macro lenses

zeshan_shamsi1

<p>hi, my name is zeshan and i live in the uk and currently am a student studying photography, i am very interested in macro photography, and just wondered if some one could help pick out a lens for this. i have got a list but dont really have the funds to go over £200</p>

<p>if some one could look at these and tell me which one would be best, it would be really appreciated.<br>

list: http://www.jessops.com/online.store/Products/Search.html<br>

i was told by my friends if i wanted to do this i should look into dedicated macro lenses, if i can find one in my range.<br>

i have a nikon D40 at the moment with a standard 50mm lens<br>

thanks</p>

<p>What are you wanting to photograph? That will help you determine what focal length you'll be needing. I like taking pictures of insects, and they're usually too skitish for anything under a 90mm lens. Most tend to use something in the range of 90-200mm. I bought the Sigma 150mm and that's a good length for me. However, if you want to photograph flowers and/or still/slow moving things, a shorter length is fine (and cheaper).</p>

<p>oh i see, i have already looked into getting these filters, but i cant seem to find a decent one or a resonable price.<br>

quike question how much did your sigma 105 cost?<br>

and even out of the list that i had which would be the best one to go for as i have been round unbelievable amount of sites and shops looking for lenses and filters. so my teacher has told me to look on jessops as that s were he bought his one from and my mum has also agreed on letting me spend that much, otherwise i was going to get filter.<br>

even if it isnt a true dedicated macro lens i dont mind as long that it will give me the 1:1 ratio, or is that not possible out of the list that i had on the jessops website?</p>

<p>I have been using the 55mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor Ai with much success for the last few days. The lens along with the 1:1 adapter PK 13 can be had for under $100. It is MF and will need to be metered manually on the D40, but the results and price are hard to argue with. Yes, you do need to get close to the subject and if it is skittish you will have issues, but as a place to start it can't be beat. Also keep in mind, in order to get the depth of field, you will need to stop way down and this will necessitate lots of light, so you should also consider some type of lighting setup. I used on camera pop-up and it kinda worked, but it looks like on camera pop-up.</p>

<p>http://www.flickr.com/photos/7886515@N06/sets/72157622196939075/<br /></p>

<p>thanx for that david very helpfull on that lens and i am now looking into it</p>

<p>and thankyou aswell jeannean for helping me as much as you could and i think i might get that filter aswell if i can find it.</p>

<p>but just one more question my uncle is also a keen photographer and has given me these to lenses to think about buying or not, could anyone just tell me what is the better one to go for as they are both relativly the same<br>

1. <strong>Tamron 70-300mm F4/5.6 DI LD Macro Lens</strong><br>

2. <strong>Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro</strong></p>

<p>Another lens that you might consider is the Tamron 90 2.8. I bought mine (the version without the built-in focusing motor) for $190USD. It's a gem - lightweight and tack sharp. You can add a Kenko 1.4 TC and you'll have a nice 124 f/4 macro. Unfortunately, you'll have to focus manually - unless you get the motorized version of the lens.</p>

<p>Consider using an older micro Nikkor if you can find one in good condition. The 55mm f/3.5 and 105mm f/4 are both very good. You can use a non AI lens on your D40, but consider finding at least AI'd versions if you plan on upgrading to a DSLR which can read the f-stop position and meter through the lens.</p>

<p>If you look for older macro lenses be careful with the metering. As far as I'm aware (and I could be wrong here, people who own these cameras should be able to confirm), the D40 will not meter al all with any older non-cpu lenses, only the D200, D300, D700 and the higher spec cameras will. The Lack of autofocus is not an issue as you'll want to be using manual focus in macro really anyway. Try a used Tamron 90mm AF macro, they are superb lenses for the money, but you won't get AF unless it's the latest version with the build-in motor.</p>

<p>Not really sure for the D40, but you could also go , maybe, for extension-tubes effectively converting your 50mm into a "macro" lens.<br>

The Kenko rings have the electrical contacts you need, ( rather than the nikon ones, which don't). Those rings ( make sure you get the latest version, the older onse do not have all the electronic contacts) are witin budget, and give you different options for magnifition .</p>

<p>You need to decide on the focal length you want realizing that DSLR has a factor of 1.5 in the 35mm world. In other words 90mm is more like 135mm in 35 mm terms. I have a Tamron 90 mm lens and like it. I use it as a macro and also as a prime fix lens for landscapes. Macros are razor sharp, a real advantage for getting tack sharp images.</p>