For example, technically, I'm a sharpness junkie. That's why in such debt from buy L-series lenses and cameras with high-res sensors. I found out by accident that you can improve precision by removing even the most expensive haze filter. It's a noticeable difference. I've shared it here and I've never seen it in a photo book or heard it in a classroom. Very good info for free.<br>

h.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I took the NYIP course years ago. I found it extremely helpful. Since our city did not have any community college level photography programs I found this to be the next best thing.<br>

I think it's a mistake to have the materials without the instruction and critique that comes when you actually take the course.<br>

Best of luck,<br>

Brian Tremblay<br>

<a href="http://www.aperturenorthphotoworkshops.com">http://www.aperturenorthphotoworkshops.com</a></p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I did end up buying the material, and am very glad that I did. I only ended up paying $50 for it, and it has been well worth the investment. So far I have only completed Unit 1, but already feel like I am learning quite a bit. I realize that all of the information is available online or in books, but their format seems like a good fit for me.<br>

In response to the concern about buying bootleg material from Craigslist or ebay, I understand the concern. That wasn't the situation here, however. The lady I bought the material from had purchased it and only made it through the first couple of lessons before deciding she did not have time to complete the course. I received from her the complete original set of material, not copies. I view it the same as if I had bought a used Text Book from someone.<br>

Now that I know that I like the NYIP course, I have another decision to make. I am considering enrolling in the actual course, but can't decide if it is worth $750 or not. Basically, I will be getting the updated lessons (I have the older stuff that came with VHS/Casettes), feedback on my photo projects, and access to an adviser if I have questions. I assume that the updated material would be beneficial, even if the only change is coverage of more up to date equipment. It seems that the feedback would be very helpful, but I know I could get feedback for my photos by posting them online if I wanted.<br>

I'd love to hear opinions from anyone who has completed the course. Do you think it is worth spending the money to get the full course experience and updated lessons? Or, since I already have a set of the older material, would I be better off investing the $750 in books and other online sites?</p>

<p>Don't waste your money. I did the same thing. The best stuff is the already $50 that you spent. There are online courses, such as <a href="http://www.ppsop.com">www.ppsop.com</a> which are current, where you can also see the feedback received by other students, and there are bulletin boards where you can ask questions, and learn not only from the instructors, but people that are interested in the same thing you are. For the $750, you could almost take four course worth. Also, you get feedback within days, instead of months.<br>

From what I heard the updated material isn't all that updated. They moved the same stuff from the cassettes and VHS to CD and DVD, and went and updated a few things in the books. Most of the feedback wasn't worth two cents.</p>