How did you end up using Canon FD?

Andy Collins

<p>What made you decide to use the Canon FD system? Was it an intentional, deliberate decision on your part or did circumstances just lend themselves to such an outcome? For me, it was a long and crooked road to the FD system, and I didn't really get into it seriously until the last several years or so. It started back in 1982 when I threatened my parents with buying either an electric guitar or a Kawasaki 550. My dad didn't like either option and thought that I should invest in something safer and more worthwhile--and quieter. He went down to one of our local camera shops in Ft. Wayne, IN and got all of the sales info for the Canon AE-1Program. He had the salesperson price the camera body, a 50mm f/1.8, and the motor drive. I don't remember the exact price, but it seems like it was about $450 or so. I thought that that was a lot of money for a camera! In the end I decided to buy the guitar, and it remains the one thing I love more than photography. Years later around 1989 or 1990, I learned that my girlfriend's mother always carried a camera around, an idea that I thought was pretty cool, so I bought an Olympus p&s camera. I used it fanatically for several years and carried it everywhere until I bought an EOS A2 in 1994, and that's when the photo bug bit. Actually it was more like a swarm of photo bugs because I've been very serious about photography ever since. Much later, in 2003 or so while playing around with my then-new 10D I thought about how interesting it would be to use an older manual camera along with my newfangled digital camera and 1v, so I thought I'd start purchasing some old FD gear. My first purchase was an AE-1Program; how ironic, huh? Not long after, I purchased a nice A-1 with an FDn 50/1.4 and all of the accessories. Of course the plain vanilla AE-1 followed along with a T-90, a Pellix, an FT, and then a beautiful F-1N and all of the accessories that went along with it. However my collection of gear began to swell and swirl out of control, so I sold much of it. Recently though, I began to long for my old Canon friends, but this time decided to use a little restraint and build a nice, practical system. I had always liked the looks and profile of the original F-1 better than that of my F-1N (I know how superficial that is, but I can't help it...) even though my F-1N was a better camera, so I was glad to find a nice one at the camera store. It's a fantastic camera, one of my favorites of all time. I have built the foundation of a nice little system and I enjoy using it as much as my EOS gear. And the rest, as they say, is history! So, what's your story? How did you start using FD?</p>

<p>I had been given a Mamiya Sekor 1000 DTL some years earlier as a Christmas present. I had been using a Zeiss Ikon Contessa folding camera (which I still use today), and was puzzled that the optics on the Mamiya was so awful. I must have studied cameras for two years, and finally saw the Canon EF and fell in love. Most kids were probably reading dirty magazines at that age, but I was drooling over Modern and Popular photography magazines, and pictures of the Canon EF. I finally bought one and absolutely loved it. I later mainly switched to Nikon, keeping the core FD system, and now have returned to Canon because of the optics they now offer.</p>

<p>I shot my first slides when I was eight; I attended an event set up by the camera club my dad was in. He later let me use his Zeiss Contaflex, then later yet his Konica FP. He had always been interested in Canon, but never bought any Canon equipment himself. In his shadow, I used to dream about the TLb and FTb in photographic buyer's guides in the early 70s.</p>

<p>So when I married and it was time to get my wife something better than her pocket Instamatic, we bought an AE-1 Program. The first roll of film back was stunning. Everything was so much better than the Konica had ever produced, especially with regard to exposure. A lot of people today tend to run down the centerweighted averaging meter, but compared to an external reflected light meter, it was simply phenomenal. Its consistency was a quantum leap ahead.</p>

<p>That was 1984, so in '85 and '86, I bought A-1s and a few lenses. Wanted an F-1, but couldn't afford it. Later got busy with career and stopped shooting much. Since I've never lived near a good market for equipment, online auctions later made it possible for the first time to start expanding my collection.</p>

<p>I never went into digital because I was unwilling to pay thousands for a camera to meet my expectations after using my FD equipment. So here I am, still and always an FD film shooter as some other folks begin to move back to film.</p>

