which film slr should i buy??

<p>hi all,im new to the site(and photography) and could do with some advice.<br>

im starting a photography course this september and i need to get a film slr for the 1st part of the course.<br>

i was thinking about something from the canon EOS range as i was told i should be able to use any EF lenses i get with the camera with my current canon EOS 400D...<br>

is this true and which model should i go for? i haven`t much money but have seen some very cheap film SLR`S on ebay,some complete with a lense or two.<br>

any help with this would be great.<br>

thanks,dave</p>

<p>Find out what the course requirements are or suggestions from the instructor are first. You have a ton of potential choices, but something other than Canon might be better suited to the requirements of the course.</p>

<p>It looks like the Eos1-n cost 200 dollars used on ebay<br>

http://cgi.ebay.de/CANON-EOS-1N-FILM-BODY-SLR-USED_W0QQitemZ200359391401QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item2<br>

The older Eos 1 might be somewhat cheaper maybe 160. Nice camera.<br>

I prefer the light version, not the big one with big battery, because of the weight.<br>

They seldom sell it with lenses.<br>

I think mr. Cahn advises nice cameras, but personally I think Canon is nicer for people who already have Canon for digitalwork. I did have the Eos 5 too, it worked for well me, but it is not close to the Eos 1 cameras in quality.</p>

<p>David. Do not buy Nikon FM3.<br>

There are no very good reasons for a Canon Eos 400d user to buy a non-Canon camera for using film. Canon made lots of nice Cameras for film that can use the Canon EF lenses. Nikon and Leica never made Canon Ef-supporting cameras. You do not need to spend money on two lens-systems. The most important thing to remember when buying yor Canon film-slr. It must be an Eos, and the lenses must be Canon EF. <br>

If you forget the Canon -lenses, you can use Rf-compacts like the Canonet gIII ql-17, or something in the pocket , like Olympus xa-2 or Olympus mju 2. <br>

The least expensive Canon-lens is the Canon Ef 50 1:1.8. Standard on the Eos 1-n, and nice for portraits on the Eos 400d.</p>

<p>Consider whether you want (or need for the course) autofocus and auto exposure. Cameras went through a lot of evolution before the typical sensing medium changed to digital, so there is a huge difference between using earlier film cameras vs. later ones. Ask your instructor.</p>

<p>Once you answer this question then you can start thinking about makes and models.</p>

<p>A very good photographer told me that Canon Eos 620 or 650 (not sure which) is a very good camera. Sounds like a low-cost high-end solution. And forget about the rf and pocketcameras I mentioned for now, for your class slr is probably best.<br>

I saw this on ebay.<br>

http://cgi.ebay.de/CANON-EOS-620-SLR-FILM-CAMERA-W-35-70MM-F3-5-4-5-LENS_W0QQitemZ130315170378QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item1e5763b24a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A3|66%3A4|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A200</p>

<p>Not so long ago photo course instructors wanted their students to have manual focus, manual exposure (preferably all mechanical) SLRs. This meant cameras such as the Pentax K1000, Minolta SRT series, Nikon FM (or Nikkormat FT2 or so if on a budget), Canon FTb, etc. Later, as these models were discontinued, instructors recommended later mechanical cameras such as the Ricoh KRII, Yashica FX-3 Super 2000, and various K-mount Vivitar SLRs. With such few of those cameras available (at least new ones, anyway), maybe course requirements have been changed to reflect what's available. Do check with your instructor. If AF and autoexposure are OK, then several of the EOS models listed would be good choices.</p>

<p>On my Eos 1-n you can choose auto-exposure , autofocus or full manual control. It is built to be very fast and easy to operate manually. In my opinion the Eos 1n is one of the best cameras ever made for manual photography. Most automatic slr-cameras are manually controlable. All high-end Slr-cameras are very good buildt for full manually controlled work. The Eos-cameras need batteries to move the shutter. If the shutter is controlled by a mechanical or electronic timer has no relevans for learning photography. There is no difference in the use.</p>

<p>If a Canon EOS 1n is really $200 I'd jump on it. It was the AF film body which ruled for most of the 1990's. If that is too expensive you might look for an EOS 3 -- I used one for several years before switching to digital -- or an EOS Elan II/IIE, which I also used for several years, initially as a primary body and then as a backup for the EOS 3. Canon also made a manual EOS mount camera (I can't remember the model "T" or something like that?) which did not have AF and AE.<br>

Then there is always the classic "beginner's" camera, the Pentax K1000. This camera uses the old Pentax screw mount "Takamur" lenses which were (and are) excellent. It is all manual with a decent center weighted meter and lots of lenses are available on the used market as this lens mount was very popular for a long time. The body was cheap new, so it should be cheap used.</p>

<p>Small update: The Pentax K1000 uses bayonet K-mount lenses. You can use Takumar lenses with them, provided you add an inexpensive M42 adapter. K1000 body only in good condition will be at about $200, unit price. </p>

<p>I would really almost suggest asking around and seeing if you can borrow equipment from family or friends if you want to have something on hand for the first day of class. There are a surprising number of cameras sitting out there, unused in a closet somewhere.</p>

<p>+1 for find out what the instructor requires. Chances are it will be "any" 35mm SLR, but you never know.</p>

