Suggestions for "sundown" photo-shooting for owls!!??

jacques c pelletier

<p>I hope this will be OK to post this question here, otherwise, I'll move it to another thread.<br>

OK, this is going to really look weird:<br>

What would be the best possible (if possible at all) set up for bird photography under very low light, such as dawn or dusk.<br>

Reason is that I know there's this Great Horned Owl nearby and I'd like to take a chance at taking a pic of it. I actually saw it a couple of times perching on a fence post and once on an old dead tree. Problem is also that the puny buil-in flash unit on the K20D probably won't help. (I ended up with a big black blob as a picture and I did dare using the K20D flash) I suppose I should refrain from using a flash on birds because it apparently is very disturbing. In that case, I am willing to just call it off.<br>

Anyone for comments or suggestions?<br>

JP</p>

<p>Bob, yes the owl is quiet by day but finding the roost is probably the toughest thing. I do know of one specific place where one can see the pellets and, once in a while, some traces of actvity from a meal. The roost must be close by but, as you may well be aware, try to find it!<br>

I'll be on the search pretty much from now on until first snows.<br>

Cheers.<br>

JP</p>

<p>Hi Dave.<br>

Quite a challenge it is, indeed!<br>

As just mentioned by Bob, the thing would be to find the bird during day time but that is pure luck. I bet I have passed near its roost a few times and it was likely watching me!<br>

Yes, the Better Beamer would be a great tool ... funny I haven't thought about it already! Thanks for the reminder.<br>

JP </p>

<p>Don't know where you are, but here in Oregon -- at least in the desert -- great horned owls often roost in plain sight. The problem is, of course, that they look <strong>exactly </strong>like part of the tree they're sitting in, so it takes really careful looking to spot them. If you've found pellets, you must be close.<br>

Here's a GHO from eastern Oregon.</p>

<div>00UN1o-169099584.jpg.2d8568c53144d46cb4d5babb4913a507.jpg</div>

<p>Something that is controversial is to call them in. Many birders have very strong feelings against calling owls (in fact some birders and other naturalists have reservations about calling any birds), and it certainly is not permitted in most natural areas. However it is done and if not abused can be a reasonable way to call in and photograph animals.</p>

<p>Hi Jacques,<br>

This photo.net thread from 12 years ago is still relevant:<br>

http://www.photo.net/nature-photography-forum/0001yq<br>

I would suggest you spend the money on a decent external flash; every photographer should have one anyway.<br>

Re: calling birds, if you have an iPhone, spend the $20 to purchase iBird Explorer which is an impressive database with pictures of about a thousand birds. There are also calls for each bird you can play through the iPhone's speaker. I have seen the calls work amazingly well.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Bob, that is a great shot!<br>

You are very lucky to be able to spot GHO's that well. Yes, the pellets are actually just at the rocky edge of a small pond surrounded with large, old trees. I found those pellets on a couple of large rocks ... heard it there too. So, I guess I really must be close!<br>

Hopefully, I';ll be able to spot it before it starts snowing in late Fall.<br>

Thanks for the pic and the feedback.<br>

JP</p>

<p>Douglas,<br>

Calling the owl would actually not be a problem here because I would likely be the only person around here trying to do that! Because of my work schedule, I can go early on some days, or later before supper time, and be completely alone in that area where the owl is.<br>

I wouldn't abuse the method, that's for sure.<br>

Good idea though, and thanks for the tip.<br>

JP</p>

<p>Hi Jacques. That sounds very reasonable. The only owls I have ever called personally were Barred Owls. My general experience with Great Horned Owls are that they are a bit harder to approach than most other owls. That said from a blind with a caller you may well have some luck. <br>

As to the type of caller I had one of those monster Johnny Stewart (?) game callers. The thing weighs a ton ergo I very rarely use it. I am very envious of iPod callers (my co-worker who is an Ornithologists uses one for his classes, works beautifully) and they seem to work well.</p>

<p>Michael ... this is so true and frankly, after three years of using the K10D and the K20D, guess what? ... No flash yet :( but seriously, I have been looking into that for a while and still not sure if I'll pick the Pentax or Metz.<br />That would certainly help, and thanks for the reminder.<br />As for the iPhone app, I have an iPod Touch wich is using basically the exact same software as the IPhone, so I would imagine it would work with that. That is one great idea!<br>

I'm going to check this thread you mention here too.<br>

JP</p>

<p>So, I followed Michael's link to a Photo.Net thread discussing GHO photography, by what seems to be a real pro: Don Baccus.<br>

His knowledge of the "beast" is great, yet simply explained in his comments, for rookies like myself.<br>

I recommend this thread to anyone trying to do what I have been trying for a while: get an owl's picture! Just one, pleeaaase !!<br>

JP</p>

<p>Jacques,<br>

You are welcome.</p>

<p>Your initial post is timely for me as well. On Sunday night--late--my wife and I sat on the deck and she thought she heard a great horned owl. It was not all that close but at night sound carries. . .So she whipped out her iPhone, booted up the iBird Explorer app (that she had purchased the week prior--half of our Audubon group is hooked) and we matched the call to the recordings. In fact, she played the great horned call a couple of times and the real bird did fly closer.</p>

<p>At that point mentally I wanted to grab my gear and try to take a shot, but I didn't have a clue, and doing so would have broken apart any remaining romance of the moment (see if I were to have pulled out an iPod/iPhone for research it's not romantic--but when my wife does it is) so I behaved myself.</p>

<p>Keep us apprised of your progress.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Jacques,<br /> Before you rush out and buy the iPhone app: Great horned owls may be the easiest bird in the world to imitate with the human voice. If you hear one, talk back. It will probably swoop in for a closer look.<br /> Unlikely, in my experience, to bring one close enough to photograph. But you may get an evening view of one flying overhead.<br /> Another owl trick: Two people with flashlights can often find a hooting owl in the dark. Stand about 50 feet apart. Each time the owl calls, point (with hands or flashlights) at the direction of the sound and move toward it. Eventually you will find yourselves pointing at the same tree.<br /> Now all you have to do is find the owl.<br /> Have fun.</p>

<p>Michael,<br>

Great thanks again for the reply.<br>

This is a very amusing story! And always remember that the female gender has way much more romatic power than we supposedly have ... at least, that's what I learned over the years: behave and agree and all is well! :)<br>

So, I am loking into this iBird Explorer and will likely have it installed on the IPodTouch soon!<br>

JP</p>

<p>Bob, Thanks again for your input.<br>

I certainly will try that because it sounds so easy! I find hard to believe that such a bird would react to one's "human" call that way! Don't get me wrong, I believe what you are saying but never thought it could be done. Hopefully, I can sneak in at the marsh at least 1/2 hour before sundown and hope it will start "hooting" early enough ... I don't want to find myself alone in total darkness in that place!<br>

This other trick with two people is very ingenious, yet so simple. And, of course, it would prevent Item No. 1 above stating that "<em>I don't want to find myself alone in total darkness in that place</em>!"<br>

So, I will test the grounds and the calls, whether I get the IBird Explorer or not (likely will anyway) very soon, and report back if lucky!<br>

JP</p>