<p>I am a recent convert. I own several old folders, box cameras and rangefinders in addition to a DSLR, but no SLR's. At one time I owned a Nikon F3HP which I really enjoyed using and therefore I decided to purchase a manual focus SLR. I was going to purchase another Nikon, but the Nikon glass is still quite expensive compared to FD glass and I wasn't prepared to lay out a lot of money on a gamble. I wasn't certain that I would be able to focus correctly with my eyesight. As it turns out I can focus just fine when I take my time. I started with an A1/FDn50mm f1.8 a few months back and in addition to that I have acquired a F1N and a few more lenses. I don't leave home without at least one of them loaded with B&W film. I'm having a real good time taking pictures again!</p>

<p>I got my first camera when I was 11 or 12, it was a Zenit TTL - bought new though I can't remember if it was from pocket money or a bday gift (or both?). Got it with M42 macro rings and a "Sniper" shoulder mount with 300mm f5.6. Spent about two years lugging around those contraptions, after less than a year the latch of the back cover would start failing unpredictably & expose the film every so often!</p>

<p>My dad had a Canon AT-1 at the time, I guess he felt sorry seeing me use the TTL with rubber bands tied around it and decided that was just the excuse he needed to buy himself an A-1 and pass on the AT-1 to me. I think I gave him my piggybank's grand total of $50 and then I swindled my gullible elder brother into buying the TTL from me for $12.50 :-)</p>

<p>I got an FL bellows a little later as well as an nFD 100 f2.8 and a Cullman tripod with geared elbow column, and used those for over 10 years to shoot macro of just about every single bug that ever flew, hopped or crawled through the back yard and adjacent fences. I would always take along the AT-1 holiday snaps on annual summer trips to the UK and thus avoid having to pose for pictures myself (all slide film to save money, now I don't know where all those slides are). I still have the AT-1 and it works fine though it's now well worn.</p>

<p>I was, yes, a Nikon user until I went digital. Then I went for EOS. After a year or so, I began to wonder what I had missed, so bought a nice AE-1 Program, then a FD 50mm f/1.4, then a couple of zooms: 35-70 and 70-210.<br>

I also bought the AE1P because it had a Spiratone winder on it, and I had got fascinated with all the Spiratone gear. The whole system is very nice, and, as I've said before, I'm sorry about the jibes I used to make at my friends who shot Canon. Most of the cameras I fool with are much less automatic, and I don't shoot a lot with the older Canons, but I've learned to respect them.</p>

<p>I was a teenager when the Canon A-1 was launched and my confused hormones made me think what a sexy camera this was (girls were next but you don't have to talk to a camera!). My Dad wouldn't buy me one and I did'nt have the kind of money for an SLR so I made do with a magazine advert of the A-1 stuck on my wall.<br>

After I graduated from university, I finally had enough money to buy an SLR and went for the Minolta X-700. I still wanted the A-1 but that was discontinued and the X-700 was the closest looking SLR that was still available new! However, one day I came across a nice condition used A-1 and memories of my previous teenage lust made me buy it.<br>

Years later, eBay arrived and I came across loads of other FD cameras and I became determined to own every FD camera! So I pretty much have one of each example of FD camera body and a large collection of lenses. I have stopped now because of space limitations.</p>

<p>My attraction and addiction to the Canon FD System was a very deliberate and intentional indulgence as an aspiring freelance nature photographer in 1973. At that time, there were only two professional 35mm camera/interchangeable lens systems on the shelf - Canon and Nikon.<br>

After researching and handling both cameras before my final decision between a Nikon F and the Canon F-1, I opted for the F-1. It was far more ergonomic for me to handle, and I found access to the controls and their functions easier to understand. It simply fit and felt better. End of that hunt for the best tool for me to follow a dream.<br>

Since then, I have built an extensive FD camera, lens and accessories inventory for different applications over the years, which I continue to use to this very day.<br>

Jonathan</p>

<p>I can answer this question twice. In the late 1970´s I was in my early 20´s and started my SLR journey with a Zenith E. That gave problems, but I´d got the bug, so moved up to the Pentax MX. Lovely camera and system, but I found myself increasingly frustrated with manual only cameras, so got the Canon A1 in 1979. Built a system around that, got my own darkroom going too, and had a lot of fun.<br>

