Canon or Nixon

joel_ballanger

<p>The spider in the wood pile in the future may well be Sony. They have a great camera for $3500 in the a900. Mag construction and proper weather sealing on body and lenses, and those lenses from Zeiss. If they ever get their firmware and menus/features etc sorted out, they could be a real threat. I do know for a fact that both Nikon and Canon are nervous about Sony. Its a comapny that could easily buy market share. The installed base of Canon and Nikon are keeping them out right now, but you watch what will happen if the big two stuff up on, say, lens compatibility in the near future.</p>

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Well I would suggest that you would buy a real cheap but good old film camera and practice with that. The lens could be then used in the digital camera later- Novadays people are selling Nikkormats and old Nikons in C-condition and sometimes you can get them with bargain price with a good lens. Once you have done your homework and understand all what you can do with the film camera I suggest you move to shoot more digital - and hey why not do that at the same time:)? Be just sure that you get good digital body to support the lens. Nikon digital body D90 (if that accepts the lens) would be my choice (there are many others-depends how keen you are with your hobby and how you look into future) but you have to figure out the whole budget. Cards, printers etc. If you are eager enough you might find all of the stuff at the same place. If not - do some studying after consulting camera club senior or someone who is really dedicated long time photographer and has a open mind for your project.<br>

Good luck in the search- and as you know and notice you can always consult sites like photo.net and many other as you get closer making decisions. BR Hannu </p>

<p>go for whichever offers you the right lens combination for your needs, everything else is just irrelevant. i have always shot nikon, but given my choice again, i would go canon because it is alot easier to put on leica glass.</p>

>>> FYI Joel, Nixon (ie. Richard Nixon) is a former president of the US who was impeached (fired)...

Actually, Nixon resigned. He likely would have been impeached if he had not done so.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Thanks for clearing that up for me Keith.</p>

<p>Mike must be out of his ever loving mind if he thinks the Canon equivalent to the D300 is my 1D Mark III. A $4500 camera vs a $1600 camera. Pro Level everything vs mostly consumer everything. The D300 has similar AF as the D3, but it doesnt carry real pro level quality.<br>

It is ahead of the 40D in bells and whistles, but that is the direct line of competition. The D80 is exactly a direct competitor to the Rebel XTi. They both have similar sensors. Identical noise control. Identical fps,size, level of AF etc. I know cause I did 2 months of research on the both of them when I bought the XTi. They were released at almost the exact same time. The D200/D300's have always been a direct competitor to the 30D/40D of Canon. Just recently, the Nikon started offering a lower level than the D80/D90 as a very basic entry level camera. So did Canon with the Reble XS.</p>

<p>Where in the world do you get off thinking the D300 was anywhere close to performance of a Canon 1-Series is beyond anything I've heard. By that methodology, why buy a D3 when you could just buy a D300 and get the same quality. And all the new D90 is in level compared to Canon is the new T1i. I think Nikon has more AF in the lower end cameras than Canon offers, but thats it in terms of IQ. And I thought the AF in the 40D/50D was pretty good. And probably right on with the D300. Yes I know the D300 has a 51 point AF etc. But just like with my Mark III, I always use 1 focus point anyway, so whats the use. Having all 45 points of my AF system active is only good for tracking flocks of birds maybe. No pro uses that method of AF.</p>

<p>FYI, John-- Nixon is also watch company that makes " style or sport surf watches"<br />However I do know who Nixon is, although that was long before I was born. (I am currently reading a book called <em>Worse than Watergate</em> which compares the Bush administration to the Nixonian administration and demonstrates how much worse it is, or rather was, halleluiah!). Its really good though--you should read it.<br>

Thank You for all your help, I now understand that it really boils down to personal preference, or at least that seems to be the general consensus, and I am grateful for all the help. Keep posting please, this website is a fountain of knowledge and I am extremely glad I stumbled upon it.<br>

And it looks like I will be getting a Canon EOS 40D kit with a zoom lens and a prime lens (probably EF 50/1.4) ....Unless some valuable post persuading me not to arises!<br>

Thanks again Arie-- your help concerning extended exposure was incredible and priceless- i will definitely be buy a tripod and cable release and hoping to do what your amxing pictures achieved! (they are awesome! Wow!)</p>

<p>I would recommend the Nikon D90 or the newer D5000 over the D80 as it is a little dated now,& I can't believe I'm saying this but wow the turn over in the digital market is a little much to bare at times IMHO.</p>

<p>seriuosly though, both cameras can lead you to excellent results. I would go to your local camera store and try them out. Try to see if one or the other feels better in your hands. Try adjusting aperture and shutter speeds etc... and you may find you prefer the ergonomics of one or the other. I went with the Canon 40D so that I could adapt my Zeiss lenses to it so my decision was predetermined. Either way enjoy your shooting.</p>

<p>thanks mark! your advice really confirms what most people have said and is really reasurring. In fact I am taking a trip to the local camera store this aafternoon</p>

<p>Arie this is a cable release is it not? It would work with a canon EOS 40D yah?<br>

<a href="http://www.adorama.com/CZDR5D.html?searchinfo=Cable+release+for+Canon+EOS40D">http://www.adorama.com/CZDR5D.html?searchinfo=Cable+release+for+Canon+EOS40D</a></p>

<p>the self timer works great on unchanging scenes, but I would recomend a cable release so that you can capture the exact moment and scene and not 2 seconds into the future.<br>

check ebay for cable releases - I find buying from hong kong via ebay is often cheaper than going to my local Toronto store.</p>

<p>My choice was also between Canon and NiKon when I was to choose my digital equipment. As others have pointed out, you have to feel the cameras, how they are in your hands. Both are magnificent systems, with lots of extra accessories and lenses, so whatever you choose you cannot go wrong.</p>

<p>But ergonomics is the main, main desicion point.</p>