Just got a D700 :)

travis_mccormack

<p>Well I want a book specifically about the d700. My level of Photograhy hmmmm. <br>

Well I have never owned a DSLR this is my first , but I have owned and shot with many film cameras. I have always shot nikon and was mainly shooting with the Nikon f4 and the f3 for the past 5 years or so. I also have a Mamiya C220 that I will always have and shoot with. <br>

So I would say my skill level is beginner and maybe crossing over into the intermediate level. I got the d700 because I loved my friends that I have used a few times and I wanted to keep the full frame since I already have a few good lens. <br>

I do understand the basics of a DSLR but I know there is so much that I can't wait to learn. So mainly I want a book that will explain the advantages and features of the D700</p>

Travis. I just got a d700 last august.The book I got is David Busch's nikon d700 guide to digital slr photography. For me It turned out to be a must have book. It explains everything About the camera In a way thats easy to understand. The manual Is much to hard to follow without spending your whole life reading it. I would highly recomend it if you want to learn the d700 quickly. Good luck.

<p>Since you really "researched the heck out of it" already, you probably would find Thom Hogan's book as something useful that you would 'grow into'. It is 759 pages of everything anyone would want to know about the D700. And as your experience grows, it will continue to serve as a good reference for features you may want to experiment with in the future.</p>

<p>WOW<br>

So many options, I have heard alot of good things about The Thom Hogan book.<br>

Are there many differences of the different materials covered in the books? <br>

I am sure any of them would be more than useful to me. I would like something that is<br>

easily understood.<br>

Thanks for all this help</p>

<p>Bavid Busch's book is for photographers, using easy language, nicely illustrated, and practical advices.<br>

I also have a number of other books, including Thom Hogan's that is more for techies. It is not for sequencial reading and learning due to boring textual and table data presentation, but great for reference after you already know the subject well.</p>

<p>Hi Travis,<br>

I've been using my D700 for the past couple of years now. It's really an amazing camera. As Alan Bessler suggested above, read the manual. Even if you're NOT a beginner. Once you read it, take a few min and read it again. Once you've done that, get the manual and camera out together and the manual while you play with every control and adjustment on the camera. Do that 4 or 5 times, and you'll have a pretty good understanding of the camera. You can expand from there.</p>

<p>Jeff</p>

<p>Hey Travis,<br />Congratzz with this fine piece of machinery, I hope you will realy enjoy it !<br />For the book I'm with Gary and Frank and some others, I like david Busch's books a lot because I find them very easy reading and David tell's his story in a good honest clear style, with plenty of examples.<br />I do not own the D700 book, because i do not own a D700, but I do own the D300 and D300s now, and find this one of the better books around....</p>

<p>I read Busch's D700 book and found it useful for getting started. (The manual is pretty comparable, just less readable.) Then I read Thom Hogan's D700 book. It is great - not just on the basics, but also on more complex things like how to set up settings lists for different types of tasks, how to decide which autofocus mode to use for what tasks, etc. He gives you examples of how he sets up different types of settings for different purposes, and explains why. Highly recommended.</p>

<p>+1 for the David Busch book. I have the D300 and Busch's D300 book. I came from 30 years of film (FE primarily, and much later a C330) and the D300 was my first DSLR. Busch was excellent help in making the transition from film to digital. I would assume the same with the D700. Enjoy your new camera. </p>

<p>If you get into flash photography using an SB900 I can recommend Joe McNally's "Hot Shoe Diaries." </p>

<p>If you have and are using a C220, and have an F4 with an F3 background, I would say that you dont need a D700 book, you need a Lightroom or Photoshop book. Because I doubt that there is much a D700 book can teach you that isnt already in the manual.</p>

<p>A DSLR has 4 variables - 1> Aperture, 2>Shutter speed and 3> ISO (which you should be familiar with) these dont change. 4> Jpeg processing.</p>

<p>Jpeg processing is kind of like shooting transparencies there is limited leeway once the picture has been taken and this is (designed to be) the final result. Negatives are kind of like RAW images - there are post processing opportunities to bring the most out of the image.</p>

<p>That is of course utterly incorrect from a technical point of view, but, I feel is a good way of explaining DSLR differences to film users. (Yes, the irony that the results from Transparency film are better than those from negative's is not wasted on me.)</p>

<p>I don't think anyone else has mentioned 'The Magic Lantern Guide to the D700' by Simon Stafford. ISBN 1600594980 . It is much more 'readable' than the manual that comes with the camera and I found I was more likely to pick it up for a moment or two and find out something interesting. I wouldn't see myself reading the manual cover to cover - something about the small print and small pages - but learned a lot from this book. Well worth the £10 extra investment.<br>

Also, good choice of camera - I have used mine a lot in the last couple of years and it was well worth the investment.<br>

Marc</p>