Monopod for slow shutter nature photography?

photojen

<p>Looking into buying an new tripod or a monopod. I am a nature photog who hikes and shoots waterfalls. I find the tripod to be cumbersome, but I manage. I was thinking about and looking into monopod with retractable legs~ something like the Manfrotto 682B. Would this sort of thing (mono with legs) be stable enough for my slow shutter water work? Or should I take the safe bet, and get a new tripod? The reviews I read on this specific monopod, are good, but nothing about slow shutter photography. Any suggestion/advice is appreciated.</p>

<p>Get a good, light weight carbon fiber tripod for hiking. If you use slow shutter speeds for waterfalls, etc., a good tripod is a must.</p>

<p>Monopods are mainly for news and sports photographers who use long lenses. They support the weight of the big lenses but will not give you the solid support for slow shutter speeds.</p>

<p>A monopod, even one with legs, does very little to eliminate camera shake. While a monopod reduces pitch motion, yaw remains unchanged. Sway is impossible to control, and at very slow speeds contributes significantly to camera motion. The leg circle is so small compared to the height that you don't dare take your hands off the camera, and they're completely useless on soft or uneven ground. (I bought one like you describe, before I knew any better. If you need a walking stick, get a walking stick or use a ski pole.)</p>

<p>If you want sharp pictures at any speed, carry a tripod, and don't skimp on the specs. Carbon fiber is the best - stiff and light - but you pay a premium for it. IMO, it's worth it, and a good tripod will last a lifetime. You can often find a used CF tripod (e.g., Gitzo) on EBay for about half the new price. You can't wear a Gitzo out and repair parts (e.g., bushings) are readily available.</p>

<p>Your gauzy waterfall pics will need about 1/8 to 1/2 sec or longer to take and make gauzy images. Handheld monopods are useful to about 2/f or 3/f (if lucky) seconds, up from 1/f seconds for naked handheld camera shots. So:</p>

<p>Go figure that you will need a tripod, unless you are working with 15mm lenses or shorter only.</p>

<p>I'd have to agree with most comments, except one, CF tripods being the only way. I have a Bogen 055xb for most of my tripod work, but for backpacking I actually use my piece of crap Targus tripod. It only extends to about 40 inches without extending the center column and doesn't support a lot of weight, however, it weighs less then 1lb. I would never use it to support any real weight, but if you have a fairly light weight camera and lens setup it'll do a fine job so long as it isn't windy and you make sure to use MLU and a cable release.<br>

I have an OM-1 and take a 24/2.8 and 50/1.4 backpacking (last time also an 85/2, but this time I am taking a 135/3.5). I've done both pictures up around 7-8 minutes for star trails, 30-45s for full moonlit shots and also some waterfall pictures around 1/8-1/2s with focal lengths from 24 to 85mm on it. You'd likely get something a bit sharper with a good study tripod, but it works just fine in 8x12 prints...though much squatting is required to frame and shoot since I can't extend the center column and get any kind of a steady shot.<br>

Just an idea if you can't shell out $300+ for a light weight CF backpacking tripod (total cost to me was $15).</p>

<p>A Gitzo G-1227 CF tripod can be had for abut $200 used (about 1/2 the new price and 1/3rd the price of a new GT-2530). It is an excellent tripod for up to 200mm (maybe 300mm on a calm day). The G-1227 is a foot taller and half the weight of the Manfrotto equivalent. The long column can be replaced with a short one for work close to the ground ($35). For lenses longer than 300mm, medium or large format cameras, I'd recommend a series #3 or larger.</p>

<p>You still need to shop for an head.</p>

<p>Good luck on this one. Spending a lot of money does not ensure that you will get better results. I am not a fan of carbon fiber or Gitzo. I have a 1228. One of the leg collars is seized up and one of the legs comes off. I would recommend a Berlebach for waterfalls. The longer the exposure the less it will show camera-caused vibrations. State of the art tripods are mostly needed from 1/15 to 1 second. Not an easy question to answer. Maybe you could buy used for a special application. There is no substitute for mass in my opinion.</p>

<p>I agree that you will need a tripod, look at a carbon Benro. Its a relatively new product but very well built and very light and folds shorter that most and about half the price of its competitors. I know I sound like a salesman and in a way wish I were as I think this brand may do very well.</p>

<p>I use a walking staff at times as a monopod. As others have pointed out, it's not suitable for the kinds of exposure times one typically wants for silky water picks. If at all possible for long exposures, I clamp or bungee it to some kind of rigid support with as little extension from the clamped point as possible. And that "technique" also depends on a serendipitous placement of a sturdy tree or branch, fence or post of some sort.</p>

