How do you direct your model(s)?

<p>Am starting a portrait-taking project so this is kinda new to me. During the first test session the model(in this case, my daughter) asked me what I wanted her to DO. It made me think that I'd better think that question out BEFORE future photo sessions since I intend to use ordinary people who may be uncomfortable in front of a camera.<br>

I'd like some feedback from your experience what do YOU do to break the ice and get the model to relax so you can get the session started and get some great images. Here's a couple things I thought of: let her put some of her music on to concentrate something other than a camera lens staring at her, I asked her to tell me a funny story, use a longer lens(in my case a 150mm on my ETRS) so I wouldn't have the lens right in their face. What works for you?</p>

<p>I took lots of portraits of businesswomen when I was shooting commercially. I found it worked best to just converse comfortably and know my gear well enough that I didn't need to be focusing on the technical aspects. I think the subject tends to buy into any tension one is experiencing behind the camera. It can help to get a bit of background info. on the subject as food for conversation. Or you can just begin asking some questions. Be sure to listen to the responses while you work so it's clear you're listening.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>When I did professional portraits I started out by doing a little basic makeup on the subject, unless there was a makeup person. This got me close enough to talk to the person in very subdued and intimate tones. There was rarely a problem shooting after that. Now I do portraits occasionally as part of the nude shoots I do. I learned that if they are handled quickly and naturally the results are much better than if you make a fuss about it. For instance the two approaches are: 1) Announce you are going to do a portrait and give lots of instructions. This is the wrong approach. 2) Don't mention portraits. If need be, quietly switch to a longer lens and just get the picture without saying anything about what you are doing. This is the right way.</p>

<p>I have found that going in with a few poses, good or bad, helps. The subject (model) gets a sense that you have some idea that you know what you want. They are then more open to trying things and making suggestions on their own. If a model, especially ones with some experience, has something they want to try I'll go with it and mold it into something that works better for me even if I know some of the frames will not be useful. I also find myself giving plenty of feedback.</p>

<p>First you got to have some poses in mind. The worst thing you can do is to NOT know how to pose your model. Professional models know how to pose, so you wont have much of a problem with them, (well not much anyway), but the average person, does not have this skill. <br>

Some don't even know how to smile infront of the camera. I would memorize a few simple poses, then work your way up from that. You can buy an expensive posing book or, you leaf through the magazine rack at your local drug store to get some ideas. <br>

The thing is, you got to show allot of confidence like you know what you are doing(even if you don't). You don't have to be an army General, but you sort of have to take control. Any fiddling around with equipment, losing control, such as asking the model "what do you want do ?" will blow you away.<br>

Try playing some music maybe that might relax them. Ask questions about them while you are shooting, like you are conducting an interview. Remember most peple are interested in themselves not you, or your equipment.<br>

If you can't get in on with your own daughter then you might need some serious practice...</p>

<p>All great suggestions, but I definitely agree with planning the shoot and shooting the plan. This includes having your gear set-up prior to the shoot. Knowing your gear will be one less variable to be concerned with. As for posing ideas look through magazines and books for posing tips; I have a binder with tearouts of poses to try. Keep in mind there are no "one pose fits all" poses. Music is a great mood setter if it fits the mood of the photo you're trying to create. Even if the shoot will be short, plan on providing light refreshments...it's good hospitality! :D<br>

Have fun,<br>

Jesse</p>

<p>Tom, I can totally relate with you onthis one. This past weekend I shot what was basically my first group shot. It was my friend and his two brothers, and the '57 Bel Air they had restored for a client. First words out of their mouth were 'Okay, what do we do?' To which all I could reply was 'Uhhhhhh...'<br>

I definitely didn't have something in mind before the shoot. I think towards the end of it, I started getting more comfortable giving direction, and I'd definitely want another go at it. Based on that experience and the suggestions in this thread, I think the next time I'm in that situation I'll be better off.</p>

<p>Hey Tom. I totally agree with most of what has been said above.<br>

Be prepared, be confident (or at least fake it). You might also show them a few examples of images from magazines etc to establish ideas and work from there. Compliment your subjects and reassure them of how well they are doing during the shoot. And also it really doesn't hurt to have a few funny things to say to break the ice. Oh yes and Jesse is 110% correct about light refreshments. Cool drinks in summer and warm in winter at the very least.<br>

Regards.</p>

<p>Rick.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Know poses, have music, know your equipment.<br>

HAVE SOME ICE BREAKER...<br>

There were several forms of ice breaker here, for me, often it is to shoot a flurry of shots, using a continuous light source in just a few minutes.<br>

Then show the model/client the shots which are coming out great. <br>

Once they see they are looking great in some pictures, their confidence builds and the shoot gets easier and more productive from there.<br>

To learn how to pose a model, there are many sources like free posing instructional videos on the web here: <a href="http://glamourphotography.co/?p=653">http://glamourphotography.co/?p=653</a></p>