Business Name Help

<p>I am in the process of planning to start my own portrait photography business and need a little help with the name. I will also potentially offer design services to other photographers for photo books, cards (invitations, announcements, etc.). The names I am considering are: Heather Culley Photography and Design, Heather Culley Photography, HC Photography and Design, HC Photography, and HC Photo and Design. <br>

Does anyone have any preferences or comments on these business names? </p>

<p> </p>

<p>i am at the exact same place as you are right now. i keep repeating names to myself trying them out over and over all day long. its hard to commit! </p>

<p>anyways, that was off topic.<br>

i'm liking heather culley photography and design.</p>

<p>: ) good luck!</p>

<p>I think you should considering doing this:<br>

1. Buy the domain name "heatherculley.com<br>

2. Set up your website with a splash page with one link that will take you to the photography site and another that will take you to the design site.<br>

You could also buy 2 different domains and set up 2 different websites. I like the splash page better since it's more of a one stop shopping solution. You may find folks interested in your photography AND your design.<br>

Whatever you do, make sure you get that domain name. Google "godaddy coupon" and find a coupon for a discount on the domain.</p>

<p>My opinion is that your name is what people will remember when they meet you.<br>

As you network in your community (THE most valuable marketing effort) people will do a search based on your name, not on the studio name like" Awesome Images" or Dreamscape Photography".</p>

<p>As a small business person, you are the product. Sell you, not some corporate name (unless you are trying to start a chain of studios and even then Olan MIlls was a person).</p>

<p>I completely disagree with using your name in the title. OK, the HC is OK. But when I "exited" industry and started my own business (not photography) the first piece of advice I got was "Don't name it after yourself!" Reason? If your company fails, people will equate it to you failing, regardless of the reason (economy comes to mind). Yes, use the city name idea (ours is registered and is vistablackandwhiteoftaos with the usual www and com). </p>

<p><strong>Hi Heather,</strong></p>

<p><strong>When naming a business, make sure the name tells people who you are, and what you do, in the name (which your choices all did). If, as mentioned above, your location may be important for a client service area, try to work that in too, IF YOU CAN STILL KEEP THE NAME SHORT.</strong></p>

<p><strong>People will not refer to you by long names, or complicated listings of services. Better to keep the name short and snappy, and develop a theme line that tells more about your services.</strong></p>

<p><strong>Such as:</strong> <br /> <strong>Photography by Heather, "<em>Studio Portraits and Photo Design Services</em> ".</strong> <br /> <strong>Or:</strong> <br /> <strong>Heather's Photography of (<em>location</em> ), <em>"Studio Portraits and Photos Design Services"</em> </strong></p>

<p><strong>You could add your last name to any of these, but using just your first name makes it shorter and easier to remember.</strong></p>

<p><strong>Hope that helps.</strong></p>

<p><strong>Good luck...........<br /> </strong></p>

<p><strong><br /> </strong></p>

<p>Heather,<br>

In the past I worked for 2 studios that had the owners' names and I vowed never to do that. No one ever wanted to speak with anyone other than Mr. So and So. No one ever wanted anyone else to shoot. It was always used against them. It's really no way to run a business that you want to grow or potentially sell someday. Just my opinion....-Aimee</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p >Web banner Ad Design Prices</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Flash Animated Banner…….. $20.00 </p>

<p >Gif Animated Banner…………. $20.00 </p>

<p >Jpg Still Banner…………………. $15.00 </p>

<p > </p>

<p ><a title="http://www.bannerhero.com/cool-web-design/banner_ad_design.aspx" href="http://www.bannerhero.com/cool-web-design/banner_ad_design.aspx">http://www.bannerhero.com/cool-web-design/banner_ad_design.aspx</a></p>