<p>My "light" tripod is a Bogen/Manfrotto 725b, since replaced in the product line by the 7302YB. These run about $120. The head is essentially an integrated Bogen 484rc2. Advantage: price, good height w/o using center post, reasonably light weight, disadvantage: won't allow for a wide leg spread to get close to the ground. It and some like it from various other makers won't really compete with the CF types for rigidity and weight but do quite well if a reasonable camera/lens combination are used. I get some sag but if dealing with something like a waterfall,, it's easily compensated for. However, it is limited and while it does OK with dslrs and a moderately sized wide or mid range zoom, going to a D200 and a 75-300 does stress it's limits. (Bogen doesn't even consider a dslr/slr tripod so that's not unreasonable to have problems with that type of load.)</p>

<p>If you have already bought into the Arca Swiss system, then one would need to replace the clamp. About $80 or so and up. If not, then a camera plate would be needed as well. </p>

<p>Also if you already have AS type gear, a similar sized and probably sturdier head is the RRS BH-25 head but those run in the $150 and up range with a clamp. The Markins Q3 has a higher capacity and better feature set but now that's $260 + for just a head and no plates.</p>

<p>Obviously a high end tripod and head last for ever but so could paying for it. Lighter/smaller cheaper discount store tripods may well fit the bill for a period of time. Depends on the person, the uses and perhaps even shear luck. They don't necessarily take much abuse.</p>

<p>Wow, thanks all for the input. Being 'newer' to photography can be sort of humbling for me and I don't know a great deal about certain things...it's nice to have a place to ask even a routine and simple question (for some) and get decent responses and honest time from other photogs. Thank you.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bythom.com/support.htm">http://www.bythom.com/support.htm</a></p>

<p>He makes a lot of good points. I don't agree that you have to spend $1000 on a good tripod.</p>

<p>You can get a decent Benro set of legs for about $300.</p>

<p>I'd highly recommend buying a good ball head with arca swiss plates. Skip the low end solution. In the long run, it is more costly. I have no personal experience with Benro heads, but I would avoid them. I've yet to hear good things about them. Their legs are great. I have a set, with an Acratech ballhead. I spent about $650. This time. My first tripod was a Velbon for about $50 or so. North Korea is more stable. :) Next up, was a Bogen. Couple hundred bucks for legs and head.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>I tried using a monopod for moderate long exposures (1/4 sec.) and faster, but never had much luck. I'm also in the tripod camp. I've come to think my tripod is more important than my camera for a lot of shots. Don't go cheap on the head either. Get a good quick release, such as Arca Swiss style. Lack of QR will quickly begin to drive you nuts.<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p>Some completely different solution : i have often very good results with something like this : <a href="http://www.fotorubens.be/5683/fotorubens/product/6401/THE_Silver_Pod">http://www.fotorubens.be/5683/fotorubens/product/6401/THE_Silver_Pod</a> , its not exactly the same to mine ( I made my own from a canvas bag , a cemara triod munting screw, styroform chunks ) but this is pretty much like it ( a modern lightweight beenbag of sorts...).<br>

If you can find the right spot near your subject , nothing beats this, because it dampens <em>any</em> vibration which even the best tripod passes trough to your camera..</p>

<p>Jennifer,<br>

When working with your budget, don't forget about the head, most will recommend a ball head which may or may not come with a quick release and plates. The ballhead and plates can cost as much or more as the tripod for a decent one. It all depends on what kind of gear you have and how much weight you need to support.</p>

<p>If you're buying Gitzo in the US, then it's guaranteed for life. A Gitzo GT1541T and Really Right Stuff BH-25 LR weight 2.62 pounds. I know of nothing that is as stable, quick to deploy or capable of lasting for a lifetime. The RRS quick release works perfectly.</p>

<p>A digital camera body lasts for a few years, lenses can last for many years, a tripod should last you a lifetime. I think it's the best place to put your money.</p>

<p>I have a Gitzo from the early 1970's that had the rubber dry out. Took it to my Local Gitzo dealer (Keeble and Shuchat in Palo Alto, CA) and they asked me if I wanted the parts or should they would fix it for me - for free. It was an expensive tripod when I bought it and it still performs like new. I only use it at home now because of the weight and now use a GT2541ex w/Arca Swiss Z1 and RRS QR. Expensive but worth it everytime I need a tripod. Anything other than carbon fiber is not going to stay in your kit very long, just too heavy unless you only work from your car.</p>