Shooting film ...?

Farkle-Mpls

<p>I shoot with a 1D11, a 1ds11, 1V film and pentax 6x7. The 6x7 gives me the best satisfaction and the prettiest color.(I only shoot E-6 transparancies on film.) I take the film to Walmart. They send E-6 to a Fuji lab that does excellent work at reasonable prices. Unfortunately, just about all the magazines i deal with want strictly digital now, so my slides are shot primarily for my own satisfaction. I find digital too time consuming to store and too hard to retrieve. I can file my slides alphabetically by location or subject in 3 ring binders and find them in only minutes. I transfer the digital files to CD's/DVD's and log them by subject, but finding the exact photo from within hundreds of discs is a nightmare.</p>

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Often times when I can take my time and shoot nature stuff, I take my film camera with me; I shoot the same scene with both camera types. Not so sure I'll do this much anymore because 98% of the time, the DSLR is as good, and usually better than the 35mm shot. Once quality DSLRs surpassed 6MP they became much better tools than 35mm.</p>

<p>Plus, the 35mm takes time to drop off and process, and later scan! ACK! I'll still do it but it sure gets to be a *hassle* anymore. </p>

<p>Shear nostaligia is why I still have new Ektar 100 in my fridge.</p>

<p>If you want the pictures in digital format for a computer film becomes a hassle<br /> <br /> You will have to scan your slides. You then end up with the quality of your film scanners sensor and program settins, not film quality. Film scanning is a slow tedious process. You have to remove dust from the scans, adjust white balance, color balance, as you post process each image. <br /> <br /> Using a digital camera is much easier if you want the data in digital format for a computer. I believe the 5D is very "film like" due to the full frame sensor. The images remind me of shooting slide film.<br /> <br /> I use Proshow Gold (www.photodex.com) to make slide shows of digital images. You can even add music, or voice over from audio files. The website has an eval copy of the software.</p>

<p>I too still love to shoot film, like it more than my DSLR for many things. Especially landscapes and scenic shots. Not only do I love the the look of film, I love using my film gear. Contax N1, Dynax 7, and Contax 645 are a joy to use.<br>

But, I have come to love my high end digital point and shoot - so I always throw that in my pocket to get a digital back up. I review my shots laying in bed back at camp/the hotel, and have something for a quick upload to Flickr.<br>

Personally, I'd take a film camera with you and a 20 pack of slide film.</p>

<p>I now only shoot film (Leicas) for "artsy" type photos. My wife and I love to travel but I only take digital (Canon) on a flying trip because film is such a concern and hassle for temperature and security x-rays. We go to "once in a lifetime" places and I want to be sure I've gotten the pictures I'm happy with. That means seeing the image on the back of the camera immediately after the shot, and checking for dust after downloading the cards every night onto a portable drive. In the States, flying and renting a car, I'm okay with taking two digital bodies, two or three lenses, and a laptop as I know I can spread out at the motel. Anywhere else, Europe for instance with tight schedules and narrow trains, trolleys, hotels, I pare my equipment down to a 5Dii and 17-40L. (I'm thinking about adding a 70-200 f4 but I really don't want to switch lenses because of the dust problem.) That's still two or three times (and f-stops) the size of my IIIg/35 Cron ASPH, but on trips to places I'll probably never be again I've got that peace of mind I need and have become used to shooting digital.</p>

<p>Definitely take the 40D. If you can manage the extra weight, take the film camera, too. Sometimes digital looks better, and sometimes film looks better. It's all part of the mystery of photography. Plus, if your digital sensor gets dirty, you'll still have some perfectly clean film shots.</p>

<p>In practice I shoot many more digital shots than film shots. I experiment with the "free" digital format, and when something is working well and the light it right, I'll jump in with some film exposures.</p>

<p>Film is its own reward. A slide on a light table is a complete and beautiful piece of art unto itself. A file from a digital camera is a bunch of data that you need a program to translate and manipulate. The problem with film, though, is printing. Scanning is ridiculously tedious and/or expensive. Somebody needs to invent a scanner that just works. Maybe Steve Jobs should develop the "iScan" so we can all scan happily ever after. :-)</p>

