getting group in focus

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I was shooting yesterday for a group of people. I noticed when using AF with center controlled focusing I am having trouble getting all (4) people perfectly focused, then when I was doing it manually I was having a similar issue. What is the best way to focus on not just one specific subject but want clear crisp face(s). What would be the best setting using AF over manual</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Keith<br /> The problem might be that your subjects were not aligned. If they were at different distances of you (the camera) the one on which you get to focus will be sharp mean while the rest will get blurred. You may increase the aperture (f number) to a higher number ( I assume that you know what I am talking about) in order to get higher depth of field.<br /> Neither AF or Manual have to do with your problem. In any case, you will get correct focus on your selected subject. What you have is a problem of "accommodation" the might be corrected either, aligning the subjects or increasing the depth of field.<br>

Keith, by the way, I was wondering why are you having this problem if you have faced the same situation in many of your photographs in your portfolio... that by the way, you have nice shots! Congratulations! <br>

<br /> I hope I have helped.<br /> JC</p>

<p>J.C. and Chris have covered the answer perfectly; align yourself carefully and get a little more depth of field by stopping the lens down. The only other thing to add is that you'll want a solid tripod because stopping down the lens slows down the shutter speed.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Which is considered a low aperture f3.5 or f22?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>f/3.5, because the number is low (as opposed to high)...f/22 is considered a small aperture, because the diaphragm is relatively small (as opposed to large). f3/5 would be 'faster' than f/22, because of the resulting shutter speed (as opposed to slow).</p>