Forum Posting Guidelines
Last Updated March 1, 2015
- No signatures on forum posts. You may not post a block of text or and/or an image and/or your website URL at the end of your posts saying who you are and/or containing a quote and/or other material unrelated to the subject under discussion.
- Don't post links to your website or online galleries. There's a field in your user profile where you can add your website or gallery URL in case anyone is interested in finding it. All they need do is click and your name to see it. You may link to a page on your website in a post as long as it's a page that provides additional information directly related to the question you are asking or answering, but it's not OK to post a link just for self-promotion. There shouldn't ever be links in NW threads as no question is being asked or answered.
- Any image you post should be your own work. If you want to reference an image shot by someone else, please link to it rather than post the image itself.
- Don't attach large images to your posts unless absolutely necessary (which is rarely the case). Images under 700 pixels wide and 100 Kbytes in size will display as images. Attached images larger than this will not display but will appear as links. Excessively large images may be removed. If you want to show image quality at the pixel level, please post 100% crops rather than entire images.
- Don't attach images just because you want people to see your work. If the image doesn't directly relate to the subject being discussed, don't post it. If you want people to see your work, please post it in the Gallery, the Critique Forum or if appropriate, the No Words forum.
- Don't post gratuitous requests in the forums for people to visit your gallery (either here on photo.net or on some other website). Everyone would like more visitors, but we don't want the forums clogged up with such requests.
- Don't post advertisements or classified ads in the forums, and don't post links to eBay auctions. Photo.net has a Classifieds section where you can post personal "for-sale" and "wanted" ads (but not eBay links). Commercial advertising is not allowed anywhere on photo.net unless approved by the photo.net advertising department (please see Advertising Options for information about commercial advertising on this website).
- Promotion of products or companies in which you have a commercial interest is not allowed. If you represent a company you are welcome to answer user posted questions related to your company or products, but you should not use photo.net to gratuitously promote your company or any of the products which you sell or represent.
- Don't post the same question to multiple forums. If you have a question about shooting portraits on the beach in Hawaii with a Nikon camera, don't post it in the Travel, Lighting, Nature, Portraits and Nikon forums. Just pick one (probably Portraits in this example).
- Don't post general questions or comments about the site (photo.net) in the discussion forums. If you have any complaints, questions etc. email "firstname.lastname@example.org" or use the "Contact Us" page. You may not get an instant reply to email but you will eventually get a reply if one is called for.
- If you have an issue with moderation in a forum, please contact the forum moderator by email, or send details of your complaints/comments to "email@example.com". Please do not start discussions about moderation in the forum itself
- Proofread your postings carefully. Currently you cannot edit your post once it's submitted to the site (though we do intend to allow edits for a short time after posting in a future software update)
- Please stay on topic. If you hold strong religious or political views, please leave them at the door when you enter photo.net. This is a site for the discussion of photography, not a soapbox for your personal views on other matters.
- Finally, some forums may have additional guidelines, specific to only that forum. You will find a short set of individual forum guidelines, along with the names of the forum moderators, at the foot of the rightmost column on each forum page. Feel free to contact the forum moderator about any forum related issues