<p>I shoot film when digital isn't up to the task. There are two factors that decide the matter for me, kit size and resolution. Traveling, I like a small kit and this often means I take a 35mm rangefinder with 3 lenses, usually f2 or faster if flash may not be an option. Battery dependence is minimized and the Domke F-5xb is so nice to carry compared to an Domke F-2 or just about anything. There is the Leica M8/8.2, but even at used prices, I'm not ready to drop so much coin. <br /> However, with decent color processing getting more scarce, I'm carrying a Canon XSi with the smallish and light Tamron 17-50/2.8 more and more these days in the Domke F-5xb. I lose some lens speed, add battery charging to my routine and there's a different look, but I generally gain some ISO and I can make it work.<br /> On the other hand, there are times I want to print big and since there's yet no real replacement for displacement, I often go 4x5. I can capture in one shot what I'd have to stitch together from 6 or more DSLR shots. But that kit is big, the number of captures is limited, and color processing can get comparatively costly. Thus, relegating the 4x5 to car trips and dedicated photo outings, but 4x5 slides are seriously lovely.<br /> However, between an SLR with slide film and a DSLR with 8mp or more, the DSLR would do it for me. The kit size is the same and a DSLR offers at ISO 400 what most slide film delivers at 100. Fuji 400X is great but pricey. And not being Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now, carrying one camera is enough for me.</p>

<p>I have a great digital system and two great film systems, and I generally prefer film. However, the hassle of air travel overseas with a film camera will have me leaving my film cameras behind -- it's just not worth the hassle and the threat of degraded film.</p>

<p>Like a few shooters here, I started shooting/processing film at age 10 (almost 50 years ago) and enjoy shooting digital (D5) for the last 6 years. I always travel with no less than 2 film bodies (if not more) to be able to use all kinds of film. KPR my overall fav. I always tend to match subject matter with the type of film. Digital allows to manipulate the capture, close to all films. However, I still shoot film when I do dark scenes and I know would love to make large cibachrome type prints. In fact, I carry often a Leica point shoot (film) and I process my film in no more than 2 weeks. Yes, scanning is another process, time consuming and not always satisfactory, but regardless of what people may say, digital still can't beat film. My Century camera (120 6x9) still is a part of my shooting (commercial and personal) and more often than not, I carry it when traveling coupled to a single Schneider Super Angulon (1:8 65mm) next to my DSLR. A pun on the shoulder and "where can keep my equipment safe?" when traveling but worth all efforts. In my view, that's a no brainer. Good question though!</p>

<p>I always take both. Now there is another alternative, that is to take a very good film camera (like the EOS 1V) and a good point-and-shoot digital just for snap shots. That way you can save some camera bag space.<br>

For example if I don't want to carry my M7 and M8 I just take M7 and a dlux-4.</p>

<p>Since I got my EOS 1v and Mamiya RZ67 and scan with a Nikon coolscan 9000 I us my 5D less and less. if you know your stuff you don't need the screen on the back as a crutch :-) I shot pictures last year with the 5D which I would love to have on negatives the digital stuff is fantastic on screen but once your prints go over 30x20cm the negatives show there class. Take both.</p>

<p>I have Canon 5D and lot of gear, but I don't use it much.<br />Next month I am going on vacations to NY and I am taking film exclusively. Contax G2 and maybe Hasselblad 500. I don't like about digital the instant thing, and the free shot thing. What I like about film is the process... <br />Take the camera you like best...</p>

<p>Diego.</p>

<p>I can't see myself shooting 35mm film ever again, now that I've been working in digital. On the other hand, I love shooting 120 film and have no plans to quit anytime soon. I like having both options, as they both serve their own purposes very well. 35mm has always been a format of convenience, speed and work for me so I have no problem going digital because it is convenient, fast, and pretty much the only viable option these days for my work (journalism). Medium format is and has been a pleasure for me because it's not convenient, it's not particularly fast, and I'm not doing it for work!</p>

