Nikon WedNEsDAy PiC #38

jose_angel

<p><br /> I'm really enjoying this forum, so much that I'm going to make an effort to create a photo each week specifically for this forum; to try and get some more hands on time with my equipment.<br>

<br /> Here's my pick of 10 photos that I enjoyed this week, in no particular order. However, this is just based on my personal taste and not meant to diminish all the other great photos.<br>

<br /> Jens Frederiksen - I like the way the road leads to nothingness<br /> Geert Noij - Always enjoy seeing photos of people around the world in their native setting, the black/white works great as well<br /> Janne Kaakinen - I like the mood that the color combination creates<br /> Aaron Bonnici - Great job in showing the animal inside the warrior<br /> Dieter Schaefer - Wish I could go there when I'm stressed out at work<br /> Barry Frankel - Simple, but the color and shapes made me sit and stare at it for quite some time<br /> Lex (perpendicularity consultant) Jenkins - You've got me trying to reverse engineer your lighting<br /> Hamish Gray - A diamond in the rock. Great idea.<br /> Ton Mestrom - The subject, background and black/white work really well together<br /> Bernard Mills - I always enjoy back alley photos, each object in the scene tells a story</p>

<p>Thanks Everyone, for posting.</p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I want to say <strong>thank you</strong> to;<br>

<strong>Joseph Leotta, Chris Court & Ray Gosalia</strong> . Yes, Green herons can have very intense eyes & I do find that there are locations where they're easier to approach than at others. I had to search for some time to find them & to get close to them. Many of my locations are so large that these little birds are hard to locate especially as they easily can disappear in their surrounding. And Ray, I do strive for a clean background. Here it's actually a tad busy for my liking, but unfortunately that's what I got so I'll deal with it. Especially since I seem to have a rather hard time locating Greenies & most of the time they're far away so shots are just not happening with such a small bird.<br>

Thanks<br>

Lil :-)</p>

<p>So sorry that i can't get into more detail, crazy day still going on here, but many thanks from everyone who commented on my photo. Any comment from the caliber of talent in this forum is greatly appreciated. Thank You so much and happy shooting to all, see you on Wednesday. Have a great weekend- John D.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"You've got me trying to reverse engineer your lighting"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nothing complicated. The white sink was in front of a small window providing a small amount of very diffuse daylight. Available light was probably only EV 6, at ISO 400 around 1/30th @ f/2.8. With available light, or mostly available light, there were odd blotches of color in the sink from warm sunlight, patches of blue filtered through the curtains. In a compressed JPEG it looked odd, more like a mistake than a choice.</p>

<p>I wanted f/5.6 or f/8 for more DOF. I mounted the SB-800 normally on the D2H but reversed the head completely, aiming it upward toward the ceiling. Using TTL mode I tried full auto flash, exposure compensation of -1 EV and +1 EV. The latter, +1 EV, was just about right. Pretty much the same feel as the original but without the blotchy color.</p>

<p>Long week is finally over. Now that I have a little time to look all these wonderful shots, I want to mention a few that really stand out to my untrained eyes. Of course, many others are great, too, and let us keep it up.<br>

Before that, thank you for commenting on mine: MS. Keil, Jeannean, Lil, Joseph Leotta, Richard Karash (if I miss someone, please forgive me!). It was really a lucky shot, when I entered the park and changed to 70-300. Checked up the tree and there were a few of them and I just took a few shots. A little sharpened and such by NX2, but 70-300 is really a nice glass. </p>

<p>Now, here we go:<br>

Jose: sad, but quite sharp and well taken.<br>

Chris Court: Eww, but really great photo!<br>

Lil: I wonder what a monster that glass is. But really nice.<br>

Pedro: again, nice food and of course nice photo. Great DOF.<br>

Dieter: I love this type of landscape. Really let me forget tiny bad things.<br>

Ton: As usual, nice catch of the street character.<br>

Ian: What a cloud and sky!<br>

Gary McGhee: Red is great, too.<br>

Hamish: Love the sun coming through the stone tower.<br>

Rene: Ah! Nebuta? Are you in Tohoku area, I take? Nice color and silhouette.<br>

Jens: Love this foggy morning sight.<br>

Matthew Brennan: sharp bird and color!<br>

Joe Elrod: Nice rose without blowing the white. Great.<br>

Tim Holte: Apple seems to be pondering whether to fall or not...<br>

William Pahnelas: nice catch of the flying bird.<br>

Paul Gorky: quite impressive bug+flower in the rain?<br>

Louis Meluso: Want to frame and put it on the wall of my room...<br>

Cees: very well done!<br>

Dallas McVicker: Interesting and good contrast of sky+cloud and orange light pier.<br>

