Fuji Neopan 1600 film - soon to be gone???

<p>Went to my favourite camera store here in Sapporo (northern Japan) to pick up a couple of 20 roll boxes of my favourite Neopan 1600 only to find none in stock. Upon enquiry I was advised that this film is no longer available by the box - only single rolls from now on (and got the same answer from 2 more subsequent stores). On top of that, the single roll price had jumped by nearly 25% in the last few weeks. According to the sales staff person, Fuji are looking to drop the 1600 in the near future and concentrate only on the 100 Acros and 400 Neopan films which if true, is a sad situation indeed as 1600 Neopan is a great film.<br>

Is there anyone one else out there with any other knowledge regarding this?<br>

I have emailed Fuji Japan late today but dont expect an answer for a few days....</p>

<p>Kodak and Fuji both make excellent films. As the film market continues to shrink it might be better of one of them stopped making it. That way the other could continue for a while longer. The alternative is that they might both stop making film. That would be very bad. If Agfaphoto had not stopped making film, Ilford might not be in business now. On the b&w side, both Kodak and Fuji could stop making film and we would still have Ilford. I don't think HP5+ is as good as Tri-X or Neopan 400 but we could survive with Delta 400 or just use 120 film. Both Kodak and Fuji discontinued their fastest b&w films in bulk rolls a while ago. I prefer TMZ to Neopan 1600 and Delta 3200. It would be a shame if we got to the point where there was no b&w film faster than 400. </p>

<p>Any film that is discontinued leaves a hole in someone's creative life. That said, Neopan 1600 always seemed like the odd man out to me. Most 400 speed films today can easily be pushed to ISO 1600, and Kodak and Ilford make excellent ISO 3200 films which can easily be pulled to 1600. Fuji's share of the monochrome market must be dinky compared to Kodak and Ilford. I would just hate to see ACROS 100 go because it's the best 100 speed film out there.<br>

Sad if true, but understandable. Prices may be increasing because the price of silver is going up on world markets.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Resuscitating this thread as it seems the rumors of Neopan 1600 being discontinued are now becoming a reality.<br>

Please, sign off this petition against this. The more we are, the higher the chances Mr Fuji could change his mind :)<br>

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.petitiononline.com/gothic74/petition.html">www.petitiononline.com/gothic74/petition.html</a><br>

It takes 30 seconds of your time, and for a good cause.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>This is for Stefano, One I did sign your petition, and for what you did was a very good gesture - Thank You, and when I sign it, that I even said a few words in Japanese, and also that alot of persons has also did in what you did. Also I do not think that their is a person name Mr. Fuji, its just a company name... But I have gone to the main HQ in Tokyo back in 2002, and also Have you contacted Fujifilm USA web site, and view your questionnaire to them??, I work in a camera, and when I hear these rumors that I too have to call in for the source. Every time that when I hear or see the Camera Rumors, or film rumors that we have to go to the source of the problem, namely Fuji. Look at Kodak, in 2005, and 2006 these group of 9 to 5 idiots killed at least 20 known products in film, and paper, and latest RA color paper in sheet sizes, so now there is only Fuji Color RA4 paper left. What Next.. Nikon merging with Canon if that happens then they did would take the name that ends with the last letters of "ON" So what I am saying, Confirm source, write to FujiFilm usa.com. and take to their customer service people, and they will answer. So Thank you Stefano. Keep Plugging in what do you believe in it...<br>

And as for the FILM shooting people, Keep writing in the forums, we need to explain to the Photo companies, Fuji, Ilford, and yes Kodak to continued to make film products, not digital can do a descent sunset...<br>

Alex Carrillo<br>

aka Alexmmx</p>