Photo.net Identity Card

<p>At one time we had them. We had T-shirts and baseball caps. At the time (4 or 5 years ago?) they were a resounding flop. Far too much effort involved for little (if any) gain and not many sales. Much more trouble than it was worth.</p>

<p>An ID card is an awful idea I'm afraid. It would mean nothing (except possible potential headaches for photo.net).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>At one time we had them. We had T-shirts and baseball caps. At the time (4 or 5 years ago?) they were a resounding flop. Far too much effort involved for little (if any) gain and not many sales. Much more trouble than it was worth.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>To be fair, they were also boring designs with no style other than our logo. I think we could do better if we ever looked into it again (like the vivafilm logo). I've thought about it, but I've simply got too much else to do around here at the moment.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Whenever I get stopped by the police for taking pictures in the schoolyard I always mention PN and give the officer Josh's email address.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't advise doing that. They'd probably just say "oh, you're that dick who runs photo.net? You deleted one of my posts, enjoy this taser".</p>

<p>"enjoy this taser...." <br>

6 by 6 Why are there never any photos when you need them?</p>

<p>As far as special ID cards, imprinted T-shirts or tattoos with special numbers -- I don't see them ever acting as a lingua franca for instant permissions to do anything, anyway.</p>

<p>/..</p>

<p>I can understand Josh's position in not wanting to open photo.net to liability and I have to disagree with those who think it wouldn't do so. Lawyers will go after anyone or anything even remotely connected to any company or organization because it means even more pockets to pick.<br>

Beyond that, for those of us in the United States, at least, I have this to say: "This isn't Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union!" People don't need "credentials" to exercise their constitutional rights. Photographers setting themselves apart from the general public may think they're doing themselves a favor but it only serves to divide and conquer. Moreover, if one jurisdiction or another even recognized such credentials you have to realize that every such recognition comes with a price, which most often is more than you want to pay.</p>

<p>A real terrorist can join Photo.net with the express purpose of getting such an ID and then go about taking pictures of places he/she would like to target. No law enforcement agency can accept such an id. This is a hare-brained idea.</p>