Geert: nice B&W - sky is great.<br>

Paula Wang: nice catch and good timing. Beautiful.<br>

Phil Evans: looks like a resort post card!<br>

Zoltan: Interesting and well taken.<br>

Dave Lee: Beautiful lake, and mountain side.<br>

Bernard Mills: Very well taken street alley.<br>

Jeffery Aiello: Comical, good catch of the gull. Is he running away from you?<br>

Tony Hadley: Looks like a nice painting. Very nicely done.<br>

Filip Lucin: I like ultra-wide photos and color is nice, too.<br>

Shane Srogi: interestingly stitched? Nice catch of the rainbow.<br>

Lex: looks so delicious already!<br>

Mikhail: outside scenery through the window is so nice.<br>

Barry Fisher: Very interesting shot through the glass and reflection of the glass.<br>

Kris Bochenek: Nice sunset and Statue of Liberty.<br>

Terry Roberts: Nice color of the night photo.<br>

Steve Vanderford: Nice catch of the building and fountain. Nice perspective.<br>

Tom Theodore: Super sports photo.</p>

<p>Well, much more than "a few"..... See you next Wednesday.</p>

<p>thanks to Benjamin, Eric, Wouter, Cees, Jeannean, Lil, Joseph, Chris, Richard, Raaj and Ken for taking the time to comment on my photo and to all others as well. I enjoyed many of this weeks contributions.</p>

<p>Rather than finding interesting characters they seem to find me ;-)))</p>

<p>And to Mark M., I myself would prefer to say that large format photographers carry more weight ;-)</p>

<p>Thanks Jeannean, Lil, Joseph for taking the time and commenting!</p>

<p>Since my last comment, I very much like Tony (magnificent capture of the mood), Tiffany (splendid portraits), Barry, Filip, Shane (very cool), Aaron, Jose Ramirez (who's the alpha dog?), Barry F, Kris (a classic!).</p>

<p>Shekar, please tell me you used a telephoto :)</p>

<p>Terry: welcome.</p>

<p>Thank you <strong>Ken</strong> , the Sigmonster is not called the Sigmonster for no reason. At about 14lbs it is a huge lens. But I do believe that's about the weight of some of the Nikkor 600mm f/4 lenses. They're shorter on the average, but have a larger front element. It is however a very large lens, of that there's no discussion.<br>

<strong>Mark L. Cooper </strong> - that's a nice sunset/landscape/cattle shot. I love how we can just make out the cattle, yet see the landscape & the lovely sunset all in one. Looks like your cattle have a nice pasture there. Boy would I love that for my horses.<br>

<strong>Darko</strong> - you do know that dogs do most of their growing in height up to 6 months - then most of them just add bulk etc. She will still grow some in height. Next to a Yorkie she's a horse. :-) Beautiful dog.<br>

<strong>To everyone </strong> - it's a pleasure to comment on everyone's shot. We all have our "specialty/passion" & there's always something special about the shots.<br>

Have a nice weekend.<br>

<p>Lil (beautiful bird shot!), Ken (yours too!), Raaj, Richard K, Kent, Joseph, Jeannean, Paul V, Filip, Wouter, Tiffany (I love your portraits by the way!), Eric Blair, Alex, and MS Keil, thank you all for the nice comments on my photo. You all have beautiful work!<br>

@Kent. The only difference between an arctic exhibition and the real thing is the number of mosquitoes :-) I was wearing full protection for my photo, face netting and all, at 3am! There were thousands of them!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks to those who commented on my photo. To be honest, it wasn't my first pick, but I promised a week without a bug. Just got in from three hours of shooting some bees, dragonflies, damselflies, hover flies, regular flies, robber flies, grasshoppers, my "warrior bug", etc. in 100+ heat with humidity bordering on 100% (thank God it finally started raining!). I'm drenched with sweat and dirty, plus I got honked and yelled at numerous times, stopped by a man on a three-wheeler wanting to know what I was taking pictures of, and saw a new "No Trespassing" sign that I'm guessing was put up to keep me out (I always thought it was city property, but I guess not), so.... expect to see a bug pic from me this coming Wednesday. ;-)</p>

<p>Lil - Thanks for your kind words. I'm impressed with your ability to positively comment on everyone's Wednesday Pic. Our cattle are fat and happy while they are here at our farm. I keep thinking I'd like to get a couple horses to use to get around the farm.</p>

