registering a company name

<p>I am currently a student photographer but am starting to look at what I need to do to start a home based business after I graduate. can anyone give me advice on registering a business name; where do I need to start? Do I need to copyright a business name? Should I just "sign" (watermark)my photos or do I need to be a registered business first? Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.</p>

<p>To register a business name you have to visit your local County headquarters. Usually they prevent you from registering a name that is similar or identical to what they have on file. Once you register your business name, you might have to apply for a business license depending on the services you are offereing. Registering a business name is allot easier than trying to register a Domain name for your website, beleive it or not. However, once you are registered, the County will probably report your Business name to the State, which might report it to the IRS. The IRS requires an EIN(employer ID number). </p>

<p>Every state is different, so I would suggest checking with either a local CPA or attorney. There may also be someone at your school, a business professor for instance, who could answer your questions and give you an idea of some of the decisions you'll need to make, such as whether or not to incorporate. You might also try SCORE, an organization of retired businesspeople that offers free small business information. Good Luck!</p>

<p>http://www.score.org/index.html</p>

<p>Hi Lisa,</p>

<p>It depends on the state where you live or want to end up living. (I assume you are in the US) In Florida you have to apply for your fictitious name from the state. It costs $50 and is good for 5 years. They have to check that the name is available first. If you just want to use your name as the business name then you can skip the registration. I ended up having to get my EIN and Fictitious Name beofre anything else because all the county forms and such required that information. It could be different where you are.</p>

<p>The best thing you can do is really plan ahead carefully and figure out what you neeed to do and what order you need to do it in. You will need a business plan. The SCORE website Bill listed abouve is an excellent resource. They also have downloadable startup documents like a business plan template and cash worksheets that I found very helpful. The IRS also has very good tax related information on their website. They also let you apply for an EIN onllne now. The number is provided immediately so that you can use it right away. I would also check your state's official web site and your local county's web site for more information specific to your area. </p>

<p>In reference to Harry's comment above. I actually bought my domain name before I registered the business name so that I had everything the same. I would recommend maybe checking into that if having them match up is important to you. Good luck!</p>

<p>Katherine</p>

<p>If you decide to use your own "full" name, then there is no need to file a fictitious name with your local or state government, as it isn't one! But even using your last name alone is considered a fictitious name. I do think it is a great idea to get your domain name first if you are going to use a fictitious name as stated above.</p>

<p>I have lived in a few places now and the requirements are different in different places. Where I live now in Texas, no business license is required, even for Corporations. Where I lived before, an individual didn't need a business license (normally city and/or county) until after your revenue exceeded a certain level. The best thing to do is to visit your local city offices and ask what you need for what you are planning. They are generally very helpful.</p>

<p>Some who don't incorporate don't ever get an EIN, but these days, with so much identity theft, it is certainly a good idea. Before I incorporated, I operated with my SS number, but that was 20 years ago and internet and identity theft were essentially non-existent. I still find most assistants still use just their SS number even though they also shoot for clients on occasion as well.</p>

<p>So, there are really a lot of individual factors that get involved in all of this. The best thing to do is to talk to folks in your area like the city and county offices, an accountant that specializes in small business or even an attorney. But start with the city as they will get you going and help you determine if you need further assistance for what you want to do.</p>

<p>Always check with the local government office. It's mostly done by state. In NY, you have to have a unique name in your area. In Illinois, if your a sole proprietor and NOT a corporation, you can have the same name as other businesses. You're also required to run a newspaper ad for 3 consecutive weeks and submitting proof before being approved. So as you can see, it's different everywhere....-Aimee<br>

As John suggests, if you use your own name, you may not need to register anything.</p>

<p>Lisa,</p>

<p>As others have suggested, check with a local CPA. This will save you a lot of headaches and you'll be sure you're doing everything right from the beginning. Your local SCORE group ( retired executives that are willing to help new and small businesses ) should also be able to help.<br /><br />Before you decide on any name, including using your own name, I'd highly recommend that you check with on-line registrars such as GoDaddy et al that a URL that reflects the name is available.<br /><br />You can't really copyright a business name but you can certainly Trade Mark it. You do this through the US Library of Congress. I trademarked my business name early on and it was fairly easy. Filled out a few forms, paid the govmint $300 or thereabouts and got a TM certificate.</p>

<p>Best of luck! </p>