Went bicycle touring for 8 months in 1984, so sold all my stuff including my FD gear. Ended up in Australia, got into medium and large format there. 1998 left all that behind too, ended up here in Germany and turned to painting, with just a little Olympus XA for pix. Thanks to ebay (I love it!) in 2006 I bought a lovely little Contax TVS2, which got me seriously thinking photography again. Wanting the SLR benefits of WYSIWYG in the viewfinder, accurate focussing, interchangeable lenses etc, I began to trawl ebay for SLR´s. I wasn´t necessarily looking for FD, but the first bite I got was a ridiculously cheap AT-1 and a couple of lenses. From then on I was hooked on FD for a second time...I always knew the quality was what I wanted, but the ebay prices suddenly made all this great gear fantastic value for money. What I couldn´t afford new in the 1980´s I can buy for a fraction of the price now. And FD gear seems to be robust enough that, 6 bodies and numerous lenses later, I haven´t had one dud yet. Fingers crossed!</p>

<p>Part of my reason for having a large collection of Canon FD gear (the T70 I've just bought will be my 9th FD body) is to have a blokey collection in the house to counteract my fiancee's glasses and vases... With prices as they are I can fill my display cabinet more cheaply with my type of glass than she can with hers!<br>

There is more to it though. Initially I got into FD because the T90 was, I thought, the best camera on the market in 1990. Better than the Eos models (600/650/620) that were around at the time, in fact the only other camera I considered to be near the T90 was the Contax 167.<br>

About 5 years ago I strayed, thinking Digital had come of age, I sold off most of my FD kit and I built a system of EF lenses (16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L, 24L & 2x) around an Eos 1Ds. Unfortunately the Eos system still has rubbish handling and tactle qualities so in the last year or so I've come back to using my F-1 AE and bought an AT-1 and a bunch of other FD kit, though I've yet to replace some of my better lenses (like the 28/2, 17/4 and 400/4.5). In spite of that I now have a nice little system to play with, including an 85-300 which was one of the lenses I could only dream of in the past. I'm only lacking couple of fast wides and a maybe a really big (possibly white) telephoto.</p>

<p >I started taking pictures in 1964, when I was thirteen with a 6x6 cm Agfa Isolette (85 mm 4.5). All was manual with it. Even you have to estimate the distance to the subject and be very careful with DOF. Then I was given by my father a Ricoh 35 S rangefinder (40mm 2.8)and in the early seventies, my uncle from Chicago gave me a Yashica TL Electro (50mm 1.7), my first SLR. Even the Ricoh and the Yashica had meters, I was getting good results with all three cameras applying the “sunny sixteen” rule.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >In december 1979 I was in the free shop of Maiquetía Airport in Caracas, Venezuela, and fell in love with a black AE-1 body. I bought it with a 50 mm 1.4 lens for u$s 300. From that moment the camera accompanied me up today without any flaw in all my trips, vacations and family celebrations. (Only once the shutter was stuck, but it composed itself so mysteriously as it was started). In addition to the 50 mm I have only two more lenses: the Canon 28 mm 2.8 and a 10-200 f4 Vivitar zoom. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >The drawback for me with my excellent AE-1 was that, even manual mode is possible with it, I got accustomed to take pictures in the shutter priority mode and not thinking in the exposure values any more. So one day I decided to return to full manual and to my old “sunny 16” days and because I couldn´t find a trusty used F1N I switched to Nikon and bought a FM2. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Both cameras and systems coexist together and I´m very happy with them.</p>

<p >Mario. </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I started taking pictures in 1964, when I was thirteen with a 6x6 cm Agfa Isolette (85 mm 4.5). All was manual with it. Even you have to estimate the distance to the subject and be very careful with DOF. Then I was given by my father a Ricoh 35 S rangefinder (40mm 2.8)and in the early seventies, my uncle from Chicago gave me a Yashica TL Electro (50mm 1.7), my first SLR. Even the Ricoh and the Yashica had meters, I was getting good results with all three cameras applying the “sunny sixteen” rule.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >In december 1979 I was in the free shop of Maiquetía Airport in Caracas, Venezuela, and fell in love with a black AE-1 body. I bought it with a 50 mm 1.4 lens for u$s 300. From that moment the camera accompanied me up today without any flaw in all my trips, vacations and family celebrations. (Only once the shutter was stuck, but it composed itself so mysteriously as it was started). In addition to the 50 mm I have only two more lenses: the Canon 28 mm 2.8 and a 10-200 f4 Vivitar zoom. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >The drawback for me with my excellent AE-1 was that, even manual mode is possible with it, I got accustomed to take pictures in the shutter priority mode and not thinking in the exposure values any more. So one day I decided to return to full manual and to my old “sunny 16” days and because I couldn´t find a trusty used F1N I switched to Nikon and bought a FM2. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Both cameras and systems coexist together and I´m very happy with them.</p>

