Lost a girlfriend/need a lens

richard_lyman1

<p>I think the 17-40 on the 50D covers your middle range? x1.6 = 27-64 also great picture quality, and it is your wide lens on the 5D. The 50mm is low light and covers the F4 gap. I would wait and save for a 24-70 or 24-105 and with the three zoom tele lens you have a get collection. Try to find a girlfriend who likes photographing then you wont have any problems with the next one.</p>

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Hi Richard,</p>

<p>starting from and moving to: 450d->50d->5d, kit lenses -> L lenses in one year. My understanding is that you did this because you wanted to get rid of her or/and you are a perfectionist.<br>

Do you spend more time to take photos or research lenses to buy?</p>

<p>Will you take more photos after filling the gap?</p>

<p>Everybody wants the best equipment, but you need to realize if you really need it and how often will you use it. Filling a gap is not a reason to buy a lens. If you really need it, buy, if you can live without it, then wait till you will be sure.</p>

<p>Viktor</p>

<p>I'll second, third or fourth the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 which I'm assuming you'll use on both the FF and the 1.6x body. Also the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 but that'd only work on your 50D,<br /> So .....</p>

<p>edit .... Scratch that 17-50.... i see you have a 17-40, my bad.</p>

<p>Over the years I've come to realize that the casual female acquaintance doesn't move up a notch to the "heavy like" stage until she's seeing some possibilities of a future. Then once she's subtly managed to extract bits and pieces of information from a multitude of conversations re: your finances then things may move on to the girlfriend stage.<br>

Don't sweat the girlfriend stuff unless she's packin' a f/1 super-APO-whatever......</p>

<p>I had the Tamron 28-75 and it was a really nice lens but I feel once you move to L's you will feel its short comings. <br /> 1. It is not as accurate with focusing and not as quick or quiet<br /> 2. No FTM focus.<br /> 3. Build ( this in some ways in a good thing because its so much smaller then the Canon ) <br /> 4. Colors are not quite as good as the Canon ( This is from my personal tests and really not a big issue but I did notice it)</p>

<p>Now that being said its a really good lens for the money. Imagine quality is right there but its not as good mechanically. If your happy with how the 50 1.8 works mechanically you may be very happy with the Tamron. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yet another vote for the Tamron. If you don’t need blazing-fast AF and can live without

FTM, it’s a no-brainer. I don’t and I can, and I couldn’t be happier; that extra

kilobuck has been well spent on other things.</p>

<p>For what it’s worth, the Tamron is a <em>much</em> better 28 mm f/2.8 than Canon’s prime. No comparison.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>Cameras and relationships are sometimes not getting along so well, either you spend too much time on shooting, on editing, or too much money on gear you officially don´t have (fortunately one camera looks like the other, as long as they are from the same brand and you are not an expert). I could reconcile both "worlds" by taking lovely photographs of her, and now she even wants a camera on her own because for sure it is boring to walk around with somebody who is always busy with taking photos from this and that...however, I cannot provide any advise on your lens question, because I'm with the yellow logotype.</p>

<p>Something you might consider is a 28-135 IS. The IQ is decent, the IS gets you a couple of stops for handholding (though it won't get you more light if you really need 2.8) and it's fairly inexpensive. I see them on craigslist all the time still in the box because they came as part of a kit and the photog didn't need it. It'll probably cost less than a third (or a fourth) of the 24-70 2.8L, it'll take decent pictures and when you do finally get the 24-70 L, you can just put it back on craigslist and sell it to someone else.</p>

<p>Glen - that was perfect.</p>

<p>My trick was that we "had to" get a new camera so that we could take good pictures of our new son. After the camera came, my wife realized that the learning curve on the new camera would be out of her "range of interests". In any case, I'm in the process of saving for some new gear, and what I'm learning is:</p>

<p>"Save for the best lens that your relationship (women or wallet) will allow, because no matter how much you spend, it will be more than 'any reasonable person' should."</p>

<p>Thomas, the women are out there you just have to look for them. If their profile says they into photography as a hobby and she shows one or two photos, then she is really into photography. I ran across one that was on J-date 1 year ago. They are out there, but you have to be patient. </p>