F100 and 28-80mm mis read

marc_henry1

<p>I have recently acquired a Nikon 28-80mm D lens and have just tried it on my F100 to find it reads completely different aperture values then those the lens is set to. The lens stops to a max of f22 but the camera seems to think it will go to f32 and when stopped down to f3.5 it reads it as f2.8.<br>

Having just put the lens on my D700 it is reading its range as f4.5 to f29. Is this an age compatibility issue or a fault.<br>

It focuses fast and doesn't seem to have been knocked or abused.<br>

Any ideas greatly appreciated as always.</p>

<hr>

<b>Signature URL deleted per photo.net Community Guidelines - http://www.photo.net/info/guidelines</b><br>

<p>Are you aware that many of Nikon's zoom lenses have variable aperture with focal length? That seems to cover your first observation.</p>

<p>Similarly, the lens will read slower when focused closer.</p>

<p>Having noted those two "normal" variations, it's possible that either or both "adjustments" have slipped a little in an aging lens.</p>

<p>I'll offer up the often regurgitated suggestion of cleaning the lens mount contacts - maybe that will help.</p>

<p>It's perfectly normal for the camera to show the "true" aperture in the situation you described with f/22. I dug out my old 1997 28-80 AF-D and it shows f/22 @ 28mm and f/36 @ 80mm.</p>

<p>The reading of f/2.8 is odd, though. In your D700 example, my lens reads f/4.5 "wide open" at 50mm.</p>

<p>If you determine that the readings are indeed erratic, you could set the F100 to use the tried & true aperture ring and then aperture would be mechanically set.</p>