<p>Bring both if you have the room. Personally, I would just bring the digital, but if you really just want to shoot some film, then there's no reason why you can't do that. We're lucky to have so many options these days!</p>

<p><!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } --><br>

Europe is old, so is film. Take the film camera. For most people a trip to Europe would be a once in a life time opportunity. At least for me, living in Hawaii it would be. In my opinion negatives make better archives, and this trip is something that you are going to want to remember for the rest of your life. Aloha </p>

<blockquote>

<p>But the glow of the light through a good image on a good monitor is also a "complete and beautiful piece of art unot itself" - and it's bigger too. ;)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I would suggest that the image on the monitor is an interpretation of data by several pieces of hardware and software working simultaneously. If you take that image to someone else's computer it will look different. Take your slide to someone else's light table, and it will look the same as it did at your place.</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>I use my 1V, take the film to walgreens that does a lot of film developing near my house, ask for a developing and cd, no prints. The CD saves me the trouble of scanning, cost $5.14 for 36 shots. I like the look of Portra on portraits and Ektar 100 colors for landscapes. But don't do that too often as Digital is cheaper.</p>

<p>I have read opinions on both sides of the aisle. Here is my take:<br>

A vacation is supposed to be relaxing. So, if you find that the contemplative aspect of film is fullfilling and relaxing take film. If it is more important to record the most images possible in the alloted time use the 40D.<br>

Personally I would take both digital and film cameras. For certain images I may study the scene with digital and use that to decide when, and if, I should return with my EOS3. But I don't mind lugging around a ton o' stuff and I have no wife to stand around impatiently while I compose a shot and wait for the 'perfect' moment (some day I will actually nail that 'perfect moment' too!).</p>

<p>Being in a similar situation, I asked myself the same question (http://www.photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00TRG7). I t was Leica M4 vs Nikon D700... and eventually took two film cameras (teh Leica and a 6x7, the latter one just for a wedding) and a digital point and shoot. Shot Ektar 100, TMAX, some Provia, but ended up using the P&S a lot (~ 700 exposures). If I did it again, well, depending on where I'd go, a compact digital would be most 'allround'... whetever you chose, have fun on vacation......</p>

<p>I'd take them both, and use them both; the 1V for the primary camera and the shots that matter and that I actually might print, and the 40D for "fun" shots that will be best in digital format, and probably will never be printed. If not, sell the 1V to me or someone who has no qualms about using it. Don't let one of the best cameras ever made just sit and do nothing (and this is beside the fact that it outdoes a 40D as far as "build quality" and "functionality" goes). Aside from storage space, just treat it any other time you would shoot. If you are used to shooting both, and comfortable doing so, then do the same on your trip. Camera bodies don't take up much space in luggage.</p>

<p>DO remember to carry on the 1V and your film, however. Do not check your film. It can be scanned without damage by carryon scanners, but checked baggage scanners will damage the film.</p>

<p>Also, do not use your digital histogram as an exposure meter. You'll get better exposures by exposing each medium slightly differently. I am sure you know that already, though.</p>

<p>FWIW, digital is a secondary medium for me. I like it, and it is useful, but not for most things in my life...basically only when 1. there never need to be any "decent" prints made (lithographic or photographic), such as the aforementioned "fun pix", or web-only applications 2. I need to finish something really quickly, 3. I don't give a rat's ass about the pix (shooting for money, in other words).</p>

<p>At work, where I shoot 95% of my digital pix, numbers 1, 2, and 3 apply.</p>

<p>I'm planning on my next trip just to slip a capped film body along with a couple of rolls of Velvia in with the digital equipment. Since Nikon still uses the same mount, except for DX lenses, all of my lenses are backwards compatible.</p>

<p>I don't know if the same is true of Canon in this regards.</p>

<p>Much as I love digital, I too miss slide. For general use I find 35mm a little too grainy, but I've picked up 645 equipment and am shooting Velvia regularly now. It's too heavy to really travel with though, so I'll live with 35mm. In all honesty, I can only name a handful of non-people shots with digital that I like to the same degree as my many slide shots (35mm or otherwise).</p>