Price negotiation: by email or by phone?

asafrye

<p>Hello pnet friends, I'm back with a quick followup question regarding my earlier forum <a href="../business-photography-forum/00UCVJ"><strong>post</strong> </a> on licensing my work. Should I negotiate price by phone or by email? It turns out this small business wants to use up to 3 or 5 of my images on their web site and/or blog site. The duration of use has not yet been specified. In fact, I got this extra bit of info in an email from the owner. Email. . .because we just keep missing each other by phone. Since I need more detail to help determine a pricing structure I need to contact him again, but by phone or email? Email will allow me to prompt him for all the specifics, even if by a "fill in the blanks" style questionnaire. But somehow my gut is telling me that this should be a verbal agreement that I can document afterward in the contract form. Only challenge there is what I've been experiencing all week. . .he's tough to get on the phone! After a moments thought I've decided that I'll send a note requesting a specific time for a phone appointment so that we can discuss these details through. But I thought I'd also like to post this question to ponder in the forum in case by some unforeseen event(s) the phone appointment thing doesn't quite work out and I need another way to move things along. Am I just being old fashioned in not recognizing email as an acceptable effect business communication tool? I think email is a great way to share information and provide updates, but I tend to believe that certain things like business agreements and other such negotiations should be done face-to-face or voice-to-voice. Any thoughts?</p>

<p>I like both. E-mail is good as you have a written record of what was discussed.</p>

<p>Phone is a good way to build a relationship with a client.</p>

<p>I always (when possible) follow up a phone conversation with an e-mail outlining the key points agreed on. That way if there was some confusion, it gives the client the opportunity to get back to you to clarify things.</p>

<p>Scott.</p>

<p>Asa:<br /><br />Whichever way the client prefers to communicate. I work with a lot of photobuyers from all over the spectrum from small newspapers to huge national book publishers. Out of all these people there's only one that prefers phone as opposed to e-mail.<br /><br />E-mail is better because it will let the recipient deal with it when they have the time and are ready. When you call someone you don't know if they're in the middle of something that your call is interrupting, if they are ready to discuss the details of the intended image usage etc.<br /><br />Phone is better, like Gary states, for follow-up questions/clarifications but <strong>only</strong> if the person you're calling is OK with talking on the phone. Through all the years I've been working with photobuyers I have heard a lot of people state that they are very reluctant to use the phone for contacts with photographers. Mainly because, allegedly, a lot of photographers pest the photobuyer after the sale asking about publishing date, tear sheets, comp copies etc.<br /><br />Like Gary says, never come across as a pest or someone who is hard to deal with. Be fast, efficient and leave an as small footprint as possible. Make it as easy as possible for people to deal with you and you'd be surprised at how soon you'll get a group of loyal photobuyers that put you on their preferred photographer-list. </p>

<p>Thanks all! Your useful and thoughtful responses have been helpful. I decided to send an email to start and added a line that we can discuss by phone if necessary. See my <a href="00UKr0"><strong>next post</strong> </a> for the outcome of that email!</p>