efke 25 film base

jhnyguitar

i just shot and processed some efke 25. i shot the film outdoors at

iso 25 and processed in ilfosol (all i had) 1:9 for six minutes. the

results were less than ideal. i liked the resolution of this film.

however, i over exposed it. the next time i use it i'll shoot it at

iso 50 and use plain d76 1:1, photoimpex's recommendation.

i have a question regarding this film's base for others who have used

efke 25: is it normal for the base to be very pink? i got a very pink

film base that concerns me given the effect this color could have on

vc papers. is this usual for this film or should i suspect a problem

with my fixer?

i tried refixing a small piece of the film in freshly mixed fixer. by

the way, i'm using ilford rapid fixer 1:4. anyway, there was no

change to the color of the base. i tested my fixer to see if it was

still good and it's fine. don't know what to think. i guess i could

try a different fixe

okay, here's the response, in my words, from mirko at photoimpex: efke 25 comes on a clear base. thus the antihalo coating must be stronger. (the film does have an amazing amount of dye on it which i noticed during prewetting.) the film does have a slight pink cast, which mirko says is no problem. bleaching during reversal prossessing is the only way to get rid of this pink cast. interesting. i really like the film, by the way.

• 9 years later...
<p>I love Efke. I shoot efke 25, process and develop my stuff and yes I did get some pinkish film. But I also got perfectly clear negatives. I always use the same D76 - Kodafix combination. I suspect it's the temperature of the developer. I also shoot the Infra Red Efke. I got negatives which had a very strong yellow dye. I've tried using the Hypo Clearing Agent but yellow film remained yellow as pink film did. Again, I believe is the temperature of the developer and the agitation time.</p>

<p>Since this thread was begun 10 years ago it's possible - likely - that some Efke films have changed over the years. Film base, emulsion, sensitizing and anti-halation dyes, etc.</p>

<p>Anyway, the only Efke film I used much of was R100 in 120. Excellent film during the early to mid 2000s, but I haven't used it since. No problems with any residual tint in the negatives - it dried with that steely gray neutral finish we used to see in Tri-X and other films before more sophisticated sensitizing and anti-halation dyes were used. A pre-wash poured out bright aquamarine effluent. I used only Tetenal Neofin Blue or Rodinal, both of which seemed to strip out any remaining dyes from most films. Another factor might have been the very soft well water I had back then in my rural home.</p>