Which M body to sell and which to keep?

john_wayne4

<p>I don't know how old you are but 35mm film and chemistry will be around for a couple more decades, I figure. I would keep a couple bodies, like my mint MP etc and consider selling a few. I would not invest heavily in digital because it is evolving rapidly . . . perhaps buy some stocks in pharmaceuticals, and health care providers! :-) or a few cases of your favorite adult beverage and age them! :-)</p>

<p>Alastair's question about the MP3: a modern metered iteration of the original MP with a Leica M3 style top-plate, the M2 external frame counter, and, in the kit commissioned by the Leica Historical Society of America, a Leicavit, and a reproduction of the barrel of the version 1/2 50mm Summilux but with the new Summilux ASPH innards and a vented hood instead of the original conical 12521G hood. I'd probably keep that lens, the chrome M4 and the M6 and the three-lug M5.</p>

<p>Keep the silver chrome M4 and the M6. Sell the rest and get a M9 and M8. You'll have the functionality of all Leica offerings.</p>

<p>The M4 is a superb camera, the last mechanical Leica with proper framelines. The M6 has metering, so is like a M4 with metering.</p>

<p>The MP3 and black M4 will command a collector's premium, so unless you want a collectible for fondling purposes, there's no point in keeping a camera that is more than a functioning camera. There always seems to be a market for the M5, as some die-hard people appreciate its features.</p>

<p>Get rid of the black chrome M4,black chrome Never ages well. Get rid of the Black M5. keep all the rest. Buy a new current version silver chrome MP,and a Silver chrome M9. Keep all of your lenses. Why? Silver chrome-and Titanium-Leicas just seem to look right. By the way,the Japanese have gone crazy over M5's.</p>

<p>I would sell slowly 1 per ~6 months. That way you can watch the market trend. Also you can see if you have sellers remorse. If I had that great collection I would sell the Leica M4 chrome, and Leica M5 chrome 2 lug. However, to advise you I would establish which you can't sell for sentimental reasons and then of the remainder sell what ever is hot with collectors and shooters. Selling one M4 and one M5 seems like a good place to start.</p>

<p>I'm in the market for a Leica and honestly speaking I don't know much about the different models, I own several cameras like most of us, from Canon 5D II - Deardorff 8x10. I am currently shooting B&W street photography with a Ricoh GR1v. Which Leica is best suited for street? Let's say under $1,000.00 including one lens. I like the look of all chrome for example the III pre war model.<br>

~vm~</p>

<p>Victor - if you're interested in Leica thread mount equipment from the 1940's, check this forum's Archive - the Leica Thread Mount category. That's a good place to start gathering info, then you can post new questions to fill in the gaps.</p>

<p>I would keep:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Leica M4 (black chrome, with hot shoe and motordrive modification)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It is the most interesting of all your. The rest are usual, except MP3 but it is a reproduction made for collectors and might be where to recoupe some good cash toward a digital. I would recommand a demonstration M8.2.</p>

• 2 weeks later...