Experiment 2 of 2: Lens Reversal

<p>I had read before of the method of lens reversal for close-up work and finally gave it a go. I used my Canon A-1 and 50mm f/1.4. When the lens was removed, the A-1 set the camera's "aperture" (what it read for metering purposes) automatically at f/5.6. The 50mm's blades closed to the same aperture when removed. The only posted photo (below) without a circular image was made by removing said lens, turning it around nose-first with a 52-55mm step-up ring attached to keep and light from getting in, and taking the photo within a couple inches of the subject.</p>

<p>The photos that are circular in shape were done with the FD 50mm lens attached to the A-1. I then put it nose-to-nose with a Yashica DSB 50mm f/1.7, whose aperture was controlled completely by the aperture ring on the lens, allowing it to remain wide open. This lens allowed/forced me to get even closer to the subjects. Below are the results. JR</p><div>00TYxI-140979584.jpg.30ff96257441b18625598a1c47765533.jpg</div>

<p>Pretty cool photos - I like the wasp nest the best.</p>

<p>I've tried this but without an adapter to actually screw the lens back onto the camera. I just tried it hand held and my results sucked. Never thought of using the step up ring like you did - good idea. I might have to try again.</p>

I never had any trouble reversing my 45 or 58mm Rokkor lens on a Minolta camera. That was known as the "poor man's macro". If I saw an interesting bug while walking in the woods, I would just take the lens off, hold the front tightly against the camera and shoot. The lens would stop down to whatever the aperture ring was set for so I would meter with the lens wide open and then stop down for the shot. I even bought a reversing ring so I could mount a lens that way. The ring with lens mount goes into the camera and the filter threads on the other side allow the lens to be screwed on.<div>00TYyQ-140985584.JPG.8c722cffb5e39e6aac71fb4aa02a3ca5.JPG</div>
James G. Dainis

<p>I read about reversal rings, but macro isn't really my normal method or style, so I don't know that it would be worth the investment.</p>

<p>Also, I tried using my EOS 3, but the camera metered at f/"00" and wouldn't allow me to change the aperture. Anybody know a way around this? Or is it just not possible to alter the default setting? JR</p>

<p>Yep, nifty trick. All I had for years with my first camera, a Miranda Sensorex, was a reversing ring and extension tube. Still handy today. With the CLA-1 hollow aluminum barrel shroud on the Olympus C-3040Z digicam, I can safely reverse-mount any lens of reasonable size and weight. The Zuiko 50/1.8 reversed made a nifty addition for macros.</p><div>00TZ2l-141007584.jpg.530da398e26b5ff05d99947c55e2504c.jpg</div>

<p>I do this with bellows; with regular lenses the best results are obtained when the image size is significantly larger than the subject size. A reversing ring is quite inexpensive. However, 2nd older macro lenses can often be had relatively cheaply nowadays and most are great for all kinds of closeups.<br>

For easy to carry, low cost and high convenience my favorite technique is still to put a high quality diopter on a tele lens, especially a zoom for convenience. But I don't know what high quality diopters cost these days, I heard that the Nikon diopters are no longer made.</p>