Non Photo Enthusiast Family

<blockquote>

<p>Wait until your at a show and someone ask you " did you take all these pictures" or have family members say "you take good pictures because of the expensive camera you own."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I did not say the world lacks that kind of people. I was just saying that perhaps we interpret that way comments that in fact have a more sensible meaning. After all, we all claim that equipment does not count, but we do not really believe it, otherwise we would not be so obsessed by it. As much as we say that "a good photographer could get a good photo with any camera", we are much less convinced that WE could do the same. So we get too sensitive.<br>

The reality is, I could not get good photos easily with any camera. OK, I cannot get good photos EASILIY at all, for this matter. I have only extensively used Nikon AF SLR and DSLR. It is what I'm used to. I'm slow in manual focusing. I'm used to current Nikon ergonomics, and to Nikon metering. I'm used to having shot info in the viewfinder. Give me a FM2, with no AF, no viewfinder info, only semispot meter (I never got used to semispot), and everything in different places from where I'm used, and sure I woud find it difficult to use for a good while. It is true that this has more to do with "being familiar with" than with how much the camera costs.</p>

<p>L.</p>

<p>I say often "Well, the lens is what matters, the body is 'throwaway.'" (life's too short for slow glass)<br>

Happened just two days ago in a loud, croswded bar. "And yeah, does that camera have a lot of megapixels?" [i get so bored but try to smile]</p>

<div>00Tf5M-144463784.jpg.113ba7fc4d53d534059b2740074efde5.jpg</div>

<p>We're such hypocrites! We beat our chests bragging about our D700s and 5Ds. How you gotta have the large sensor for low noise, and shallow dof, and fast auto focus to catch the action, and whatever else we tell ourselves to justify spending $2500 on a camera. </p>

<p>But then someone else confirms that you must have a nice camera to get that shot ... we say " what do ya mean?, it's all me".</p>

Thomas, you may have a point. At one time one would say, "All the camera does is hold the lens and film; the rest is up to the photographer." Today's cameras sure do a lot more than just hold the lens and sensor. Just look at the size of the operator's manuals that come with them.
James G. Dainis

<p>Hi all, this is my first post, and i have to say that so far (in some 30 odd years of taking photos) i only get comments on <strong>what</strong> i'm photographing, not the camera!<br>

For example, "why are you taking photos of rocks?" "is there a possum or something in that rubbish bin?" "i don't think that tap is smiling..." etc. Probably because i am mainly a macro photographer i guess. (In case that's not clear by the above comments). My film camera set up (Olympus OM10; Tamron 38-70mm lens and twin flash) was nicknamed "the Tashmahal" by my family lol!<br>

I have only recently made the move to digital, and i'm loving it! I bought an Olympus E520 and if anyone one did comment, i have to say i'd tell them what it is and "knock yourself out" as mark suggests! Hope this post wasn't too far off-topic.<br>

I have been avidly reading the varous forums and i just couldn't hang back any more!<br>

Cheers, Anthea (Australia)</p><div>00Tfaw-144733684.jpg.2b20dd65618f7611cdadd005420fe194.jpg</div>

<p>I once took a very nice picture of a friend with his daughter, had it framed and gave it to him for his birthday, the comment I got from his wife was "that is a very good camera". That was about 4 years ago, the picture is "front and center" in their living room, to this day I tease his wife about the comment! Just learn to giggle at the comments, otherwise you might strangle them with your "Nice camera's" strap!</p>

<p>

<p>This seems to be another "the camera does not matter" thread. I am always somewhat amazed at these threads since the evidence I see is that the camera, and lenses matter a great deal.</p>

<p>I have a whole bunch of shots taken with cameras that were not up to the task, the shutter leg was too long, or the lens was not long enough or the camera could not take photos in low light etc.<br>

<br>

I often find the opposite of what the OP finds, people will compliment me for being a good photographer because I am getting photos that they can’t, but in truth if I was using the same gear as they were I would not be able to get the shots either.<br>

<br>

This is not to say that you can’t take a great photo with a cheap camera, or that having a great camera means all your shots will be great or even good. But in many cases having a good camera is going to let you get a good photo where others with lesser gear can not.</p>

<p> </p>

</p>

When I take out my old wood Seneca 8x10 view camera, tripod and film holders, I sometimes hear, "Does that old camera still work?" I just reply, "Yes, yes it does" rather than "No. I just like to carry around all this stuff for the exercise".

Actually, I think they are intrigued and are looking for something to start a conversation. I will delve into a quick explanation of how it works, one sheet of film in the holder per exposure etc. I don't know if that is in the same league as "You must have a really nice camera" but non photo people just don't know what to say compliment wise or query wise.

James G. Dainis

<p>Hi all, this is my first post, and i have to say that so far (in some 30 odd years of taking photos) i only get comments on <strong>what</strong> i'm photographing, not the camera!<br>

For example, "why are you taking photos of rocks?" "is there a possum or something in that rubbish bin?" "i don't think that tap is smiling..." etc. Probably because i am mainly a macro photographer i guess. (In case that's not clear by the above comments). My film camera set up (Olympus OM10; Tamron 38-70mm lens and twin flash) was nicknamed "the Tashmahal" by my family lol!<br>

I have only recently made the move to digital, and i'm loving it! I bought an Olympus E520 and if anyone one did comment, i have to say i'd tell them what it is and "knock yourself out" as mark suggests! Hope this post wasn't too far off-topic.<br>

I have been avidly reading the varous forums and i just couldn't hang back any more!<br>

Cheers, Anthea (Australia)</p>

Cheers, Anthea (Australia)</p>

<p>I understand...as a new-ish photographer (ameteur) I sometimes feel frustrated by that comment too - because I feel like some of my photos were a lot of work on my part, and I want credit, dang it!<br /> :)</p>

<p>Now, I smile and say Thank you, and I find it is usually a way to break the ice into a discussion about photography. Usually the person wants to learn, and they see someone with a big camera and assume they know stuff. <br /> Sometimes that's true.</p>

<p>My grandma had the same problem. She would cook a real nice meal and baked goods and people used to say to her "You must have the best oven in the world." As if the oven had everything to do with how a meal turned out and one day I heard her say to a gent. "It's not the equipement Honey, it's what you can do with it." in her best Mae West voice. I guess, it's akin to that old saying "It's not how big it is but what you can do with it." So, when ever someone notices my camera a strike a pose and just say the words my granny used to--it usually breaks the tension...mine, and it makes me laugh and the person admiring my camera gets the message. Works for me. Lol.</p>