<p >Mario. </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p>I started SLR photography with a Pentax Spotmatic in high school in the early 70's. The photo bug was firmly entrenched by the time I joined the Army in '74. Typical youth, I thought the screw mount cameras were so last decade. I talked with the guys at the post camera club and learned about the F-1. It cost a fortune then and was out of the question but I did find a used FTbn and later bought a TX, as backup, from the PX. The gear was top notch so I just stuck with it.<br>

After the Army I used my military training and worked as a nuclear medicine tech for a few years but then decided to pursue my passion and went back to school at Brooks Institute to study photography. In school, along with LF and MF gear, I picked up a used F-1 and A-1 and never looked back. Somehow or other Nikon gear crept in, mostly for a few of those unique Nikkors. Later EOS and digital stuff came along, but I remain till this day a dedicated Canon FD guy with seven bodies and 13 lenses. Don't get me started on the guitars, Andy. Music is my other passion.</p>

<p>I switched from Nikon FtN to Canon F1 because I needed more precision than Nikon F2 offered for technical photography (title slides etc). You can run a roll of film twice through an F1 and get perfect registration, Nikon had to be expensively modified. I made half of a very good living with F! (the other half with 4X5). One of those F1s works fine today after one expensive CLA...it shot 1500 rolls of film in its first year. I was revolted by the plastic Canons that followed so simply stuck with F1 (and rangefinders and other formats) until Pentax K20D.</p>

<p>Back in the early 70's I worked in a small photo supply store. Two of my fellow salesmen were Nikon enthusiasts, while all I had was a Ricoh Singlex. The store carried Nikon, along with several other choices, but not Canon. The local Canon rep was trying to talk the owner into carrying the line, and in an attempt to get his foot in the door, offered me a just-released Canon FT-b N , black body with a 50mm F1.4 lens at below dealer net. He was hoping I'd love the camera and push the owner into carrying the line.</p>

<p>I loved (and still do love) that camera. For 35 years it was worked flawlessly, with only occasional CLA's. The store owner agreed to carry the Canon line, and likewise, was very happy with what it did for his bottom line. I own several of the FT-b's cousins in the FD series, but the old girl is still my 'go-to' camera when I've got one chance to get it right.</p>

<p>I got into the Canon FD system to prove a point. :)</p>

<p>When I met my wife 10 years ago, she'd been given an AE-1 Program (funny how that and the A-1 keep showing up in this thread!) for a birthday present. I was a Minolta MD fan, but wondered why she never used her camera. Turns out that she was in love with the Pentax K-1000 a friend taught her how to shoot with some years before, and she refused to learn and adapt to the AE-1.</p>

<p>Well, a few years later I got tired of the camera sitting there, unused, so I took it, its 50mm 1.8 lens, and a roll of film to a museum trip we went on. I wanted to show her how good the camera was (based on what I had heard of the FD system) but I was unprepared for what actually happened. *I* fell in love. The images were superb. Probably no better than my X-700 pics, but they really, really stood out.</p>

<p>She kinda just shrugged. So I used her camera a couple more times, liked what I saw, and got into the FD system myself. I now have all the A series and a T90 and love the lenses. I've been exploring lots of camera systems and between the Canon FD and Konica SLRs I've acquired, I am loving film photography more than ever now.</p>

<p>Oh, I did eventually buy her a Pentax K-1000 for her birthday. It now sits, unused, in her closet. Sheesh. Maybe i should test drive it for her. :)</p>

