D700 with Leica glass Q's for users.

jody_stowitts

<p>Is the focus point(s) grid a nuisance for one used to the clean viewfinders of Leica R? Any other comments (especially on the "down side") about the experience of transitioning to D700 from long term LeicaR use? I've used the Canon 5D with LeicaR and to be sure about PERFECT focus is iffy. Is there a TRULY accurate after market replacement screen with a "no hassles" installation for the D700? Thanking you in advance!</p>

<p>I use the D300, which uses the same viewfinder technology. You don't see multiple focus points in the standard AF modes (just in auto area AF mode, and even then then only the active subset of points). The switchable composition grid is off by default. It's actually a very clean and uncluttered finder. Can't comment on alternate screens, but the focus confirmtion light works well for manual focus.</p>

<p>As an owner of the D700, I did some precise testing on it's focusing accuracy and found the electronic rangefinder to be quite accurate with finer discrimination than the F100 for spot on focus. The matte screen is also good but really requires a 2x eyepiece magnifier for exacting work to detect sight mis-focus. The Katz Eye screen look nice but for a split image aide but the installation requires patience and I don't want to risk keeping a lens off long enough to get dust or dirt on the sensor during the installtion. Since maximum resolution of the sensor only amounts to about the equivalent to 50-60 lp/mm on film, the R glass exceeds this by almost 2X, so slight mis-focus won't really show any significant IQ loss.</p>