Just used my new M9

Philip Freedman

<p>Just used my new M9 on this sunny London day, with my Summilux 50 1.4 Asph and my old 1970 Summicron 50 (v 11817), both RAW processed in Lightroom with just a little fill in of shadows and the usual necessary sharpening. Out of the camera in raw the shots are unsharp but they respond to sharpening in L2 fantastically. In both cases great colours and amazing detail at 100%- better than my D700 and Zeiss 50 Planar. Strangely, using the new 50 1.4 aspherical lens results in some chromatic aberration in the form of a little purple fringing around some back-lit subjects, but the old 50 f2 lens is absolutely fine and seems just as sharp! (And, for those who fondle their cameras, it feels like a Leica!).<br>

Philip</p>

<p>Very exciting Philip, any samples? Would love to hear about some higher ISO ratings. Seems that most people are shooting their Leica digitals at 160 an awful lot of the time. I'm kind of an ISO 400 guy. I'm hoping to use an M9 alongside my D700 as well. Would love to hear and see more thoughts and comparisons.<br>

Congrats, D</p>

<p>Ted: I traded in my M8 (pre 8.2) since it had too many problems, and only used the 50 1.4 asph on slides and prints which did not shown any noticeable CA.<br>

Alex: this was thanks to Len at RG Lewis in London, where William Cheung was demonstrating the M9 and Len had two deliveries from Leica UK.<br>

Philip </p>

<p>Hey guys, how can a low res monitor show the qualities or not of Philip's picture? </p>

<p>You've gotta be drooling at the mouth for an M9, to think that. I am not questioning that the original is great, even in jpeg rather than RAW, but let's wait for some rigorous tests to tell us how much better it is than the m8.</p>

<p>That attached JPEG looked good, but there was a bit of purple fringing along the right-most chimney. Other than that it looks really nice. And there's no hint of light fall-off. I wonder how the super-wide lenses will go?</p>

<p>BTW is that the same William Cheung who used to edit <em>Practical Photography</em> ?</p>

<p>Thanks for the JPEG Philip, looks great. Nice neighborhood!</p>

<p>I get fringing on my D700 and find that LR2 does a pretty weak job in fixing it. Does this M9 fringing respond any better?</p>

<p>Well, what do you think Ray? Is there an M9 in your future?</p>

<p>Seven thousand dollars... boy that's a big number for a camera, a rangefinder camera. Keep thinking about it all day long... even while fishing this morning, sheesh, got the money, not sure I could pull the trigger. Plus I'd need a new 50. My old DR apparently won't work. At least it sounds like my old 21 3.4 will. That's good news.</p>

<p>Philip, perhaps it seems that what users have to do is figure out which lenses work best and stay with those for most or all applications. Even if this means losing a stop. For low light photography the fringing caused by a fast lens won't matter as much.</p>

<p>I must say that I think a new film process needs to be developed. I think it can. I think something with the grain of Spur Orthopan at 400 ISO is possible. But who will do it?</p>

<p>Mikal, you are right ... since the M8 and M9 have the same pixel pitch this would not be a surprising reaction to an uploaded internet image.</p>

<p>The difference comes in that the M9 is FF verses 1.33X crop .... so the file size is larger allowing either larger prints at the same IQ, or the ability to crop with less loss of IQ. This is not an inconsequential difference for some photographers. However, for others it most certainly wouldn't be worth the price difference.</p>

<p>Plus, for wide angle users, the M9 provides truer wide ability lens to lens.</p>

<p>(all the best to you and your family old friend : -) </p>