<p>Ty - I too get great joy in seeing pictures from all around the world. I would like to see everyone state their country of residence along with the equipment and settings used to make the picture.</p>

<p><strong>Thank you ALL</strong> for your comments. Let me add that this was another outstanding thread! <strong>Great job EVERYONE!</strong><br>

<strong><br /></strong><br>

<strong>LIL...</strong> Hideyuki is busy in school and even though he got his camera all the time, if I don't take him out shooting he doesn't use it. And I am a way too much. Just now when I saw I was gonna have some time off I have to fly back to Prague for another 2 weeks. About the shot, the figure is made of wood and cover with paper. It's call MANDOH (万灯 means something like TEN THOUSAND LIGHTS).</p>

<p><strong>KEN YAMAMOTO...</strong> Thank you for your comment. I live in Niigata, Ojiya City. This is traditional of the Summer festival here in our city.</p>

<p><strong>Well, thank you all for sharing and what about if do it again next WeDNeSDaY?</strong></p>

<p>Hey everyone, nice pics as always!!!</p>

<p><strong>Jeannean</strong>, your macro shots are just amazing! Each week I look forward to seeing what you're going to post.</p>

<p><strong>Jeannean & Lil</strong>, the pic of the monkey was taken in the garden of my friends house on the coast (Durban, South Africa). We have tons of these critters running around which love to steal fruit if you leave your windows open, and they usually terrorise the dogs as well.</p>

<p><strong>Joseph</strong>, they are quite difficult to "shoot" because they literally think you are going to try and shoot them when you point your camera at them. They are considered pests by quite a few people so you can't blame them for being a bit jumpy!</p>

<p><strong>Hamish </strong> - thank you for your kind comment on my shot.<br>

<strong>Jeannean</strong> - you present whatever you want, just remember that it's good to try different things so that we grow. :-)<br>

<strong>Kris Bochenek</strong> - very cleaver - I will have to try that as I'm very unhappy with my sunset shots so far. Maybe that's what's been going wrong - WB.....<br>

<strong>Mark L. Cooper</strong> - like I try to say, there's always something positive/I like in a shot, I just try to find it & comment on that. Horses are a great way of getting around with if you have land. They can get through a lot of stuff where other vehicles are going to be a problem.<br>

<strong>Rene'</strong> - I know what you mean, school is demanding on children. Maybe he's concerned he's going to lose it & it might get stolen. He would feel horrible about it I'm sure. Have a safe trip & thank you for the information. That looks so intriguing I'd love to see one in real life.<br>

<strong>Steven van Heerden </strong> - I'm sure that to you they're just common place & a nuisance, but to me that's rather amazing & wonderful.<br>

<p>Per-Christian - knowing where the image was made is also good. I'd like to know the nationality of the photographer. It seems just as interesting as what lens was used to make the picture. I'm hesitant to use the word nationality as there are probably many transplants on photo.net.</p>

<p>To all who comment so diligently above thankyou... and especially thankyou this week as my image of the little alley in Shanghai seems to have been well received. I am so grateful for the kind words that many of you make, not only on my images but on those of the whole community here.</p>

<p>In turn here are my handful of stand-outs this week and as always I feel guilty at not mentioning everyone for the work that they give here in this thread. However... Jose, Chris, Alejandro, Ton, Marc, Luis, Jens, Richard, Tim, Cees, Christian, Ofey, Aguinaldo, Juho and Barry... and my favourite of all is the beautiful and gentle image by David Love.</p>

<p>Warmest regards to all from Sydney.</p>

<p>Jose, too bad to hear about the fires<br />Chris, great macro, as usual<br />Mike, love the earmuffs<br />Ton, great portrait, as usual<br />Gary, What a sky and water, I love it<br />Wayne, the colors are nice indeed even without polariser<br />Paul, nice waterdrops<br />Christian, nice streetview<br />Zoltan, maybe would have been nice if you flipped the picture and see if people would notice<br />Aaron, nice B/W, <br />Paul, nice layers of mountains<br />Terry, great colors<br />Steve, nice picture, gotta have that tokina, just too bad you just missed the top of the building and I would get rid of the black spots top left<br />Tom, WHO STOPPED GRAVITY, that's gotta hurt, great 3D picture<br />to MS Keil, this was in a place close to kall, that is a bit south/west of Koln<br />Thanks to jeannean, Joseph, Lil for commenting on my and so many other pictures.</p>