Colour Processing Labs - Ottawa (Canada) Suggestions?

<p>Hi Folks,<br>

I'm trying to help out my internet shy friend - he just moved to the Ottawa area (Rockland) and needs to find a good C41/E6 lab for film developing and proofs in his new stomping grounds. He works mainly in 120 and some 35mm, while his LF work is mainly B&W a lab capable of processing 4x5 would be a bonus. He makes his final prints traditionally (darkroom) at home, but due to volume and time constraints gets his film developed commercially along with proofs. Large chains like Henry's are out of the question - they have steadily declined from average to down right disgusting in terms of quality, and their work seems to go to the lowest bidder... Even if film is not damaged, the prints are so off as to be useless for anything but the most cursory idea of content. Transparencies have been known to come back loose in an envelope, scratched to hell... Chemical stains are the norm... Anyhow, we would really appreciate some "local knowledge" of reliable, professional (by this I mean trustworthy and competent) labs in or around Ottawa to handle these jobs. If any of you are aware of a lab that still prints proofs on optical enlargers instead of scanning that would be a real cherry on the cupcake. I did a search, but this is a somewhat time sensitive topic as real labs are dropping like flies in the wake of the epidemic digital infection, and even a post several weeks old may be referring to yet another recent casualty, may they rest in peace. Also, many photo shops that used to things in house now outsource with the same mass produced Walmart quality results. We would really appreciate any and all input and thank you in advance for your help,<br>

Peter.</p>

<p>I used to live in Ottawa and there was a multitude of places to get good development done. However the pro market has switched to digital and this reflects your lack of choices. I have no direct suggestion.</p>

<p>The world is shrinking and perhaps you should entertain sending the film somewhere else to be developed. I now live in Montreal and get my E6 done at <a href="http://www.lozeau.com/Default.aspx?lang_id=E">http://www.lozeau.com/Default.aspx?lang_id=E</a> . They are catering to the surviving 'pros' and semi-pros that still linger here. I have the advantage of physically walking in, but you may have to phone. I suspect they handle LF. For that you should ask.</p>

<p>Ultimately your Friend should reconsider developing. It's the only way to truly manage quality. I do everything myself except E6. I just don't shoot enough E6 to use up the chemicals quick enough.</p>

• 2 weeks later...