Do I want a Sinar shutter?

jim_gardner4

<p>I am using 11x14 inch film on my new to me Hunter Penrose. The results from the old Taylor Hobson lens are great but there is no shutter in it. I have looked at Packards but I think the mechanical ones fire at either 1/25th or B and I wanted a bit more choise than that. The Sinars on E-bay seem to have a much larger choice of speeds but they also have an aperture scale on them. Why is that? Also, are they all mechanical? (I dont really want an electronic one on my HP) and can they be mounted either in front or behind the lens? Many thanks.</p>

<p>The Sinar Copal behind lens shutter is all mechanical with speeds from 1/60 to 8 sec. Lenses are mounted into special DB lensboards so whem a flim holder is inserted the shutter is cocked and the lens stopped down.<br>

The aperture scale is to control the aperture of DB mounted lenses.<br>

The Sinar Copal shutter is meant to be used behind the lens in the Sinar system. The shutter fit on the front side of the front standard and the lens mounted in front of it. The bellow goes on the back side of the front standard.<br>

However I can't see why your idea will not work if mounted properly.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The shutter fit on the front side of the front standard and the lens mounted in front of it. The bellow goes on the back side of the front standard.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Actually the shutter attaches to the back side of the front standard and the bellows mounts to the shutter. However, the rest of the info is correct. I've adapted mine to fit in the front of my Phillips 8x10 and modified it so I can mount a lens board to the shutter. Most of the time I leave a lensboard with a universal lens mount attached. I removed the aperture scale since I use barrel lenses. It is a pretty heavy shutter so if you mount it to the front of a lens, you would probably need to support it. But in your case, I would think that attaching the shutter to a lensboard would make more sense.</p>

<p>There is also an electronic shutter, but it is much more expensive and has a digital readout-so you shouldn't have a problem recognizing the difference</p>

• 5 years later...

<p>Hi, I am new to the site but was curious, JIM can you tell me what speed film you are using on your hunter penrose? I have a deardorff 11x14 and a Marion 10x12 both of which had Packard shutters. I got sick of them jamming up and took both of them out.<br>

Now the deardorff shutter was recessed at the back of a recessed lens board. perfect for the job without having to take out your front standard and drilling holes. and you can remove it as easy as swapping lenses. The only drawback is you cannot use the focus adjust on your lens in fear of putting it through your shutter.<br>

I use xray film at about asa100 and just use a lens cap or depending on faster light readings a piece of flat tin, which I am able to flick a bit faster than the cap.<br>

portraits are fairly slow once you take the bellows factor into account</p>

<p>Andrew,<br>

You have just reminded me I must actually use the thing!<br>

The film I got was sold as 100ASA I think, but no markings on the box at all. I rate it very slow I.E. 12-25ASA but this could be due to 2-3 feet of bellows or reciprocity effect, and of course a very small aperture. Even with photo floods, a still life could be anything upto half hour, so for portraits its definitely flash.</p>