50D or new lenses

david israel

<p>I am looking to make an equipment purchase in the near fuure and don't know if I should invest in a 50D or keep my 20D and in vest in a 10-22MM lens. I have lenses to cover most scenarios with the exception of the wide angle (10-22MM) Is the 20D good enough or am I better off upgrading my body as opposed to buying an additional lens?<br>

Thanks,</p>

<p>I would understand if nobody responded to your last posts, but this is your third on the same subject, and all previous ones gave you plenty of answers !</p>

<p>I mean what answer do you expect ? Just name it and I will give it to you, to end this already :)</p>

<p>Give yourself a good slap, and decide for yourself ! Only you can answer if you really need that wide lens or a better body.</p>

<p>Buy one now and one later. I'd buy the lens now, since lens upgrades are much less frequent than camera body upgrades. That way, when you've saved up the money for a new body, maybe a replacement for the 50D will be out. I have the Canon EF-S 10-22 and it is a really good lens. Very high IQ and true wide on a 1.6 body. I highly recommend it.</p>

<p>Sorry Otan,</p>

<p>Just like to get as many opinios as possible as my wife (the boss) is pretty tight with the budget.. It could be a couple of years before I get another opportunity to buy a decent piece of camera equipment. I am going this weekend and I really don't know what I want to do. I love Macro photography and feel the additional MP's will be a big help and on the other hand the 10-22mm is very appealing to me as well for a whole diffrent prespective of photograhy. The more opinions the better. Plus I posted a question like this a few years back and that's what ended up turing me towards the 100MM which i did not know about at the time. I love that lens!<br />Thanks everybody,</p>

<p>David</p>

<p>There are very few photos that you will take with a new 50D that you cannot take with your current 20D. Possibly none. There are <em>many</em> that you will be able to take with your new 10-22 that you wouldn't even think of otherwise. I think this is an easy choice. Unless you really <em>need</em> the new features that sets the 50D apart, then get the 10-22. It will no doubt expand your photography in a way that no new body can. Besides, the 20D remains an excellent camera.</p>

<p>A third option would be to pick up a used 5D, which are quite cheap these days. A full frame sensor would be more likely to improve your images than an updated crop sensor would.</p>

<p>However, I tend to agree with Anders and the others who have said that you're better off going with the 10-22 lens at this time, particularly if you foresee a use for its very wide perspective. But if you're a normal to short telephoto kind of photographer (as I am), you might want to upgrade the body, bearing in mind that bodies depreciate much more (and more quickly) than do lenses.</p>

<p>I'd agree with Anders. The 10-22 will give you a whole new area for exploration if you don't have a lens in this range. The 50D has not been Canon's best upgrade and of course the next camera version is always going to be bigger and better <a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_60D.html">(Canon 60D, 25th August?)</a> .<br /> You need to decide where your interests lie - if it's nature then the 10-22mm, a sturdy tripod and some GNDs would be something worth exploring. <br /> I don't know enough about the 40D/50D to comment in detail but I do hear good things about the use of LiveView to assist with manual Macro focussing, useful with the 100mm macro lens.<br /> The 20D is a good camera - you can easily review the differences and decide if those differences make an upgrade purchase important to you.</p>

<p>Still shooting a 20D and have about four lenses to buy (invest in) before I'm even thinking about a new body.<br>

Perfect your craft (technique) with what you have before trying to keep up w/ constantly improving (but by smaller and smaller amounts) electronics.</p>

<p>my 2cents!<br>

BRB</p><div>00U7wZ-161659584.thumb.jpg.9edc70886b9e5a77fc57a360bfec10f0.jpg</div>