Saving damaged Large Format Negatives

<p>Hi<br>

I have come into possession of some important historical large format negatives. They were stored in an envelope over 50 years ago and are all stuck together. Some are stuck so bad that they are as one and as hard as a rock.<br>

Some of them I have managed to gently peel apart with no damage to the emulsion at all however they are wrinkly and bubbly, once again the emulsion is not damaged although some did have crazing on the emulsion. With the bubbly ones, is it possible to treat these so that they will go flat to be scanned? I was going to soak them in water but didnt think that would remove the bubbling. Other than that I was going to put one in a press and see if that would flatten one. Has anyone out there had any experience with this problem, I dont want to damage them any more than they are now. I have a few to experiment with that arent great content.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Take them to a conservator if they are important. Different film types need to be treated differently, and if they are as bad as they sound only a professional has much hope of salvaging some of them. If you attempt anything yourself you should scan them at the highest possible resolution so that you have something left in the event they are damaged or destroyed. As for the films that are fused, it sounds like they may be nitro-cellulose films. Read <a href="http://www.chicagoartistsresource.org/node/9268">this</a> and <a href="http://www.uic.edu/sph/glakes/harts1/HARTS_library/nitroflm.txt">this</a> regarding storage, handling, and conservation.<br>

- Randy</p>

<p>Hi Randall, thanks<br>

that does make for interesting reading. I am 100% sure that you are right, because some negatives stored in the same box are perfect and have a different colour base while others display properties similar to electrolysis on aluminium and have also turned a bluish colour. Just the smell of this stuff is a warning.I only got these about 24 hours ago so I will be dealing with them very quickly and had an idea that they may have been toxic. There also seems to be a strong fixer like smell as well.<br>

Anyway the negatives in question are not of this nature so I will be still keen to hear any suggestions re redemption.<br>

Peter</p>

<p>Water is the enemy of deteriorating emulsion, be it acetate with vinegar syndrome, or deaying nitrocellulose base.<br>

Before trying to improve any negative, do your best scan first. Then maybe try with a modern film cleaner. (I think current ones are dry cleaning fluid -- perc.)</p>

• 3 months later...