<p>A very inexpensive, and very capable, Canon film camera body was the EOS A2 or A2E. It was the semi-pro model below the famous EOS 1N and offers most of its features, as well as lighter weight, almost silent operation and a built-in red focus-assist lamp for low light (most bodies require you to add a flash for this feature).<br>

Also, a built-in flash.<br>

The A2E has eye-controlled focus point selection. Some people didn't find this useful; I used it all the time.<br>

You can buy a used A2 at KEH for $39. They offer a no-questions return and, I believe, a brief warranty.<br>

If you want to spend more like $200, get a used EOS 3. Top of the line film technology in a tough light body.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Be careful if you choose EOS 1(N) or 3, after that your 400D may feel a bit... well... ;)<br>

Elan II/IIE are good middle ground tools and very cheap. I wouldn't buy anything lesser now.</p>

<p>Basically any film slr will do but stay with Canon EOS as you can borrow lenses and accessories from the school, easily use the camera even in studio if you want / need to and your teachers know Canon gear.<br>

If you happen to still like film shooting after a course or two then go ahead and buy old manual focus Nikon or Pentax (or even Leica), great cameras and joy to use. Shooting with EOS film slrs isn't very different from digital (not at all really) but these oldies are a different experience.</p>

<p>Lenses. It doesn't matter that much for an intro course but the kit lens EF 28-90/4-5.6 is rather painful plastic horror and same goes for most of its older variants like 35-80/4-5.6. Look into (used) 50/1.8, 35/2 and 28/2.8 which are inexpensive and work great on film and digital. 35mm b&w loses nothing against 400D when you use good lenses and get hang of the processing and printing. Forget those soft and overly contrasty minilab 4x6s as "film look" and get to work. Happy shooting. :)</p>

<p>Somebody in this thread seems to be gonzo against Nikons and worships at the feet of Canon. Therefore I would go for a Yashica Super 2000. Super cheap and reliable and takes Contax-Zeiss glass.</p>

kivis

Cameras, lenses, and fotos

<p>thanks everyone for the very quick replies.there`s alot of info here for me to go through but i think i`ve made up my mind...<br>

Erlend i think your idea makes the most sense,there`s no point in buying anything other than a canon EOS. If i buy a nikon or anything else it would be money wasted.The course last 2 years but only the 1st year requires the film SLR for B&W photography only so after that the camera would only be lying on a shelf collecting dust.<br>

If i go for a canon 650 or such like i can make good use any lenses long after the course is finished(unless i can afford to fork out on a new camera that is lol) </p>

<p>thanks again everyone for the help and a freindly welcome to the site.<br>

cheers,dave</p>

<p>I would recommend Nikon FM2. I have had this camera since 1984. It is the workhorse of the industry. It is a fully manual camera. It does not need a battery to operate (except for the light meter), so it won't die as easily as those cameras that require battery power for operation. I have taken the camera to fairly extreme weather conditions. I recently have taken it to the shop for replacing the film pressure plate and have not required any thing else other than every once in a while of just cleaning.</p>

<p>I usually stay out of "this vs. that" threads but...</p>

<p>As a Nikonista myself, I agree with David's preference to stay with Canon. He already uses a Canon dSLR. It just makes sense to stick with a Canon 35mm SLR that maintains compatibility with any lenses he owns or plans to buy.</p>

<p>Also, having checked used prices yesterday, it's apparent that top notch Canon 35mm SLRs are a better buy right now than equivalent Nikons. The EOS 1-series, EOS A2, EOS 3 and Elan IIe are all better buys on the used market than equivalent Nikon models. I was surprised to see this, but it appears to be consistent throughout the U.S. The most comparable Nikons are all a little more expensive used: F5, F100, etc. Even the Nikon N6006 is priced higher than I would have expected, a good camera but with a serious flaw - a plastic film door latch that breaks easily. The Canon Elan IIe is a much better buy and more sophisticated camera. If I was starting from scratch with a tight budget and no previous brand affiliation, I'd have to consider the EOS 1n or EOS 3. Canon's high end 35mm AF SLRs are the best buy now, offering an attractive price advantage compared with the F5 and F100.</p>

<p>However, if your course requires an all-manual camera - manual exposure and focus - the field is wide open. I'd recommend the following in order of preference based on regional prices and availability (I'm in Texas):</p>

<ol>

<li>Canon FD, by far the most prevalent used and very affordable with lots of bodies and lenses readily available in pawn shops and other used outlets.</li>

<li>Minolta and Pentax K-mount, a tossup in terms of availability and price.</li>

<li>Olympus, generally affordable and very good. The OM-1 and OM-2N models are good buys. </li>

<li>Nikon, the least commonly seen of the major Japanese brands and highest priced in terms of what I observe in pawn shops and other used outlets. Nikon 35mm gear still tends to be regarded as "professional" and is priced higher than comparable equipment from other brands.</li>

</ol>

<blockquote>

<p>If i go for a canon 650 or such like</p>

</blockquote>

<p>When it comes to AF cameras I'd rather take something from the mid-nineties at least. Prices are so low that you don't save anything by going with oldest possible EOS cameras.</p>