Opening a studio, all opinion needed, please! Thanks!

<p>Hello guys, I am lucky enough to be given some money from a family to open a studio, and I would like to ask a few questions as part of my perparation. All opinion welcome. Thank you<br>

1. What kind of service would you be expecting when renting a studio?<br>

2. The place we have looked at and really like has everything a decent and posh studio needs - a big shooting space, very high ceiling, separate make up area, separate resting area, separate kitchenette etc. <strong>The only issue is, it is on the 4th floor with no lift, because it's in a former school, will that put you off from using it if everything else is at top quality?</strong><br>

3. For photographers using a lot of set build or furnitures, if the studio provides dog bodies to carry your stuff for you free of charge, will that compensate the inconvence of the stairs? The stairs are wide enought for most stuff I can think off, apart from if you were shooting cars, then...<br>

4.I will be living at the studio too, so anyone has expeience with running a business at a live/work space?<br>

All other opinion and advice welcome.<br>

Thank you very very much.<br>

PY</p>

<p>I did a family once, 5 or 6 generations. The oldest were a man and wife, 104 and 98 years old. Four flights of stairs? I think the four steps in front of the studio was a bit much. MPW just added a ramp last year.</p>

<p>I'm picturing carrying a baby up four flights. Or herding a couple of 2 year olds. Even adults are going to arrive flushed and out of breath.</p>

<p>I do more product than people. Next studio is going to be totally at ground level, and have an exterior access garage door.</p>

<p>Let me take your questions one at a time.<br>

1. the option or reccomendation for caterers, or some type of suppliers of refreshments. I will need to keep the crew fed and refreshed if there for more than a couple of hours. The rest it seems you have covered.<br>

2. You're on the 4th floor with no lift? Next studion option please! Unless you have something very unique that I want/need to shoot in, I'm not using you.<br>

3. No because it takes time to schlep all that stuff up 4 flights and I have to pay my crew by the hour.<br>

4. Keep in mind of you are living in the studio you have other insurance issues as well as zoning problems. Make sure that you a legally able to live in or adjacent to the studio.<br>

5. Adopt me? I wish my family would front me a studio! Hell they think me being a pro shooter is a waste of time and talent. If they would bankroll me, I would find a unique space in the local city, one that no one else can match (if possible) and make sure it has a lift that can support anything shy of a Mack truck.</p>

<p>What on earth do you want to photograph in your "posh" studio?<br>

Who knows you exist? Why would the phone ring? How many clients do you have now that wish you were in a studio? Have you worked for a photographer with a studio?</p>

<p>Unless you have a business that is growing to a point that a studio is necessary to get to "the next level" you are describing a particularly efficient way to turn good money into a memory.</p>

<p>"What on earth do you want to photograph in your "posh" studio?"</p>

<p>Mark is right, if the custmomers are not there then that space and equipment could be put to better use. As far as living in your studio, I set up a room in my home that I can quickly convert to a studio. Speaking for myself, I mostly plan to shoot weddings and on location portraits, but when the weather does not cooperate, or when shooting on location would not be very convenient, it is nice to have a standby. I also plan to do some small-product photography/copy work for my clients, but I don't think a full blown studio is neccesary for that.<br>

<br />In any case, if you plan to live there, I would definately include all the major appliences such as a refrigerator , kitchen stove, bathrooms, closets etc. For a bed, I would consider one of these <a href="http://www.amazon.com/BLACK-METAL-FUTON-SOFA-FRAME/dp/B000NZH7UI">http://www.amazon.com/BLACK-METAL-FUTON-SOFA-FRAME/dp/B000NZH7UI</a> but you can get something way more professional looking if you are willing to pay for it. For TV, Stereo and Computer equipment I would put everything on roll-away carts. That way you can move stuff around quickly and easily. <a href="http://www.avcarts.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=LX1203&refid=XT73-LX1203">http://www.avcarts.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=LX1203&refid=XT73-LX1203</a><br>

<br />The biggest problem is trying to get people to come to your studio. The best location in my opinion would be in a semi-urban area with plenty of traffic where people could actually see a store-front. Unfortunatelly that's not allways possible. You might have to start small and hope your reputation grows enough to bring in some traffic. The four flights of stairs might be a turn-off especially for people who have kids, or the elderly one of the greatest sources of income when it comes to portraits. Good Luck !</p>

<p>Stairs, no-no.</p>

<p>Locate and keep an up to date list of studios for rent. Visiting and using other studios will give you first hand knowledge of how to set up your own. </p>

<p>If doing corporate work, use their spaces if such exists.</p>

<p>In a pinch, if you have the gear, you can rent a large space at a local hotel (most off-site video interviews are done using hotel spaces). Check their prices, you might be surprised in this economy.</p>

<p>I would invest in gear and portability. You'll get more access and contracts if your not tied down to a 30x30 concrete slab.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>What does your accountant say? Is this something you should pursue with a different location. If you don't have one, you seriously need one. You apparently have enough money to rent or buy a studio, so you need a plan and non of us here on the forum are money managers by profession.<br>

This one with the stairs is a huge mistake, plus I'm not sure where you are, but in the USA, it's probably not up to code to have a 4 story walk-up.<br>

Aside from the inconvenience and the lack of access to the elderly and handicapped, I can't imaging that there is any exposure. If you're going to pay for space, go for something with walk-in traffic. Best of luck....-Aimee</p>

<p>PY, I recently opened my own small studio so I'm looking at this somewhat from your perspective. I had no cash influx, no loans, only the money in my pocket. When I say my studio is small, I mean it is 15'x10'. Sometimes I stand outside the door to shoot. But it was an available space in front of a busy hair salon, they waived the first months rent since I did all of the work myself. And if you saw the before and after photos you would understand the "work" part. The salon and I share a foyer that has doors to our separate businesses. Therefore, I have visual access to all of their foot traffic. And lucky for me, the whole front of my area is windows so I get great natural light. Yes, I have to move things around when I shoot inside, but the space is affordable and it does work. These are just things to consider for your first studio. Sometimes the extras aren't really essential.</p>

<p>Absolutely no steps for me, there are clients of all ages to consider. And as others mentioned, I don't know any parent that is going to want to haul a child and all of their ensuing gear up four flights of stairs. Not having a lift would be a definite deal-breaker for me.</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>