canon 430 ex ii vs Metz 58 AF-1

catalin_stanciulescu

<p>The tilt function on the flashhead is nearly useless because the "click" part can't hold any weight. put a modifer like the lightsphere which isnt overly heavy on it and it keeps flopping back forward. Just very weak and poorly done.<br>

This is from a review i've just read.Doesn't Metz lock it's position when tilting the head (45, 90 degrees)?i always bounce from the walls when i can so this might be a big problem turning Metz into a useless flash for me.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>"Doesn't Metz lock it's position when tilting the head (45, 90 degrees)?"<br />On the Metz there is slight resistance at 45 degrees a little more resistance at 60 and even greater resitance at 90 degrees, but I would not call it locking. I dont think the 430EX is any better. Hot-shoe flashes are usually manufactured to work with the least amount of modifiers. The 430EX is a great flash if you are on a budget, but it has limited capabilities in multi-light, or wireless set ups since it can only be used as a Slave(Receiver). The Metz 58 can be used both as a Master(transmitter) and Slave(receiver). Meaning that if you want to use th3 430EX off the camera in the future as most people do, you might need a long Sync cord, or if you want to use the flash wirelessly in a multi-light set-up, you might need to buy the ST-E2 transmitter which is another $250.</p>

<p>I don't have the 58, I have the 54, but I haven't experienced poor tilt position with either the Metz or Canon flashes EXCEPT on my 580EX, where I used the Lightsphere a lot. The head has become a bit loose, but not real bad. If you don't abuse it with heavy modifiers, you should be fine.</p>

<p>Take a look at this picture of the back of the 430EX<br>

<a href="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-430EX-Speedlite-Flash-Review.aspx">http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-430EX-Speedlite-Flash-Review.aspx</a><br>

Notice those little notches that say 45, 60 , 90. Those are designed to keep the head from tilting downward. The Metz have these little notches also. Constant use of modifiers will wear out these little notches after a while, because they are only made of plastic. In that case use some Gaffer tape, to hold the head up.</p>