How many M owners use flash?

jamie_robertson2

<p>After all my years in photography a thought has just come to me... do any of you M users ever use flash? I don't mean studio flash... I mean a flashgun or a portable flash unit of any sort. I've never owned a Leica but, to me, using a Leica M means making the most of available light. I can't say I've ever noticed a Leica shooter with a flashgun mounted on his M6.</p>

<p>Just wondering...</p>

<p>I have a Metz 45CT-1 that is used once in a while with my M2 or M4 for indoor shots of my cats. I've also used flash for some wedding photos as well as for some indoor people pictures. The Leica M cameras can be used for any type of photography and should not be restricted to so called "street photography".</p>

<p>I've had my M6 for 10 years (and a M4-P for much longer) I do own one of the leica SF20 flashes and I honestly can't remember the last time I used it...I tried it a few times when I bought it (2nd hand through ebay) but since then it's sat gathering dust.</p>

<p> I use flash with my Leicas whenever it suits my vision. Their ability to focus reliably in low light makes them particularly useful for flash use. Their pitiful synch speed, OTH, renders them nearly useless for fill except at close distances. I use a variety of flash units, from 283, Sunpak 383, and several smaller older flashes, almost always off-camera.</p>

<p> Jeff Jacobsen, Mark Cohen, William Klein, William Eggleston and many, many others. Yes, the Leica is a great available light instrument, but it also works well with flash, specially because you can see the moment of exposure.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I could see using flash indoors with a Leica, but the outdoor shooting opportunities with flash are limited because the flash sync is too slow. Even 100 speed film will have you at f/22 (maybe f/11 if it's really cloudy and late in the day), so you'll need a lot of power even for fill. And the only way to control DOF in bright daylight with flash is to add ND filters.</p>

<p>I guess there is a reason why these cameras have a hot shoe :) Ok, so my M4 does not ...... I was at a wedding as a guest with my M. It rained and the party was moved inside. It got dark pretty quickly. Maybe y'all got 50mm/0.95's, but I had a 50/2 and VC 21/4 and was really glad when the pro photographer there offered me his backup Vivitar....</p>

<p>I used to use it pretty frequently with my M4 primarily for indoor shots and occasionally for fill outdoors. Today I use flash more often on my DSLR for product or macro shots. Last year I got rid of my favorite old standby, the Metz 45 CL 4, but I still have a Vivitar 2800 which has never failed me either. I make no distinction about not using flash because natural light is "better". I use the "tools in my workshop" to get the job done.</p>

<p>Sure, why not? I have a couple of M6 TTL bodies I use with 35mm lenses and an SF-20 flash. I use them for birthday parties etc., where the pics are casual and everyone is just having fun. The pics turn out well enough, so I make up small albums of 4x6" snaps and give them to the birthday girl/boy. I just did this a couple of weeks ago. The party organizers had hired a pro with a digi slr and pro flash unit, but people still seemed to like my snaps just as those churned out by the pro.</p>

<p>I started out with #26 flashbulbs in a CEYOO unit back in the 60s, then a small Braun unit Leitz was marketing then. In the 70s I moved up to a Vivitar 283 and have used that model for 40+ years. I have an SF20 in my bag and have used it a little but it lacks the bounce ability of the 283. When I shoot Tri-X, I rarely use flash indoors, but if I'm loaded up with K64 or an ISO 100 film, the flash comes in handy indoors. Also like fill-in flash in daylight.</p>

<p>That's always seemed like putting a snow plow on a Porsche? In fact look at the placement of the PC socket on all of the older bodies. If poking you in the face isn't an attempt at discouraging flash use, I don't know what is? (Funny people those German engineers.)</p>

<p>In actuality I have done this many times for a variety of reasons, over many years at weddings. When shooting B&W avavilable light with an RF camera. I always carried a small hot shoe type flash if needed.</p>

<p> </p>