Contax G2 / Silver Hexar AF noise comparison

arond a.

<p>Hi, as the subject suggests, can anyone compare the noise in focus/operation between the Contax G2 and the Hexar AF? I'm thinking of acquiring a Contax but am curious about what constitutes 'noisy.' I'm familiar with the amount of noise from the silver Hexar AF (no 'silent' mode) and wonder how the Contax G2 compares. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Why actually are you concerned with the noise a camera makes? The intent is to take visual pictures, not aural ones. Modern cameras all do make noise (motors inside). The acute ear of man can hear the cloth shutter of a Leica III from far away, so it can the mirror slap of modern DSLRs etc etc. It (noise of operation) is one price to pay. I find that the G2 noise is hardly noticed, except by myself. Do not become self-conscious of your camera noise; your breathing noise can also be heard across the room and nobody is offended.</p>

<p>In picture taking it is one's awkwardness, ill-at-ease showing/feeling that turns subjects off, not a wee bit of noise or a wee bitter less noise, whatever it may be.</p>

<p>And the G2 is one of the top cameras of the world, cheap, incredible optics, ergonomics, speed, reliabilty. The same goes for the Hexar.</p>

<p>So this noise discrimination cannot help you in any way, unless you are personally not ready to take your pics, noise or not, and are too self conscious to just photograph. Sorry, so get over it, please. Neither camera makes enough noise to hinder picture taking ... as good street shots taken with SLRs prove over and over. Because those are indeed noisy ...</p>

<p>Stuart's point is correct, but to answer your question directly, the Contax G2 is noisier than the Hexar. I've used both, and the noise level of the G2 can be disconcerting to the photographer, even if the subject cannot hear it. The constant re-focusing whine (it doesn't hold the focus setting, but re-focuses every time you release and then depress the shutter button, and the motor noise is not adequately suppressed) was enough of a distraction for me to sell the G2. After trying these other cameras, I returned to Leica M.</p>

<p>Having used both, the G2 is louder but offers interchangeable lenses etc. I still own & use the G2. You can use it in a manual mode which reduces the noise somewhat. To be fair, mine is significantly less noisy than many AF SLRs and DSLRs. Comparing the G2 noise to classics in this forum is not too constructive because of all the dissimilarities. Comparing the G2 to a Pentax ME plus auto-winder, for example, is silly! The G2 is much faster and quieter. The Hexar vs G2 comparison based purely on noise. . . if you want quiet, you should be looking at Leica M, or a classic fixed lens rangefinder or Minox/Rollei.</p>

<p>I have both G2's and a Konica Hexar AF with the silent mode. If having a camera that makes almost no noise is the most important thing to your photography, then you want the Hexar AF. If you want something that is not a single focal length lens then consider the G2 and all their excellent lenses. Both are excellent cameras with razor sharp lenses. I do use my G2's more , as I like the ability to change lenses,especially to the 21mm Biogon. </p>

<p>Thanks for your feedback. I already have two Hexars--black & silver. One has 'silent,' the other doesn't. I do mostly candid street photography, so noise is an issue--but not necessarily the most important one. I also use a Canon F-1N, so I'm no stranger to noise. Regarding suitability of this post for this forum, there aren't too many choices, and this seemed the best to my mind. 'Classic' is a flexible term, is it not? Thanks again. </p>

<p>Arond, You are correct that "classic" is an evermoving target and I love my Contax G kit, but you will find that the Leica/ Rangefinder fourm most helpful for cameras like yours. While we may discuss cameras with electronic control of exposure or shutter control, there is a pretty deep line in the sand with autofocus. However in another 20 years, who knows.</p>