New lens for ef-s

daniel flather

<p>Source of info?<br>

Seems like a hoax to me.<br>

50 or 55 would be the more obvious starting point to marry up with the EFs 17-55mm f2.8. The only other obvious lens to match it too would be the 17-40 f4, why would they?<br>

Different mounts? different back focus? different focal lengths? If true, it's not a crop camera version of anything, it's a completely new lens.<br>

One of the major benefits of the crop sensor is the effective increase in telephoto, why would canon negate this? Why would they make a high spec lens with a constant f2.8 etc without just going all the way and making it L spec (weather sealed etc)<br>

It's not a lens that would appeal to the average rebel buyer (price, zoom), the aspirational xxd user would probably just go for the L in anycase, put up with the 55-70 gap, get the build, sealing and lets face it, the kudos that goes with the big white lens.<br>

Without any verification, this is a definite hoax.</p>

<p>Actually, it sounds great to me. Last week I was shooting indoor open stage dance performances in Joinville, Santa Catarina, Brazil. My 55-250 was too slow. My 24 2.8 was too wide. My 85 1.8 was too limiting due to fixed focal length. I thought it would be nice to have something like the Tamron 28-75 2.8 or the Tokina 50-135 2.8 or the Sigma 50-150 2.8. The 70-200 2.8 L would have been too long on the wide end to be of much use. So, for those of us who shoot 1.6 crop cameras, it would be nice to have a high quality optic that would serve us well. Who cares if it overlaps with the 17-55 a little. People talk all the time about not minding having a gap between 55 and 70, so why should it bother anyone if they have an overlap between 40 and 55? For me, an EF-S 40-125 2.8 IS would work very well. It may never come to be, but it would be nice.<br>

DS Meador</p>

• 7 months later...