Rollei ATP 1.1 Processing

<p>I've shot and processed Rollei ATP 1.1 using both Rodinal and the ATP-DC developer to develop the film. With each developer, I rated the film at 25. In my opinion, each developer performed very well, tho some other people here may tell you that Rodinal is an emergency only developer for this film and that you should stick with the Rollei RLC and/or ATP-DC developers. However, when using ATP-DC developer with this film, I didn't use good enough quality demi-water and an iron complex formed on the film, looking like black pepper dots in some area. I hear the same can happen with Rollei RLC developer. I have not had this problem with Rodinal, both in 35mm and 120 formats. I'll post some examples later.</p>

<p>From my experience, Rollei ATP 1.1 and Kodak Tech Pan can be developed exactly the same way. I've used Rodinal 1:300 for 12 minutes to develop both films with excellent results. There is a test on Digital Truth that compares each film in Rodinal and Technidol.</p>

<p>http://www.digitaltruth.com/products/product_tests/atp_film_002.php</p>

<p>http://www.digitaltruth.com/products/product_tests/atp_film_003.php</p>

<p>I like the RLC developer also the most. The iso speed is however 20-25.<br>

With Rodinal 1+150 I tested the ATP1.1 film last week. The biggest disadvantage is the speed: iso 12-15 which is rather low.</p>

<p>With the ATP-DC developer you will get full speed: iso 32-40. The grain is not so tight then with the RLC.<br>

On my Flickr pages different examples. But I even doubt on the higher resolution Flickr pages you can find this back.<br>

Rodinal: <a href=" Rodinal_1+150-3

ATP-DC: <a href=" Elvira_web

Imagespeed: <a href=" Ravenstein_Rollei_ATP-V1web-2 and a small part of it,<br>

RLC: <a href=" RLC_small-part

<p>Maybe interesting to compare with Efke 25 in Beutler (High Definition) 1+1+10.<br>

<a href=" Efke_25_UP25_web-1

<p>and the same item on ATP1.1 in Rodinal 1+150:</p>

<p><a href="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2471/3546616984_db10012b8b_o.jpg">http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2471/3546616984_db10012b8b_o.jpg</a><br>

where you can see the limitation of both handfree shots (M7 + Summarit 2,5/75mm) ending with some blurr due to the very low iso rate (12-15) of ATP1.1 in Rodinal. You need a tripod.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>While the ISO in Rodinal 1:150 may be 12-15, you achieve an ISO of 25 using Rodinal 1:300 for 12 minutes. Another issue for me is cost of the developer. I don't shoot these films often enough to warrant using these special developers, which last nowhere near as long as Rodinal does. I just finished a bottle of Rodinal that was seven years old and still working beautifully, tho the developer was very dark in color, like coffee.</p>

<p>Anyways, you can purchase the liter size of RLC developer for $32.99 in the US and each roll of ATP 1.1 requires 52 mL of concentrate to 208 mL distilled water. So, you could develop around 20 rolls for the price of the developer. The ATP DC developer costs the same, but has to be diluted 1:11.5 - for argument's sake, say it's 1:10. If you have a 250 mL tank, you'll need 25 mL of solution per roll. With the bottle only being 140 mL, you get 5 or 6 rolls done.</p>

<p>For these reasons, I find Rodinal to be a much more economical developer. You get a speed of 25 at a 1:300 dilution and the concentrate lasts forever. You also don't have to worry about using pharmaceutical grade water if you want to avoid forming iron complexes. This is just my personal opinion tho.</p>

<p>While the ISO in Rodinal 1:150 may be 12-15, you achieve an ISO of 25 using Rodinal 1:300 for 12 minutes. Another issue for me is cost of the developer. I don't shoot these films often enough to warrant using these special developers, which last nowhere near as long as Rodinal does. I just finished a bottle of Rodinal that was seven years old and still working beautifully, tho the developer was very dark in color, like coffee.</p>

<p>Anyways, you can purchase the liter size of RLC developer for $32.99 in the US and each roll of ATP 1.1 requires 52 mL of concentrate to 208 mL distilled water. So, you could develop around 20 rolls for the price of the developer. The ATP DC developer costs the same, but has to be diluted 1:11.5 - for argument's sake, say it's 1:10. If you have a 250 mL tank, you'll need 25 mL of solution per roll. With the bottle only being 140 mL, you get 5 or 6 rolls done.</p>

<p>For these reasons, I find Rodinal to be a much more economical developer. You get a speed of 25 at a 1:300 dilution and the concentrate lasts forever. You also don't have to worry about using pharmaceutical grade water if you want to avoid forming iron complexes. This is just my personal opinion tho.</p>

<p>Robert, if the combination of ATP 1.1 and Rodinal 1:150 does only yield a speed of 12-15, then perhaps it should be changed on the Rollei developing chart located here - </p>

<p>http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie/Development_Rollei%20films.pdf</p>

<p>For ATP 1.1, it lists the tested and recommended developer combination as ASA 25, Rodinal 1:150 for 6.5 minutes.</p>

• 2 weeks later...