OK Which one do I get? 50D or 10-22MM lens?

david israel

<p>OK I am getting a 40th birthday gift from my wife and have the problem of what item do I get. I currently have a Canon 20D with battery grip and a Canon Rebel XT with battery grip. The problem is that I want a new 50D but during my research online I came across the Canon 10-22MM lens which I think could be a lot of fun. It's one or the other. Do I get the 50D and have the 15.1MP or do i get the 10-22MM lens and have a whole new photographic prespective to play around with. I am listing all of my equipment below and you will see that the 10-22 would round off my collection but the 50D would also make my existing gear more effective as well. What do you think?<br />Canon 50MM 1.8<br />Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro<br />Canon 70-300 IS USM<br />2x Pheonix converter<br />Remote shutter realese with cable<br />Canon 28-105MM<br />Sigma (Bigma) 50-500MM<br />Tamron 19-35mm<br />430EX Speetlite<br />Battery grips for both cameras<br />Standard tripod<br />Monopod<br />Tamrrac expediton backpack<br />Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!<br />Thanks,<br />David</p>

<p>Sell everything you have except the 70-300mm lens. Get the 50D, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 and when you can afford it the 10-22mm. Then you have a state of the art camera and quality lens coverage from 10 to 300mm with a light load that doesn't get in your way. JMNHO! </p>

<p>One more vote for the lens here. As you've surmised, the 10-22mm really is a fun lens and opens up a range of shots you can't currently get. If you don't like it, you can sell it for most of what you paid and save the money for the 60D. The 50D gets nice reviews but apparently has worse low-light performance than its predecessor. I was tempted, but I'm waiting!</p>

<p>There is no picture you can get with a 50D that you couldn't also get with your 20D or Rebel XT. You can't get any pictures with a ultra wide angle perspective with you current setup - which a 10-22 would give you. Get the lens!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The 50D is not only about the 15MP, is about less noise at higher ISO, better cropping possibility, nicer colors (especially the blue), crazy burst speed of > 6 fps etc (compared to what bodies you have right now). Your photos will be better with the new body, that's for sure. And I'm not talking about when shooting in bright sun with nicely contrasted subject. For that you don't even need a dSLR :)</p>

<p>I would get the 50D, keep the XT as backup, sell the 20D and get for that money a nice 17-50mm Tamron to cover for wide range (as Gil mentioned above). Who knows when you will have money to invest in a new body. Just my 2 cents, but I do speak from my personal experience btw</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I got my 10-22 lens while I still had my 20D and never regreted getting it. Super lens and you will enjoy using it, I do. As others have already said get the lens and get some use out of it. Save for the body for future use.</p>