<p>I bought an A1 when they first came out to use alongside my Leica rangefinder gear when an SLR was more appropriate. After about 10 years I grew to dislike they Canon gear and sold it all. About a year and half ago, I decided to pick up a used T90 because of its versatility to use such a wide variety of older manual focus lenses, and it has become a favorite in very short time especially with L lenses and macro lenses.</p>

<p>I had been using Konica cameras for many years and by the time I started using Canon cameras I already had Minoltas, M42 cameras and others. A CameraShopper seller had a Vivitar 90/2.5 Series 1 macro lens advertised for $50. I had thought about that lens for a long time and when I saw it, even without the 1:1 adapter, for such a low price, I bought it. I had no Canon cameras at the time so I bought an FT body and had it overhauled. This meant I had to use the lens in stop down mode. Canon TX and TLb bodies were also cheap but they didn't have a top shutter speed of 1/1000. The FT also had the 12 degree metering and mirror lock-up. Now the Canon SLR I use most is an F-1. I shot a few frames with it this morning with a 35/2 FD SSC (CFE) and some 200 speed Walgreen's color print film. Some time after I got the 90mm Vivitar lens I was able to find a 1:1 adapter.</p>

<p>I was passed down a used Canon FT from a relative when I was a teen. In 1982 I was given a new Canon AE-1.<br>

I've been with the Canon FD system ever since. Today, I'm into it more than ever, purchasing extra FD bodies and lenses via e-bay. Great, great fun.<br>

<a title="Canon AE-1 Program SLR Film Camera by Michael's Film Pix, on Flickr" href=" Canon AE-1 Program SLR Film Camera src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3450/3725964358_1216503c92_m.jpg" alt="Canon AE-1 Program SLR Film Camera" width="240" height="160" /></a></p>

<p><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelraso/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelraso/</a></p>

<p>I never will forget (and it has been almost 36 years) the first time a saw a black & white print start to emerge in a pan of developer. Magic only begins to describe it. I was a freshman in college & some friends had access to a hole-in-the-wall dark room in the building across from my residence hall (I use that term since I was a hall director for 8 years & hate the term "dorm"). I couldn't afford a camera while I was in school, but when I graduated in '77 I wanted to buy a camera with some of the money I got as a present. <br /> I friend of mine had a Nikon & a few lenses. I played with his stuff, but the way the Nikons turn to focus didn't feel right (wrong way). He suggested I look at both Olympus & Canon cameras. I tried the Olympus OM-1 (I think), but it felt too small in my hands. The AE-1 felt perfect. <br /> In the fall of '78 I went back to grad school an an Assistant Residence Hall Director. I made a deal with the Hall Council that I would shoot slides of any and all activities in the building if they would pay for the slide film & processing; I would then put on a slide show at the end of the year. I shot opening day, formals, the first day of real snowfall, lots of sunsets (Oswego, NY was known as one of the top places in the world for sunsets). I found that the residents were happy with just seeing the unedited slides right after they were processed. They didn't care; they just wanted to see themselves. I did that for most all of the buildings I ran. I, of course, still have boxes & boxes of mostly K 64 slides from those years, along with family slides and negatives.<br /> I started with that AE-1 and a 50mm 1.8 S.C., picked up a FDn 28mm 2.8 & a Vivitar Ser. 1 70-210mm 3.5 (67 mm) zoom. That was the core kit for a long time. Over the years I "inherited" a FT QL with a FL 55mm 1.2. I also picked up a black body AE-1 & finally a T-90. In the last couple of years I could now afford some L glass (20-35mm & 80-200mm), a Sigma 14mm 3.5 & a Vivitar Ser. 1 600mm solid cat. <br /> I have three boxes of K 25 that have been in the freezer over 10 years; I'm trying to decide what to shoot to give it a good send off. I have a CanoScan 2710 & keep saying I'm going to digitize all my negs & slides. A good long-term project; they're not going anywhere (like some digital files I know).</p>

