Efke ir 820 dirty

ken_dunn1

<p>I know this has been batted around on here before, but never really seemed to get a correct answer, so I thought I would revisit it. OK, Efke IR 820, 4x5, processed in Jobo reel/tank, rinsed with wetting agent, distilled water.....dirty. Redid and squeegeed, dirty and starting to scratch (I know this film is pretty easy to scratch so we can't keep rewashing it). Its like a film mostly, not specks but water marks. I have heard lots of people having problems but no solutions. It almost seems like the negs produce a scum or something of their own. The images are beautiful, but man I have never seen so much dirt. It looks like it was dropped in a muddy river and fished it out or something. I would really like to be able to use this film but I don't know what to do about the dirt. Also I did some other negs (Efke 25) at the same time and they looked much better. I think Tmax 100 spoiled me, that stuff is tough and always came out flawless (as far as surface imperfections). If we can't get it clean, how is the Rollei? I have heard its only some better, not perfect.</p>

<p>I had similar problems with IR820 - see my posting and sample scan <a href="00UInV">in this thread</a> .</p>

<p>It was argued at the time that the dirt was specific to the IR820 film, while the IR820 "Aura" film was supposed to be ok. I still have some "Aura" films in the freezer, but did not have time to test them and confirm this for myself.</p>

<p>I tested the Rollei, however, and can report that it is definitely clean (just as a T-Max user would expect it), although it is quite curly after drying compared to T-Max 100. It also shows less Wood effect than the IR820. But on the other hand, it is two stops faster (I metered at ISO 400 minus 7 stops with Rollei, vs. ISO 100 minus 7 stops with Efke, both with R72 filter).</p>