Lacie harddisk and Canon 1Ds

<p>Dear forum members.<br>

I have an Canon 1Ds camera and recently purchased a Lacie rugged harddisk, with the plan to use it directly on my camera's Firewire port.<br>

This way when I shoot I have photo's on the harddisk as well as on the memmory card. Instant backup and I can take the harddisk to the desktop pc or labtop and work on them or show the photos to the client.<br>

Does anyone know if this is possable, or do I need to connect the camera to a labtop and the harddisk to the same labtop?<br>

Thanks in advance, Erwin</p>

<p>However the Wi-Fi unit is way more expensive than a laptop! And far less available.</p>

<p>Shoot tethered to a laptop. It's easy, and it works reliably. I use Breeze Systems DSLR Capture Pro to shoot tethered from my 50D to my Dell laptop. It takes 4 seconds for the picture to appear on the laptop.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>However, if shooting tethered is one's thing, after the very first time one trips over the USB cable and knocks down one's $8000 (plus lens) camera or one's laptop, one tends to rather quickly run to one's purveyor of all things photographic and purchase the Wi-Fi module :-)<br>

Not to mention that elevated shooting (camera on a stick over a crowd...) is way easier with the Wi-Fi module and a $300 notebook 'puter than with a USB cable attached to said 'puter.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>'puter?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>eewww, that's <em>ugly</em> !<br>

However, this thread is just twitching with goodies. I especially like "labtop" ;)</p>

<p>Isn't it more usual to research whether the HD will work with the setup you have <em>before</em> you buy it?</p>

<p>Isn't it more usual to research whether the HD will work with the setup you have <em>before</em> you buy it?<br>

Good question.<br>

I asked and the lady at the camera store told me it can. But I don't see any info or instructions, although the suplied firewire cable will plug in both the camera and harddisk. But I don't want to blow up the camera just becouse the store lady told me so, maybe becouse she wanted to be sure I bought it.<br>

Sorry for any typo's, I am origanly from The Netherlands and English is my second language.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Why backup directly to an externa Laciel hardrive when back it up directly to a cheap and light laptop/netbook?<br>

That external hardrive will draw power anyways so it either needs it own supply or sap power from the USB connection.<br>

If you want to back up real-time, photo by photo you could consider using a PUB box from homebrewusb.com. With the proper software, in addition to the copy stored on the on-board memory card, I believe it will download the photo to your PC. It's faster than wi-fi, with up to 100Mbps data rate, but connection range is limited to about 10 feet.<br>

Danny</p>

<p> </p>