<p>My dad was a Canon fanatic from way back when, before they had SLRs. In 1970 (Japan Expo) on a family trip to Japan, he bought an FT with 35, 50 and 100mm lenses. A few years later, I "inherited" his kit for my highschool photograpy class. I also inherited his fanaticsm for Canon (and film). I bought my own first camera in 1980 for another trip to Japan, a brand new left-over EF with a BLFD 85mm f1.8. Having become accustomed to the 12% selective area metering, I never got used to the EF so I bought a new F-1n within a year. When the New F-1 came out, I found that I could not afford one (IIRC, $1200 for the FN body). By the time I COULD afford the New F-1, Canon had discontinued production. The T series and EOS series never interested me since I prefer manual controls. Fast forward to 2007, thanks to Ebay, I've been buying a lot of stuff I couldn't back then. I ended up buying a few New F-1s and a bunch of lenses I would never been able to afford when they were new. But my FT and F-1n will always be my favorite cameras.</p>

<p>I was in South East Asia last year on holiday and had my heart set on a 40D with a 50mm 1.4, after trawling through all the electronics markets in Bangkok i figured that i would wait till the end of my trip and buy one on the way home (i didn't want to ruin it backpacking) turns out that i got dengue fever and spent a little more cash on the trip than i thought and didn't quite have enough cash to get the camera that i wanted. My last stop before home was Hanoi and there are dozens of camera shops all round Hoan Kiem Lake, stumbled onto an F-1 and managed to barter the price down (with a 50mm 1.4 and 35-105 3.5) to less than half what the EOS 50mm was going to cost. Haven't looked back.<br>

Found a kit on the net earlier this year that i brought and sold part of so now i have an 85 1.2, 24-35, 200 2.8, and my other stuff and it has still cost me less than the EOS 50mm 1.4 would have, why wouldn't you!</p>

<p>In 1980, I had been using my brother's Sears SLR with M42 lenses. It might have been made by Konica. I decided to get my own camera, I took the Sears camera to a shop and asked for a camera that operated the same and I took home an AE-1 with a 50mm f1.8. I added an AT-1 less than six months later then a 28mm f2.8, a 70-210 f4 and B&W darkroom. That was my kit for 26 years, I found ebay and then it started.....................that's my story and I'm sticking to it.<br>

Too many cameras, not enough time.</p>

<p>In my last year of high school I needed to work on a portfolio to apply for architecture. My brother-in-law showed me how to use his rangefinder with aperture and shutter controls. Built my portfolio up, got accepted and then changed my mind and went into engineering.</p>

<p>Decided I didn't like engineering so in the fall of 1983 bought my first SLR to build up a portfolio again, this time for Industrial Design. A friend of mine had a Canon AE-1 and all the photography magazines were stating that the AE-1 Program was the number one seller. At that time I felt more comfortable setting the shutter speed and letting the camera choose the aperture automatically. The Nikon cameras of similar value offered aperture priority instead. I chose the Canon AE-1 Program with 50/1.8 and then walked down the other end of the mall and bought a Kiron 80-200/4.5 Macro Zoom-lock. Went off to a school of Industrial Design a year later and by then I was hooked. Not too long after, once I started shooting some sports I wished that I had gone with Nikon, with it's aperture priority system instead, but I adapted well and continued with the FD system. </p>

<p>Half way through school, in 1986, I bought a T-90 within a couple of months of it's release. After graduating and getting a job I ate Kraft dinner regularly so I could add a new Kiron 24/2, used FD 200/2.8, used FD 17/4, used FD 2x-B and used FD 55/1.2 SSC. Into the new millenium I upgraded through more used equipment including FD 400/4.5, FD 1.4x-A, FD 2x-A, FD 300/2.8 Fluorite, FD 400/2.8 L and finally the Canon FD-EOS 1.26x to use the 400/2.8 and 200/2.8 on a Canon 10D and my wife's EOS film body.</p>

<p>About four years ago I jumped ship for Nikon manual focus lenses to use on the 10D with mechanical adapters. Sold all the FD equipment except my mid 80's Vivitar 5600 flash unit which still works perfectly to this day. A year ago I switched to a full frame Nikon mount DSLR body and a Nikon 1.5x DSLR body.</p>

<p>The Canon FD system gave me 23 years of pleasure, learning experience, and memorable images. For years I was ticked off that a year after buying the T-90, Canon flushed the FD system down the drain. I have finally gotten over it, I think, and I am now just as pleased with all of my Nikon lenses of the same generation as my previous FD lenses. </p>