CVS negative scan quality....

<p>I don't know if I should be scared :-0 It's o.k. with landscape type photos, but across a person's face is a little much though. I may try Walgreens, they've don'e pretty good. I can also go to a pro shop, but they charge more. This set was just a test shot for the Kodak film I just started using. Not bad.</p>

<p>Roger, I know what you mean with Walgreens. I usually have to do some despeckling, but they turn out fine afterward without losing noticeable sharpness. I just don't like the lines of blur and color specs on my scans. They "said" they do neg. scans, but I've never heard of them printing the photo then scanning it. Unless they are totally incompetent and is wasting company money by using print paper. I for sure didn't pay for/receive any prints.</p>

<p>That was the story I got from my local CVS lab tech, who I've affectionately nicknamed Cap'n Quaaludes. I had gone in with a test roll from an old camera and wanted to make sure that the pictures turned out ok before I had them scanned, and he vvveeerrryyy sslloowwwly explained to me that it was easier to do it in one pass because they scan the prints. I clarified that they didn't have the ability to scan the neg, and he confirmed. Maybe my CVS just really sucks, or maybe the tech is incompetent, but that's the story I was sold.</p>

<p>Max: That's not normal CVS behavior, that guy's just an idiot. CVS doesn't have optical printing from negs minilabs, they have digital minilabs - negs are scanned, output to lightjet photo printer and/or CD.</p>

<p>Sonja: That's not normal CVS behavior. The one near me gives me perfectly good, low res scans. We're talking 500 kb JPG's, but at least they're sharp with good color. Your CVS has a problem with their scanner.</p>

<p>Quality varies greatly from drugstore to drugstore. If you want to use this level of service provider you'll have to shop around until you find one that meets your standards. Not all stores train their employees to the same level of ability, or maintain their equipment to the same standards. If you want professional quality results you have to use a professional quality lab...</p>

<p>- Randy</p>

• 2 weeks later...