The new EOS 7D

anov

<blockquote>

<p>During extensive development Canon went back to the drawing board, listening to photographers worldwide in order to design the EOS 7D to meet their specific needs. Commenting on the creation of the EOS 7D, Mr. Shinbori, Deputy Group Executive of Photo Products Group & Senior General Manager of Camera Development Center, Canon Inc,said “We consulted over 5,000 photographers worldwide and asked them what they most wanted to see from a camera. Matching this insight with cutting-edge technology, we were able to develop a camera that truly gives photographers the versatile tool they require to experiment with their images.”</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Um, any one here who can admit to being one of the 5000? Is that more or less than the believers who are supposed to be taken up on the day?</p>

<p>Does this replace the 50D or the 5D? Neither? Perhaps the predictions of the demise of the APS-C format will have to be delayed a trifle? And what the heck is happening to the names here? 1000D, 7D, and so on?</p>

<p>Canon USA already has it on their website *<a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=19356">link</a> *</p>

<p>I was really lusting after the 5D2 for its video and high ISO performance, But now I'm not so sure. The 7D looks like it's feature set is more my style and it's certainly closer to my budget.<br>

Also, Why did we have to wait until now for the pop-up flash to function as a master?</p>

<p>"....We consulted over 5,000 photographers worldwide and asked them what they most wanted to see from a camera..."</p>

<p>Apparently, <em>not one</em> of those "5,000 photographers requested either a mirror lock-up button or 5-to-7 frame auto exposure bracketing for HDR shooting.</p>

<p>From what I can tell via DPReview's extensive hands-on preview, mirror lock-up is still buried in the custom menus and AEB is still limited to only 3 frames.</p>

<p>Sheesh.</p>

<p>Oh it has a lot of new features but at this point after downloading some full size samples from dpreview.com I'm not very impressed. The photo's are outstanding until they get to 400 ISOs and above. Then the noise seems excessive to me. Also, considering their using an L series Lense, comparatively at this point, I can do better with my 40D with an old 28-135mm, let alone my 70-200 f/4L. But I'll wait till the full tests are concluded before I make any final decision on upgrading. By then it may all be fixed with a software update.</p>

<p>Maybe I misunderstood all the previews I read, but aren't there a load of buttons that be configured for mirror lock up and other things? I know the manual is available on the canon site now, maybe the information can be obtained from there?<br>

Like Mr Bell, I too have been lusting after the 5DMKII for quite a long time. As a matter of fact I have been saving my pennies and was fully intending to make that my next big purchase. But now that the 7D has been announced I have to say the feature set is more in line with what I am looking for as well. I have seen several previews that have put up side by side images from the 5DMKII and 7D (beta) and (to me) they look pretty similar at the higher ISO (granted thats not saying much I'm nearly blind heh) I have been following the release of this product and I think I may have to jump on the fan wagon and buy when its avaiable. Has anyone heard a firm date yet?<br>

Is anyone excited about the video capabilities? I'm fully aware this is a photo forum, not a video forum but I was just curious if anyone who is considering the purchase of this camera is basing it in part on the video abilities. Im excited about the photo performance first and likely wont use the video much at all.</p>