How To Get A Business Name?

alaine_mangabay

<p>Okay, so I want to get a business name and start getting things going, but I have no idea what to do or where to go. What are the steps exactly on getting a name for a business? I do not want to use my first and last name for the business. Is it hard or take long to get a name? Oh, and what are the laws or rules on getting a name, for example someone already having the name? Do I have to find a name that no one else has, or just that no one in my area has it? Sorry for so many questions at once, but I only have one more. I can still start doing all this while still in school right? I am about to get my AA in photography and a certificate in weddings and portraiture, then plan on getting my bachelors. I have been doing little side jobs, mostly for family and friends, but they are starting to spread the word around that I am a photographer so I wanted to get things going. I live in California by the way, not sure if that matters but just in case. Thank You!</p>

<p>Since you're a taxpaying resident in California, you might as well get your money's worth and talk to your state's <strong><a href="http://www.sba.gov/localresources/district/ca/">small business administration</a></strong>. This is entire their reason for being - to answer questions just like these, for people that live in your state. Every state is different, so that's the place to start.</p>

<p>In Calif, you can find State Tax info (you have to charge sales tax if you deliver product in Calif) at http://www.boe.ca.gov/</p>

<p>Be sure to download and read their publication 68, which relates directly to photographers http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub68.pdf</p>

<p>Many (most) cities have local tax requirements and most banks will require a business license or resale permit before you can open a checking account in a business name. Which is sort of a requirement if you're doing business under a business name not your own.</p>

<p>The California Sect'y of State's office registers business names, but they do not handle national registration. You may find yourself in conflict with a business in another state if you don't register your name nationally, and later you want to do business out of state. It's very hard, and expensive, to change your business name after having been in business for a period of time.</p>

<p>As Matt says, your small business administration is a good resource, especially for things like business plans. You do have a business plan don't you? If not, spend some time researching and writing one. It will help in the long run. It becomes your road map to growing your business.</p>

<p>Good luck,</p>

<p><Chas><br /></p>

<p>First things first.</p>

<p>The SBA is great for many things; legal advice NOT being one of them.</p>

<p>You will need first to decide what "structure" you wish to operate a business under.</p>

<p>There are several choices; so I highly suggest you research them.</p>

<p>1) Sole Propriertorship<br>

2) LLC....Probably best for most<br>

3) Incorporated<br>

4) Partnership<br>

5) S-Corp<br>

6) dba's</p>

<p>In all except the first one, you can research business names in your state to determine if the name is in registered use legally.</p>

<p>Welcome to the business side of of photography.</p>

<p>Alaine,<br>

If you do business in California under a name that is not your own, that name is called a 'fictitious business name''. (It is also what is referred to as a "dba', referring to the fictitious name you are 'doing business as" -- and in most cases, if you have a dba, it is because you are in business as a sole proprietor). By law, you are required to register a fictitious business name in the county or counties in which you do business. <br>

To see if that name is available, you can start by checking the registry of such names at your county clerk's office to see if anyone has already reserved the right to that name. However, there are a number of other sources you may want to check regarding the availabilty of the name, as the county clerk's listing only lists names reserved in that county, not elsewhere in California or around the country.<br>

That said, however, there are many, many things to consider when starting a business, as the other posters have suggested, including many things to consider regarding the business name itself. For instance, if you want to form a business entity, such as an LLC or corporation, then you ordinarily do not have to file a fictitious business name with the county, but you do have to do a variety of filings with the State.<br>

What you need to get started is to educate yourself on what it takes to start a small business. There are many good resources at your local library -- just ask the reference librarian for help. One of my favorite publishers is nolo press, but there are many others.<br>

Good luck.</p>

<p> </p>