Where to buy Nikon stuff in SF-Bay area ?

pasi_h_gg

<p>Try Keeble and Shuchat is in Palo Alto, near Stanford University, not exactly San Francisco. They are well stocked but you need to (attempt to) negotiate prices a bit: <a href="http://www.kandsphoto.com/">http://www.kandsphoto.com/</a></p>

<P>

There are actually two stores, across the street from each other. Medium and large formats, used cameras and lighting equipment are in the second store, not the main one.

</P>

<p>keeble and shuchat is your best bet. they have plenty of inventory --- both new and used. but a little pricey so as shun suggested, bargain with them. they are about 30 mins south of san francisco.</p>

<p>san jose camera is cheaper but less inventory. sales reps are very knowledgeable but can be pains in the rear end. i still get my small items there. but they are 1 hour south of san francisco........................they don't have much inventory in the monterey area (2 hours south of san francisco), as well as calumet in san francisco.</p>

<p>Is anybody familiar with Fireside Camera on Chesnut Street in San Francisco? <a href="http://firesidecamera.webnode.com/">http://firesidecamera.webnode.com/</a></p>

<p>I bought my D700 from them, but I have never been to their store, which seems to be a small store based on images. They were the on-site dealer at a Nikon-sponsored seminar. They had a discount on the D700 that day and I bought it on the spot.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is anybody familiar with Fireside Camera on Chesnut Street in San Francisco?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Went there once when two friends who are also photogs were in town. We looked at the (then) new D300 and a few bags. When one of my friends bought a Rocket Blower the salesman remarked below his breath something along the lines "Oh look, someone finally bought something." Who knows, maybe he was having a bad day but I'm not a fan of places with snooty attitudes and have done most of my browsing, window shopping and purchasing from Calumet without so much as a whisper.</p>

<p>Looking Glass Photo in Berkeley has won customer service awards for years. They are very nice there, and they are serious photo geeks. If you know what you want in advance, you can contact them by email or phone and they can be sure to have it for you (www.lookingglassphoto.com). From SF, you can take our metro (BART) to the Ashby station and get a short cab ride from there. They will bargain with you too.</p>

<p>Keeble has a great inventory selection and a lot of used equipment at their store across the street. From SF, you can take the Caltrain to the Palo Alto California Street station and it's about 4 blocks to walk. They have competitive prices and usually have what you want in stock. Only drawback is the camera/lens sales guys are hit or miss - sometimes they are great and sometimes they are really not.</p>

<p>Have a great trip!</p>

<p>I've visited Fireside a couple of times over the last ten years and I must say I always found the people very friendly and knowledgeable. I've purchased Nikon glass there, as well as had a Nikon repaired (they shipped it for me). This is a fairly small store, so selection is somewhat limited. Keeble in Palo Alto is MUCH larger, but not exactly close.<br>

For best price and selection, if I was visiting the US from another country, I'd mail order from one of the very large and well regarded NY mail order houses, and have it FedEx to my hotel. My two cents.</p>

<p>B&H would typically refuse to send to a hotel address. And if the shipping address does not match your credit card's billing address, you'll have a lot problems.</p>

<p>Additionally, if your stay is short and in case you need to return the camera, it can really be a problem. I would suggest buy locally and pay the sales tax so that you can inspect the item immediately.</p>

<p>Well there seems to be consensus on quite a few places to visit ! Thanks to everyone for suggestions. I was also wondering whether to try hotel delivery but decided not to risk. The prices are available for comparison, and the possibility to check the stuff in my own hands takes priority.<br>

A bit of a sentimental journey as well, spent a full year there some 10 years ago, never got around to visit since. So an excuse for a bit of driving around in the bay area is really quite welcome :) Can´t wait to take the N-Judah to Ocean beach ...</p>

<p>Pasi, if you have friends in the SF Bay Area and know exactly what you want to order, you can mail order and have that sent to their address and then you pick that up. It is best if that friend knows something about cameras and can immediately check that out for you so that should a return is necessary, there is still time for that.</p>

<p>I have done exactly that for a European friend of mine, and of course I know how to check out a brand new Nikon lens. :-) I verified that it was 100% ok before he picked it up.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>I need to support the vote for Keeble and Shuchat - I made the mistake of "leaving home without it" - "it" specifically being the battery charger for my D300 (I thought I had 3 fully charged batteries, but 2 were dead).<br>

I showed up at 9AM today, and asked to buy a charger - but they had none. The sales person asked me to wait while he spoke to his manager, and 5-10 minutes later, he came out with a charger and cord in the poly bags from a factory packed kit.<br>

"They're from a demo camera," he explained. "We'll replace it when new chargers come in."<br>

I'm from Boston, not California. And he knew it. If they can give that kind of service to an itinerant, they sure can serve locals with superb service!</p>