Turing around and around, next classic camera?

kl122007

<p>I just gave up from using classic but now I am going back again. The reason that I gave up because my old Canon F-1 kit helps me a lot, but I am borded just now. I think I won't go for Japanese stuff any longer and wish back to use classic cameras.<br />There are to many and some of them were tried, such as Retina IIIc, Retina reflex, Voig. Prominet, Contax iia, and Leica IIIB. I won't get back and use them again. I wish to have something "new" and not experienced in classic.<br>

And so I am here to seek for "promotion".<br>

Kevin</p>

<p>You don't want Japanese? Maybe something in a Leica R series or a Practika would work for you? The Leica is expensive but the lenses are top notch, and there are some excellent Practikas that are inexpensive and take M42 lenses. If a Japanese "classic" would do, there's the Nikon F, Pentax K1000 or Spotmatic, various Minoltas (SRT for the tanklike metal box quality or XD11 for smaller Leica-designed classicness with more modern feature set), Topcons (classic RE or the D used by the US navy), etc. </p>

<p>You could try the Russian/Ukrainian cameras, Fed, Zorki, Zenth [M42 SLRs] and the Moskva 120 folders. Also the DDR Pentacons [Contax] and the Prakticas, the Werras, Beirettes, Balda, Beltica etc. There is huge variety. And most of them are not very expensive except some rare stuff like Pentacon Super. Of course, the Exakta series is always to be cherished. You can get superb lenses for all these cameras, especially in the LTM, M42 and the Exakta mounts. Most of them are easily repairable through a home project. best, sp</p>

<p>I have no plan to back to any Japanese camera. There is no reason but just don't want to try them. I wish to back to the German one.<br>

I just checked the price in auction sites. The price is fair but it is still a little higher than last year. I think a folding camera might be good. And I just found some which look like interesting.<br>

1.Voigt. Vitessa;<br /> 2.Super Ikonta B (C or A)<br /> 3.Kodak Motormatic 35 F<br /> 4.Kodak Signet 80<br /> 5.Graflex 35<br>

Which one would you suggest from the list?</p>

<p>A good budget camera for me has been the Moskva 2. The only drawback so far has been no flash sync and the tripod mount has to be reinforced a bit. I ground out the opening on a 3/4" washer to nestle the mount and sit flat on the body. It helps somewhat. It's not a bad hand-held shooter.</p>

<p>I see you mentioned the Kodak Motormatic, keep in mind when shopping for one that it's automatic, thus it will not work well if the selenium meter has gone bad. And, of course, since it's a spring wound mechanism, things can break. So make sure you get some kind of warrantee unless you're paying flea market prices. Not to discourage you here. If you get a good one, it's a good picture taker, and fun to use.</p>

<p>I'm not sure about the other things on the list, but if you're not locked to that list, here are a couple of other possibilities:</p>

<p>How about a compact Voigtlander rangefinder? The Vitomatics of one sort or another are nice to handle, quite compact with a high-quality feel and heft, and usually have good lenses and bright rangefinders. I have a couple of Vitmatic II's, and the selenium meters on both actually work too.</p>

<p>The Argus C-Four is quite competent and rugged, with a sharp lens, and surprisingly it has a hot shoe for flash. More conventional in operation and looks than the older "brick" C-3, and a bit less common, but still pretty inexpensive usually. My only big complaint about my C-four is that it has no strap lugs, like many other cameras of its era, so it's a nuisance to carry unless you have a case.</p>

<p>Or you could get something really entertaining, and look for a Mercury II! These often can be had quite cheaply. If you're not familiar with this one, it's a half-frame 35 mm. camera with an unusual rotary shutter. Decent optics, no rangefinder, and the shutter is nearly silent. Very simple mechanism, and one of the most unusual looking cameras out there. There really is nothing else quite like a Mercury! And yes, it takes pretty good pictures, especially if you favor vertical orientation. It has a hot shoe for flash, but it's not quite standard, so modern flashes may need modification to work. Also lacks strap lugs, but you can't have everything, and if you're bored with ordinary cameras, here's one that's unique in almost every way except that it uses conventional 35 mm. film.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I am intoxicated when I read your replies. The super ikontas are great ! <br /> Thank you for the remindings about Motormatic 35. I will check that when I find one. Mercury is fine but I prefer an Olympus Pen which looks smarter. But because of the limits I won't get the Pen. I have tried Argus C before, and I don't really enjoy the feeling. It is a brick camera.<br>

I think I will get a cheap, handy camera at this this time. SO Vitessa and Ikonta may fall behind the list. Vitomatics are great and their shape is my target. I have a Viotmatic II with skopar already. So the remaining on my list would be Kodak Signet 80. Can anyone comment on this camera?</p>

<p>Rob,<br>

The finder on the Moskva 2 and 4 are very good finders. I have both. The Albada finder on my Super Ikonta C cameras are very poor as they have not aged well.<br>

I have a Moskva 2, 4 and 5. After cleaning the shutters, lenses etc. I find they are as good (at least) as the Super Ikontas.</p>