Need Backpack - Help

Tom Wiggins Photography

<p>Calumet Brand backpacks are really nice, I got the larger one recently and use it occasionally for different formats--35 thru 4x5 (I prefer shoulder bags most of the time, but use it for longer treks). It has an area for a large laptop as well, which can be used for other storage if you don't need one with you. It has a great system for carrying a tripod and a separate area for a monopod. Anyway, I don't carry a small tripod and it works very well. You would like it!</p>

<p>Tom,</p>

<p>I went to the REI a mile down the road from me, picked out a few knapsacks that looked like

they might do the trick, loaded everything in them, and went with the one I originally didn’t

think I’d like but, since I didn’t have anything else I needed to do that afternoon,

figured I’d add to the mix anyway.</p>

<p>I wrap the lenses and bodies in Domke wraps to keep them from scratching and denting each

other, but otherwise just toss everything in in the most space-efficient manner I can come up with. I

find it’s very easy to get to everything, and not too much work to put it away again —

proportional to the work of the shoot. If it’s just a one camera / lens deal, it just takes a

moment to pack it back up. If I’m using everything in the kit, of course it takes a bit longer to

pack it back up again…but, then again, that means it’s the kind of big-time-committment shoot that an extra three minutes wrapping and packing things is but a blip on the

radar.</p>

<p>And, since it’s a generic knapsack, it doesn’s scream, “Mug me! I have a

bag full of expensive camera equipment!”</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

I have been using a Lowepro for about 3 years and love it. It has a place for a laptop or whatever else you might need to put there like a toothbrush or socks or snacks etc. The main bag will hold two full size bodies, a long lens and a couple of short ones and a flash. Top pocket holds all manner of things. It's well padded and except for that top section is pretty water resistant. Lots of zippers and velcro too. Probably the best in a long line of camera bags for me and well priced, maybe $150.

Rick H.

<p>There trick to carrying a tripod strapped to a backpack is to carry it vertically, but as low as possible so that the head doesn't swing back and forth or snag on branches. Most backpacks have a pocket to hold the feet which attaches to an accessory loop on the backpack. This keeps the tripod high, and only a very short tripod (<18") is comfortable to carry.</p>

<p>The main exception is found in LowePro Computrekker backpacks. The tripod pocket folds out and extends about 4 inches below the bottom of the pack, and can carry a 23" to 27" tripod comfortably. Tripods of this length, such as a Gitzo G-1227 or GT-3541LS, are much more useful than miniature tripods. Computrekkers are reasonably comfortable to carry, and the laptop slot just adds a little padding if empty.</p>

<p>The downside is that you must remove the backpack to use the tripod, which means you will pass up a lot of opportunities due to the inconvenience. The alternative is to carry the tripod vertically on a shoulder strap attached to the top of the tripod. A simple camera strap with loops (e.g., an Op-Tech) works well in this application.</p>

<p>A dedicated camera backpack has pockets for everything and is much easier to use than a hiking backpack with everything wrapped up individually. In fact, I use backpacks to carry gear to and from gigs in town. They hold a lot yet are easy to carry (by one strap or two), and are a lot easier to carry up stairs than a roller. I'm not an overnight hiker, but get out in the woods a lot. A backpack makes it a lot easier to keep your balance when climbing or descending. I tried to use a shoulder bag once on snow shoes, and ended up making snow angels. They're a lot safer when climbing in castles and belfries too.</p>

• 3 months later...