Robert Frank's images on display in SF

newbie1

<p>Jack Kerouac wrote: "Anybody don't loke these pictures don't like potry." <br>

Great documentary street photographer and photos.</p>

<p>San Francisco museum of modern art<br>

151 third street<br>

san francisco<br>

1-415-357-4000</p>

<p>now through August 23rd</p>

<p>I saw the Robert Frank show at the National Gallery in DC. The show is awesome! The images from <em>The Americans</em> are so much better appreciated directly, rather than in published reproduction. That said, the accompanying book is great! I think my favorite part of the exhibit is a wall of unframed, unmatted work prints that serve to show Frank's monumental editing task that he had to endure to cull the number of images down to just those presented in the book. There is a regular guy quality that the work print piece adds to the show and to the legend that surrounds Frank and his most cited book.</p>

<p>Back in March, Frank gave a lecture about his work at the National Gallery in DC. I don't know if he plans to do the same out in SF. If you are in the area, the show is well worth a full afternoon of your time. I always liked <em>The Americans</em>, but I was never truly inspired by the work. That changed when I saw the show and learned more about Frank's approach, process and vision. The book's forward by Kerouac is an added bonus, and I think there was an original manuscript of it in the show as well. There were definitely examples of Frank's written notes from the road.</p>

<p>Go see this show!</p>

<p>Michael J Hoffman</p>

<p>I tried Googling™ for this, but could find both nothing and too much. Does anyone know if this exhibit (is it the same one that was in Washington?) will be traveling to other museums around the country, and when and where?</p>

<p>Well, that kind of keeps me out. The Browercenter, per the site anyway, is open weekdays only and from 10:00am to 5:00 pm. I am one of those people that have to work during the week. You would think a gallery would be open on the weekend?</p>

<p>I just saw a large paperback 'Looking In' at a bookstore, which I assume is the accompanying book to the exhibition (I didn't look inside; it was shrink wrapped). Amazon has a hardcover book with the same title and describe it as 'Expanded Edition.' Does anyone know if these are the same book except for the cover?</p>