It just dawned on me

joseph_leotta

<p>Nikon will never again produce a new lens that will work on a manual focus camera.<br /> I'm playing a lot with film these days and its been a good excuse to get the old toys out. In 40 years that a collection that includes a F, F2, F3 and 3 Nikkormats. None of my newer lens will work on them because their G type lens without a Aperture ring. All new ones are G.<br /> For some reason, yhis hit me like a ton of bricks. I've known about this, its nothing new. But when I was holding my old friends, It just hit home. Their day has passed. I have plenty of lens that work on them so its not a problem, just can't use the newer ones.<br /> It just hit me funny so I'd figured a post was in order. For 30 yeras that was all I shot with. Went auto focus in 2000 after much debate and digital in 2002 again after much debate at the time. The old friends still get used once in a while.<br>

Just don't understand why that have to leave out the ring in new lens.</p>

<p>It's the way the world is. Out with the old and in with the new. I did see some Zeiss lenses for sale in Monterey and they look beautiful. The Zeiss Ikon RF and lenses are very beautiful to see also. I guess if a guy wants to shoot older gear you still can do it. The FE2 is quite capable and of course the F100 is the best deal in film photography currently. The camera's and gear out there will probably outlast film processing anyway. I am going to ride the old horse to the end of the trail myself..</p>

<p>I remember at my local camera store, (I forget what year) picking up an N80 and thought, "Wow, this thing really feels good in my hands."</p>

<p>I proceeded to notice that there was no aperture ring, and handed it right back. I didn't like where things were going. I still enjoy mechanical mode, adjusting exposure with the lens itself.</p>

<p>By manual lenses on eBay or KEH very cheep. I get reed of most of my old non AI & AI-S lenses when the AF and digital started, regretted, and now bought back more of those AI & AI-S lenses for very little money. And happily using them on my digital too. With first class results. Cameras I using; FM, FE, FA, F3 and D40, D300, D700. And I hope, not committing a sin here, I have a whole system of the beautiful Olympus OM-1 -2 cameras and lenses.</p>

<p>Doing landscape, close-ups, etc mostly, Albert is right. It is more enjoyable to manipulate the focus/aperture/speed, then just using your camera as a point a shoot device. Lately I'm getting back to using my cameras on total manual mode, and it feels more comfortable to me, more enjoyable this way to photograph and more easy and faster to compensate what ever compensation I my needed. Oh! And " I never using the lens shade in revers on the lens."</p>

<div>00Uzzd-190201584.jpg.d141e9c15aa8080b458ce1a26f834cd5.jpg</div>

<p>Funnily enough the new PC-E lenses do have aperture rings, but require power (basically a VR-enabled body) to operate those, so they are also pretty much useless on older bodies. That is one reason why I bough the original 85 PC, makes work with extension tubes easier.<br>

For new manual focus lenses, just buy Zeiss.</p>

<p>Bela, that's funny.....lol, I forget sometimes after I take it out of the bag to reverse it because I get in a hurry to get a shot, just like removing my lens cap! Even though all my cameras work on manual, I kinda miss rotating that manual film advance lever! I guess you can equate it to using a bolt action rifle to a machine gun :-0</p>