Making portfolio, what type of paper do i print pictures to: satin, gloss, matt, other? HELP!

miz_miah

<p>Hi all, am really stuck! i have all the pictures i'd like to print for a portfolio, but i dont know what type of paper texture to print on???????? most ordinary photos are printed in gloss, but i'm sure thats not what you use for pictures you want to use in a portfolio.. please help :(<br>

am getting frustrated with myself! xx</p>

<p>It's really a matter of personal taste. Once upon a time it was said that portfolios should be printed on gloss paper, and glazed at that - this was in the days of fibre based papers which could be glazed on a hot plate. These days I print most of my work on satin finish paper because I don't like the specular glare from gloss papers.</p>

<p>I love the "Fujicolor Professional Crystal Archive Digital Paper DP Type II Silk" paper my pro lab offers. It is perfectly suited for portraits and has a thick paper base and a fingerprint-resistant surface so it can be touched and handled without getting smudges or creases.</p>

Are you printing the portfolio for your own enjoyment or to show to display your skills to potential employers/hire-ers? Using tricks such as textured paper, for instance, to enhance your photos is not something they will appreciate. They just want to see what you can do. I usually heard the phrase "8x10 color glossies" or "I will need some glossies" when I did a bit of actor/model photo work.
James G. Dainis

<p>Hi all, i am printing pics for potential employers/clients. and i am not printing traditionally (if u mean that i am in a red room, developing them, wish i knew how to do that tho!), but rather, all pics are on my memory card n laptop. tbh, im not familiar with photography jargon also :S<br>

i was recently advised to print on satin aswell, but im not sure what the finish is like. im looking for something with value for money.</p>

<p>My current portfolio's are 8x10 glossy. I used an Olympus P440 Dye-Sub printer and then put the photos in a clear sleeved portfolio book. There like $12 bucks and protects the photos. However, I notice 8x10 doesn't give the punch I am looking for so my next portfolio will have much larger photos may 12x16 or 13 x 19. I want my next portfolio to be full of inventory i.e. photos on disply for sell. Ready to be matt and framed. I now prefer matt because I don't like the exrtra glare I get when I put glossy photos in a glass frame.</p>

• 2 months later...