Watching PBS series on National Parks? - Photos

<p>I have been watching this series too Steve fantastic photos and accompanying stories, i have been to Yosemite and Yellowstone and this programme really does justice to truly beautiful parks, i wish TV was always as good as this in the US, hats off to PBS.</p>

<p>I didn't catch Thursday's show, but if it was anything like the earlier ones in the week, I have a feeling that spending so much time on the administrative / political history of the parks will turn off lots of viewers who probably were expecting more of a HD / Imax / travelogue focus.</p>

<p>His emphasis on the profound spiritual experience in such places was perfectly on the mark for me, but I'm already "in the choir". Unfortunately, I think his presentation and emphasis will sound too "preachy" and "tree-hugging", and won't bring many more folks into the fold.</p>

<p>T</p>

<p>Yes, it's been a very good documentary so far. A lot of emphasis has been placed on the herculean efforts required by a large number of people in order to form the parks, which is an important aspect that many people have little or no exposure to, but which is critical to their survival in the future. As an aside, another great photographer, Q.T. Luong, was on the other day (episode 4 I believe) - he's well known in the large format community. You can catch up on missed episodes online at pbs.org</p>

<p>- Randy</p>

<p>Ever since the transition to DTV, we lost out signal to PBS and it drives my wife and i nuts! That too we live about 25 miles from the broadcast station (UNC-TV) and can't get it! so aggravating! We might have to get this on netflix when it comes out.... sigh.</p>

<p>Yes, we don't have cable tv, we are one of "those" people who still use the rabbit ears...</p>

<p>I have been watching this series with amazement at the amount of work that went into the program. Having been to a number of the Parks, I know that the photos don't always come together the first trip with the light, clouds and the animals in the right place at the right time. I spend my summers less than 10 miles from GSMNP and visit it many times to get the right set of circumstances for the photo I'm after.<br>

The history of the formation of the Parks has also been very interesting and shows what a debt of gratitude we owe to the people who made great expenditures of time, political capital and MONEY to enable the U.S. to have the Parks that we have today. The series also points out the power of a photo over 1000 words.</p>

<p>I love the series too -- but have only watched the first 4hours (DVR on HDTV).</p>

<p>I too thought this was going to really be 'just' an HD travelogue of the National Parks, but it isn't. I've learned a lot -- esp. how John Muir really might be g*d! What a guy -- he and Teddy Roosevelt. IMPRESSIVE.</p>

<p>I've been to over 30 National Parks and Monuments, and many of the forests.</p>

<p>I'm sorry to disagree with the majority of opinions here. I have found the photography to be mediocre. Much of it is too dark. If I see one more "whole day of moving clouds compressed into 5 seconds" I think I'll scream. The broadcase on WETA which I recorded the first 3 nights, seems so soft it looks like DVD not HD. I've switched to the MPT station and that may be slightly better.<br /> The old photos look great. It's the contemporary cinematography that has truly disappointed me. I've seen much better, sharper, more moving video FREQUENTLY on Discovery HD Theater, Nat. Geo. channel, HDNet, etc. I really had high hopes for this.<br /> I was also feeling pounded by the religion angle in the first episode. Had that continued into the second, I was prepared to turn it off and give up.<br /> Ken Burns is looking like an old one-trick pony with his style/technique.<br>

Now, PlanetEarth, THAT was awesome.</p>

<p>I echo the many who have been very pleased with the shows. Anyone can video the parks and make a travel log. That would get old and redundant very quickly. IMHO, Ken Burns has picked great stories to make the show a truly artful presentation that holds your attention and inspires you to appreciate the legacy we have inherited from the special few who influenced the founding of the parks. </p>

<p>I am enjoying it quite a bit. I read , Night of the Grizzlies, which goes into the policies of the park service in Yellowstone and Glacier which may have contributed to the death of some campers. The information on how the parks were founded and cared for , is important in order to ensure that these most wonderful places and the animals that inhabit them are taken care of in all respects. </p>

<p>The fact that you may have watched a Ken Burns series before does mean you already know his 'style' much as you would Hitchcock or Tarantino, I agree. I too agree that a series closer to a 'Planet Earth' style would be awesome. However, what I really like is in fact the stories of the individuals and the background. For me, that is what makes Mr Burns a real national treasure. </p>

<p>I learned a lot. And I thought I knew the parks pretty well. I worked one college summer for the Park Service at Yellowstone. That started me off and I never lost interest. Now I have to get back to Kilauea and see more of the volcano while it is in its most active phase. Wonder of wonders. Burns did a great job in telling a story. He is a skilled storyteller. Peter Coyote was the perfect narrator.</p>

<p><strong>Peter Coyote was the perfect narrator.</strong></p>

<p>Gerry one of my favourite voices and human beings is David Attenborough who has been making the most wonderful wildlife programmes my entire life on the BBC, they were always cutting edge at the "time"<br>

It baffles me why the American T.V switched his voice for Sigourney Weaver's for Planet Earth, just doesn't make any sense at all and spoils the programme when i watch it in the U.S, is this accent so hard to understand in America?</p>

<p>

<p><strong><br /> </strong></p>