Taking the Great American Road Trip

dave_l.

<p>Well the missus and I are moving west, out to Seattle. We're leaving from Pittsburgh this Sunday (August 23rd) and we'll take ten days to drive across the USA. Right now, our itinerary looks something like this:<br>

Pittsburgh-Chicago-Minneapolis-North Dakota-Montana-Idaho-Seattle<br>

We're planning on stopping at Theodore Roosevelt and Glacier National Park, but with only ten days we can't spend too much time at either place. We'll also have our dog with us, which bars us from doing serious hiking in National Parks. <br>

Any suggestions on other things to see? Both of us have a fondness for the "American Weird" and enjoy the outdoors. </p>

<p>Grant Kohrs Ranch National Park in Montana, nice look at early ranching in the area. Museum of prostitution in Wallace, ID. National Bison Range, in MT. The Oxford Club in Missoula, MT--brains and eggs for breakfast. If you can, Take Hiway 12 from Missoula, MT to Lewiston, ID and NOT I-90. You can catch I-90 later. Some neat rivers/falls and camping along the way, and west/north of Lewiston you will be in the Palouse, where harvest is just about done.</p>

<p>I second the US-12 instead of I-90. It's far more interesting. Take the US, state and local routes rather than the interstates if you really want to see anything. You'll see some interesting entertainment at the Missoula and Butte truck stops. You can see the geographic center of north america in Rugby, ND.</p>

Several years ago we (two Mass. residents) drove from Denver to Boston, mostly on I70 with a few side trips. Went to the top of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, visited presidential museums in Abilene, KS and Indpendence, MO, French settlement on the Mississippi, airplane museum iat Wright-Pat in Columbus OH. All very interesting to easterners, especially the plains. Hard to go wrong anywhere, have a great trip.

<p>I just did much of that trip (Indianapolis to BC). The dog will limit some possibilities, but a few things to check out Canyon Road near Ellensburg (WA), Old Merry-go-Round in Spokane (WA), Little Big Horn (Mont). You might want to check out some of the National Forests rather than the National Parks, we did some great hikes in Lweis and Clark NF which is south of Glacier (I can recommend a hike privately if you are interested). SD you can drive through the Badlands SD (try and get there very early or very late in the afternoon for thew best photo opportunities. Mitchell and the Corn Palace is popular (we didn't go this year) and I suppose American weird has to include Wall Drug SD (personally I think this is one of the most foolish tourist traps between either coast). Rapid City is full of odd-ball stuff, some of it maybe defined I guess as "American Weird". You have to see Devil's Peak.<br>

IN SW Minnesota is there are hieroglyphics (Jeffries?) and the old pipestone mines at Pipestone (MN).<br>

I don't know how you are going but there are the Dells in Wisc worth a look see I suppose. If you go through the Twin Cities there is just west of Minneapolis the world's largest ball of twin (I don't recall the town). Save your western experiences and purchases for Sheridan (WY).</p>

<p>Hope there is something here of interest.</p>